[EVENT] EMC Birthday Big Event Part 2

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by Krysyy, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Thanks Shel for the awesome summary.
    I hope I can attend the 2nd part tonight. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. What events are there?
  3. Everyone's giving their all during the invisible parkour maze portion of the event. Caught this screen shot of Krysyy overseeing things:

4. Literally me right now looking at the invisible parkour:

Vizsco, Sweetie_Pea, FDNY21 and 3 others like this.
  5. That's amazing! :D That means it took me 46 seconds to give the right answer, at first I really couldn't believe I was the first to give it :p

I have some screenshots too, I'm not sure whether to share them here or in the random screenshot thread :p I think the random screenshot thread hasn't got enough love from me lately, so it should go there ;) (edit: here)

Oh, also: with the changed OP and title, Krysyy, it gets a bit odd reading this back. Now it seems like we're reacting to the part 2, while we were commenting on the part 1.
  6. No worries, I did that for you ;)
    And holy crap was it a lot :p
    Towards the end of the chest portion, we had a whopping total of 165 players on Utopia at the same time :p
  7. So did anyone ever finish the parkour from hell? ..I know around 2am a friend checked in on it and people were still trying to complete it xD
    wildbeast23 likes this.
  8. The EMC birthday event part 1 of part 2 report :D

This is part 2, for the first part report click here.

So at 8PM EMC time it was time for part 2 of this historical event. And I use that word on purpose.

But before I go on: I always try to keep my eyes out for details and even in the midst of mayhem still try to spot cries for help in town chat (and actually help them). That's just who I am, and it's also why I often spot other details.

I know some of you aren't happy about the proceedings, mostly because some of you missed the first give away. So before I start I really want to get this out of the way:

The server was jampacked, didn't even fit the screen anymore!

We peeked at 180 players online total on Utopia!

Also notice the amount of Senior Staff here?

Now, senior staff can become invisible (so we can't see them) and I know that B4dman was also there for a moment (I also think I briefly spotted Chickeneer). I'm also sure Aikar wasn't there (he had family obligations to attend to) and I also think I never saw Matheus either.

We have 6 senior staff in total (see the list of staff) and Krysyy was obviously also helping out here. So at the peek of 180 players this would mean that one staff member had to help out around 25 players. But as I said: they weren't all present. I think it is more likely that we had around 3 staff members helping out. So that means one staff member had to try and help out around 60 players at the beginning.

And that's excluding everything else going on behind the scenes: keeping possible spoilsports in mind, getting PM'd, getting asked questions (assumptions on my part). Also: I hope you don't think that the normal staff duties on the other servers simply stops during these events, right? Events aren't for everyone, and I know plenty of players who didn't want to bother and just wanted to play their Minecraft game.

So within all that chaos, that sea of players, staff still did their utmost best to get things done.

I can understand if you're unhappy because you somehow didn't got anything and I sympathize with that. However, I also hope that after seeing these numbers that you can agree with me that staff really gave it their everything to try and make this work out.

It began

Cake everywhere and we were all puzzled as to what was going to happen. Krysyy turned out to be present and at one moment asked us to make sure to be standing on the diamond blocks. I think it was funny because I don't know about you, but even after playing falling floor they still managed to catch me by surprise.

Because soon after the whole floor disappeared under our feet and we all dropped down. To our doom? :eek: No: to even more prizes! :cool:

There were lanes and in each lane were several chests (I didn't count them ;)). So after we dropped down the idea was to stand behind a chest, wait for senior staff to pass and place a sign and then you could claim your chest.

I know, I know: they took their sweet time (but please read the first section :confused:) and I know some players got impatient. But seriously... In my opinion this was another excellent way to try and give every visitor a nice present. Staff even kept their eyes open for details and I really respect that.

True story: Yes, I brought my alter-ego along, but honestly this isn't so much for the prizes but because this is what I simply like to do. Same applies to the something fishy event, the SMP2 organized FNM, etc. So during part 1 Krysyy spotted Aya and quickly PM'd me that real players came first, alts had to wait. To which I quickly PM'd back that she should ignore Aya alltogether because I could well imagine that there where way too many real players waiting.... It wouldn't be fair otherwise.

But... Now that there was a new set of gifts I figured it would only be fair (within my gameplay) if Aya were to get these. This also allowed me to run out of the lane a few times and point other players to the (at that time) still unclaimed chests in our lane.

And so:

Oh, and that story about staff giving it their everything?

