[FEEDBACK] New Tutorial Quiz Questions

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Krysyy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. I popped open the form and immediately drew a blank for making suggestions. But, if you want a beta-tester I'm game. :) Software Engineer by trade here.
  2. This reminded me a lot of my thread suggesting quests for new players as an alternative to loading them up with tons of information all at once and quizzing them. There would still be a short tutorial, but it would only have the absolute essentials. Everything else would be taught/learned through a series of optional quests. The advantages of quests are:
    • Players can start playing faster.
    • Information is learned at the player's own pace.
    • The information feels optional rather than forced.
    • It's a lot more fun for new players.
    https://empireminecraft.com/threads/in-game-tutorial-quests-for-new-players.64275/

EMC loses a lot of players early on by forcing them to undertake a long tutorial. It's not really fair to EMC or the players because the server is a lot more fun once you get past the tutorial. In contrast, the quests would give players options of what they wanted to learn next, and not be forced. New players would undertake them to get extra loot to help them get started.
  3. Will there also be text informing people not to demolish the frontier/wilderness?

I ask because me and some others are occasionally restoring stuff on SMP6 Frontier E. It's a HUGE undertaking. but we've made a noticeable dent tho.

I'd hate to see this work undone in a hurry if there's ever a flood of newbies. . .
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Can we have a test where "Welcome to town! Chat has been turned on!" Message so you can catch spammers instantly? Checks for links or ips said in chat in this area.

If someone talks normally it should pop out as "Hey, good you can talk! Many members love to talk! Now let us move to the next test"
    SkeleTin007 and Vortixin like this.
  5. You just make a front-line of obvious player-made structures that get reset often, and automatically ban new players who destroy them.
  6. We had a tutorial that resembled this system in the past and it led to more confusion than the quiz set-up.

For this thread, please stick to the quiz question suggestions instead of linking to your alternate suggestion.
    Blondekid42 and SirTah like this.
  7. Yes, the friendly statues tell the players this as well. :)
    Perry_Stahlsis and SirTah like this.
  8. Those statues aren't friendly. One of them bit me once.
  9. I think that people should know that 1. griefing is ABSOLUTELY not acceptable, and if they do grief that it will be reported ASAP... 2. they should know how to use the /c (channel) command, as I notice so many new people using town chat (also, new supporters use town chat whilst talking to somebody in the wild, common noob mistake), 3. that if things are built in the waste, it is STILL not a reason to grief, even though it will get reset soon... 4. that you CAN change SMPs and reset your residence... 5. that there is a /ignore command, if somebody gets annoying... 6. how to change your residence teleport location. LOTS of new people don't know how to use this, and ask constantly in town chat. 7. that /res pset or /res set will set player permissions on your residence, and that staff won't help if your residence gets griefed. 8. how the shop signs work. This is the hardest thing to explain to new players, as they don't seem to know how to use flags, I.E. they don't know how to give you permission to put up a shop sign on their residence to help them out. 9. How the vaults work. This is just something that isn't explained very well in the tutorial. 10. I believe that all players should know how to use the /horse riders and the /horse release commands. I only found out about them a month ago. How would I have known they existed if I hadn't searched through the entire /help? 11. Lastly, I think that it should be called to EVERY new player's attention the illegal mods, and the punishment for using them. There are some players that are too lazy or too distrustful to use the links in chat, and so I believe it would be good if you put up ALL of the illegal mods somewhere in the tutorial. It's a little ridiculous that I, after paying attention the first time in the tutorial, learned things off of the new tutorial... although, it does mean that you guys have improved it :)

Thanks for reading this entire thing. I hope that some, if not all, of the things in here are added to the tutorial. Thanks for your attention, Krysyy!
    JustCallMe_Bunni likes this.
  10. I think for some new players, begging is an issue. I'm not sure how you would phrase that question but it's something I think should be addressed.

I also agree with Harp4Christ- Griefing NEEDS to be addressed. It's a problem and new players need to understand why it's wrong and the consequences that will result of they grief.
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  11. A very good Idea! Yesterday on smp1 we had a lot of problems with using the wrong chat types! XD
  12. I keep seeing things like these and it makes me thing. Are they griefing outside of town?
  13. Yes, there are several griefings out of town. I have a structure build on smp7 that has been griefed repeatedly. While I don't know of griefings in town personally, I'm sure they happen. Griefing is a pointless and selfish crime that has no benefit in the end, and new players should know this.
  14. Lol, this is something similar when it comes to questions, but without the ability to see what the person ahead of you chose. So many players just followed other newbies instead of looking up the answers themselves.
  15. Truth. I did this on another server before. To be fair no one had a clue where to go :p
    Harp4Christ likes this.
  16. I don't know how much you plan to change the current tutorial, but something I find important to have added is another room that shows new players how shops work. Ideally this would be a new room like the Waste/Frontier/Town ones. It would be set up like a player shop on the inside (a small one, not a mall). Maybe sell 15 items in it, and the prices/signs would be the Empire Shop signs.

In this room you could explain how to create the shop signs, how to create and use the +shop tag correctly, and some tips that would help the player with understanding the server. Tips like:
    • Organizing a shop correctly, so that players can find stuff easily
    • Price items based on other shops prices on your SMP, so that stuff sells
    • Items that are harder to get or are in demand are worth more and how to determine what items these are
    These are just a few tips off the top of my head. I have seen many players leave the server because they get frustrated that nobody is buying from their shop, and they have no idea why.
    In this room or another, I would also suggest explaining what 'promos' are, and that they are valuable because they can not be replaced. This will help to educate new players so that other players can not swindle them out of their promos so easily.

The reason why I suggest this is because I just went through the tutorial this morning, and I could not find any mention of shops inside it. Players are taught the rules of server, and how to navigate it, but are never taught how our economy works, which is one of the largest aspects of the game. The NewPlayer Guide's only mention of shops and the economy is "Open a shop! It will help you earn money and buy more items that you need." Players have to go to the wiki and read about shops there to even begin learning about them. Teaching them in-game is very important, in my opinion.

I would be willing to help come up with questions for this room and develop more ideas if this idea is considered, as I know many other people would.
  17. The tutorial we had in 2013 was great. That one should be brought back and it should be updated as well. I thought it was great because of the way that you could interact with it (you could claim a residence and set up a locked chest. The new one should have a shop set up tutorial)! If the residence claiming tutorial was added again, players shouldn't have a residence right when they exit the tutorial so they aren't confused. I often see new players asking where they can live, get a residence, or "start a town." If they claimed their own residence much like in the past, they would be aware of the existence of their own residence. :)

18. I wasn't on in 2013, but this sounds like a great tutorial that should be brought back. When I first took the tutorial last year, I know I was confused and had to ask some friends who had been on longer than me for help. I think the tutorial you described should be updated and used. :D
    UltiPig and SirTah like this.
  19. I can agree to that
    UltiPig likes this.
  20. There were a lot of issues on staff side with that tutorial, which led to giant red arrows that STILL were confusing to players, but we liked the idea of it. People just weren't reading instructions well enough. The new tutorial is looking to be a version 2.0 of this hopefully, with less chance of confusion.