[Est. Outpost] People of Carthaga (PoC)

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Kaizimir, May 18, 2014.

1. Could anyone who is willing to donate any heads please give them to me? It is for the april fools day event. I will set up a drop box at the carthage spawn
  2. So...who won the valentine's day contest?
  3. I think the deadline is end of Feb.
  4. It isn't over yet I hope there will be more entries before the end of the month
  5. Information on Empire Minecraft player Kaizimir
    Group: Regular
    Derelict Status: In 22days, 20 hours
    Voting: 313 Bonus - Last: 37 days, 12 hours

Online Status: Offline
    First Empire Sign-in: 1416 days, 19 hours ago
    This player is your friend.

Yes, I do keep tracking on you Kai of when you've been online last time.
    Wonder when you will be online.....:rolleyes:
    Scorpio528 likes this.
  6. Erm, yeah, haven't been online for a week and I miss it. But no need to post my status; everybody can check in-game if they want.

Generally I try to be online on the weekends, which didn't work out the last. One thing is the weird timezone I am in. Most of the time when I am online most of the members sleep or aren't online. Very often I am the only player on smp4, except maybe Skarceboi's 25 alts.

Edit: Please know, you can also always reach me on the forums, which is much more accessible for me than the game itself at this moment.
    Roslyn, SkareCboi and penfoldex like this.
  7. Why does carthaga seem to always be empty everytime I check...?
  8. Well, that status post supposed to be humorous, but it doesn't seem to work :p
  9. Hehe, always when I meet you online it is dinner time for me :rolleyes:
  10. which is also my lunch time xD
  11. I rarely have lunch :eek:
  12. This probably has several reasons, some of which are a bit complicated. But I will try to explain.

1. Which time zone are you in and is it compatible or close to the one of other/most members? And how often and long do you try to meet other members? Let's say you just sneak in for 5 minutes every know and then really chances are small to meet somebody. If you stay a bit and maybe try several times chances are good to run across somebody.

It is also good to know who is on the member list and if they are online, invite them to a /group. Many come out of smp-town to Carthaga when they find somebody active out there or an interesting project is going on. (Boy, we had times chat would get so confused because too many people were chattering. Or remembering the great times, when 4-5-6 of us were building one of the big farms together over days)

2. My IRL obligations don't allow for much gaming/Minecraft sessions (really the only game I play for real) and make it hard for me to care for the community as I did before.
    So I hand the ball over to you guys: Connect, find your friends to continue with this project and make your own creations. There is a beautiful and self-sustaining city out there. Take it from here! Honestly, you cannot do wrong, if you keep it alive.

For example, Tisso would like some help with the city planning, he is looking for builders. Take part in SteamboatWillie's events, he is waiting for more entries in the Valentines Stories (deadline end Feb) and future events. And there is a complete University to be filled with content.

Here is my shout out: I need you People of Carthaga to jump in for me and continue this fruitful community with great people and great opportunities.

3. I know, many times it doesn't feel like, but Carthaga is one of the most successful outposts on EMC (and in my opinion the one most active, versatile and creative). Look around you (go to: Forums -> Wilderness Frontier, click on "Replies" or "Views" to sort by that category) This is what it looks like:
    Btw I want us to be #2 after LLO as soon as possible :)
    If you follow the threads of the other big outposts you will notice that all have their struggle with activity. Why is that?

Well, now it gets complicated. I have been thinking about this a lot and the following is merely expressing my own opinion and I am more than happy to hear everybodies opinion:

1. Text and voice chat limit the number of people that can communicate effectively at the same time. Let's say you have a group of 20 players in chat, it is almost impossible to act in conjunction without forming subgroups. For example, I cannot imagine to create a fairly complex build with such a group at the same time.

2. EMC does not support our way of playing. There is no effective griefing protection, no teleportation, and town chat is muted when you are not a supporter. The latter can make you feel really lonely when no other players are around you. It has also clearly been stated that shops in the wilderness will not be possible depriving outposts of being attractive for the economy.

3. Aspects of promotional items, earn millions of rupees, i.e. economy, and short term staff events have a big emphasize on EMC. The server provides very little incentive for longterm commitment to a project like Carthaga (Why not have staff events promoting outposts/contests only applicable in the frontiers).

4. A public outpost needs players that act independently, finish their projects and actively contribute to the community. It needs players that put in their reliability, responsibility and creativity over extended periods of time. This is what makes the community survive. Only, these players are not easily found. But I am grateful and proud that our city has a lot of this type of members to make Carthaga the place it is today since May 2014.

-----------------

Seemingly simple question, long answer. Sorry for the wall of text, but this is what was moving in my head for quite some time and I am happy I could share it with you.

tldr: Carthaga is a community city. Go ahead and make it your city! If you have an awesome project post here. If you have a question post here, PM me or drop a book in my Carthaga mailbox (will take longer to respond though :p). And the most important thing: Have fun!
  13. If anyone's on later in the night, make a group with me and you won't be lonely (ᵔᴥᵔ) I'm usually on at like 11 to 3 at night EMC time. P.S I'm Salman_Majid =P
    Kaizimir likes this.
  14. I can usually be on from 7pm-11pm emc time
  15. I can make a list of ideas for anyone looking for a project idea
  16. Maybe a new part of the city North of current Carthage...Carthaga City Limits?
    Town Hall
    Obelisk...Washington Monument?(LOT of quartz would take a while)
    Capitol building
    Art Museum
    Restaurant
    Theme Park
    Water Park
    Mini golf course
    Botanical Gardens
    Zoo
    Aquarium
    Arboretum
    Spa
    Beach Resort
    Campgrounds
    Variety of shops
    -Bakers
    -Tailors
    -Cartographers
    -etc
    Pet Shop
    Greenhouse
    Power Plant

More to come!
    Kaizimir likes this.
  17. Just wanna add one thing: Zombie Apocalypse Shelter
  18. When was the POC website last updated? I can help with updating it with more recent info (member lists, ranks, events, pics)
  19. I think we need sorter for iron blocks now xD
    Kaizimir likes this.
  20. Could all active members post something on this thread
    Kaizimir likes this.