Another True story: A dear friend of mine (Shiyvah) also came along but got a little later to the party. So she jumped in, initially couldn't find a chest but staff quickly started adding new ones which she could claim. So at one point Krysyy started asking people to leave the area which made it easier on staff. Then I noticed RainbowChin asking if everyone had a chest yet. I PM'd Shiyvah, she told me that hers was still without a sign so I quickly PM'd Chin: problem solved.

Seriously guys: staff really tried hard to help us all out.

An overview of the area, notice the amount of players down there!

Round 2: Let's eat the cake!

Players were asked to spread around the cakes. And eventually we got build access (no tool access!) which allowed us to 'eat' the cake. Eating cake with our hands Krysyy? I guess that explains why all my stuff kept sticking to my hands afterwards :D

There were 9 renamed wool blocks somewhere within all cakes. Get the block, PM the secret code and you won a prize.

We didn't got anything but I also seriously couldn't care too much about that. This was fun you guys!

But then... All that fun would soon be replaced with utter frustration because now it was time for the next part.. :eek:

Round 3: The parkour of hell Krysyy

Saw the balloons up there in those pictures (this report and my first one)? What we couldn't see was that there were barrier blocks there (these are invisible blocks). All spread around in a parkour. For those who are now wondering: "An invisible parkour, what devious person would come up with that?" I'd like to share the following:

The truth has been revealed!

This was shear madness, and now I know how they came up with that name in the first place :D

No, this is not a glitch: this is the start of the parkour!

That picture up there shows you what happened when 150+ players tried to take on an invisible parkour all at once :D

And rage quit some did! :eek:

Players actually started to get further... A little bit :p

And this basically lasted for hours. You see, the problem is that this wasn't only parkour. Nuuh, that would have been too easy. It also had a maze, so there was a likely chance that you thought you went the right way, only to end up in a dead end. And the only way to spot a dead end was to conclude that a jump was impossible. But since you couldn't see...

It lasted so long that eventually Krysyy started to make some blocks visible but even that didn't help. This took so long (after an hour everyone was still going at it) that eventually it got decided that the last part was to be postponed until tomorrow.

I have no idea if the prize has been claimed yet, but figured I'd get this report out anyway.

And there you have it. So part 3 of part 2 of these events will be added to part 3; the mini event.

And if you got a headache by now try thinking of all those poor players who kept trying and never made it so far :D
  9. Haha, thanks for the report, Shel!
    I do have something planned tomorrow, but I actually ended up sleeping decently well tonight, and else I'll have a great day tomorrow even while tired.
    So I think I'm going to try make it to today's event too!
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. So for those of you wondering: this nether spawned parkour, straight from the evilish mind of Krysyy herself has not been beaten yet. At least not to everyone's knowledge. Meaning so much that Krysyy's initial expectation of this event to run for at least 2 hours got extended by roughly 10 more.

It was around 4am (local time) when this was ongoing, it was 5am (local time) when I ran off. It is now 17:00 (local time).

Note to self: if $(parkour) made_by Player("Krysyy"); then run_like_hell();
    TomvanWijnen and Hashhog like this.
  11. Update: The parkour is still going and no one has claimed the prize.

If you think you've got what it takes to beat the Stairway to Heaven, come try your luck.
    As Hashhog so aptly said last night: 'You've got to go through Hell to get to Heaven'

A mini-event will be taking place at noon, followed by part 3 of the Big Event Part 2.
    I look forward to seeing you all there. Post will go up shortly.
    Hashhog, FDNY21, AyanamiKun and 3 others like this.
  12. Nothing on Monday? Sad I'm away for all the Bday events :(
  13. You can always enter some of the give away events on the forums. Like for example the <cough>spam</cough> alt appreciation event :p
    607 likes this.
  14. I may know two guys who'd appreciate your appreciation event ;)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. I just wanted to say Happy Birthday EMC!!!

These two events were fun btw. I unfortunately had to leave during "Shear Madness" (I think that's the name?) in Event II, but...
    Are you serious?! That is crazy! I guess there is a darker force behind this event after all... :p
    I may go try again later if it's still open, Something tells me I will have amazing luck. (jk on that last part. :p)

Anyways, Thank you Staff for both hosting this event and making EMC the great Server it is!!!
    We've been around for 5 years now, lets hope for ∞ more to come. :)

Edit, ninjas :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. So, part three of the 2nd part of the bday event is after the death event?
  17. Correct.
    BenMA likes this.
  18. Good, cause I have to run to the store, I will be a little late.. :(
  19. The parkour is insane, but pretty fun if you've got the amazing Rhythmically to guide you now and then. ;)
    Rhythmically likes this.
  20. I am not a sherpa.

Okay, yes I am.
    ShelLuser likes this.