Empire Wild Policy - How to Register an Outpost

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Aikar, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok. I got on fine now. Must have had some internet problems. Thank you.
  2. is there a specific format for the thread titles when posting for a wild claim?
  3. I just have a suggestion that if a protection system is implemented, the lowest part of the map (say below 32 height) remain public, because that is almost exclusively used for mining, and it really sucks if you can't place torches in deep caves and mobs keep spawning, and you don't know how large the protection zone is that you have to mine around.
    607 likes this.
  4. But keep in mind that for mining the wastelands are primary resource, and the protecting areas with dragon eggs will be in the frontier
  5. Well, the problem is that the wastelands are reset without any warning whatsoever, so you can't store anything there and there's no point in building a decent mine. Storing basic necessities mean that each trip transports 9 slots less of inventory. Also, it takes 8 times as long to transport things because the nether is 1vs1. So really, the wilderness is the best place to mine. You don't have to go out very far to find ores, or untouched desert, and certainly much less than 8 times as far as you'd have to go in the wasteland. The only point in the wasteland is if the specific thing you want to mine is only found in the new update.
  6. I'm just going to say you are wrong about there being no point storing or building anything in the waste. It doesn't get reset THAT often, and the benefit of establishing yourself outweighs the loss if it's all reset. As long as you transport out most of what you are getting as you get it. And there are multiple ways to transport things fast.

I have not been on EMC long, but I understand there has usually been a fair amount of warning before waste was reset. Though it's not promised, and not guaranteed.

Having said that: I'll also agree that mining in the wild is far easier and more beneficial. For many reasons. The nether/overworld travel distance is one. The ability to build long term mining/development operations is another. For people like me who like to build, and have many systems to make things faster, more efficient, and more profitable, the waste offers a very unreliable working area.

Honestly, the only reason I would want to go mine in the wastelands atm, is for 1.7.2 blocks. Otherwise, wastelands just make it much harder to obtain stuff than just mining in the wild. I don't know why Admin chose to make the waste the way it is, it's not helpful.

I guess that's why so many people stip-mine the wild anyway, despite the 'rules'. It's just much easier/safer.
    azoundria likes this.
  7. This reset of the wasteland they gave 24 hours notice on the website only, with no email or on-server mention until it was done, and refused to accept that they could have given more notice. I was on the server the night before at 3AM, and didn't check the website. There was no date communicated via the server until 15 minutes before the reset. Anyways, I was only upset about the fortune 3 pickaxe, which I happened to pick up in time so it wasn't lost.

So I'm glad someone else agrees with me here, but nobody in that thread did.
  8. Don't rope me into your whining. I'm not agreeing with you at all on that. You were wrong. I got much advanced notice of wasteland reset, so I have no idea what black hole you were living in until the reset.

I'm just agreeing the wastelands is harder to mine than the wild is all.

I'm putting you on ignore, and never coming back to this thread, you are driving me nuts.
    RainbowChin likes this.
  9. If I am wrong, please correct me. I believe that on the server, they broadcasted a message that said to check the site to keep up to date on when the update would be finished. As was stated in the past, when updates are done, the wastelands are reset. Its also just common knowledge. It is the player's responsibility to keep up to date with this kind of stuff, Aikar isn't going to go all Twitter like and spoonfeed everyone the exact information. It is also advised against building or leaving anything of value in the wastelands, for this exact reason.
    607 and mba2012 like this.
  10. You know what! You're absolutely right! It's common knowledge that the wastelands are reset every update. There was a warning it would happen without notification when I set up my mine. And there were periodic posts that an update was getting close. I was very stupid to keep mining for the 2 months leading up to the actual update. I'm clearly not the smartest when it comes to these 'common knowledge' things. It still doesn't change that I, as in me, as in the stupid one, was still surprised when this reset happened. I, the stupid whiny one, was still upset that very suddenly and without warning, my stuff disappeared. And I, again stupid and whiny, am still upset that, even though I'm stupid and wrong, and whiny, don't feel any sort of closure or resolution on this issue except not to use the wasteland because the reality of the situation means it does not suit the purpose for which it was created.

I'm very sorry to have wasted your time by bringing up this issue again. I couldn't help but notice that a lot of what was said lined up with some of my view about the wastelands not serving their purpose of being a mine, and I didn't mean to imply that you agreed with everything I said. I tried to edit my post and that also doesn't work for me, and the preview option isn't immediately visible so I, being a stupid person, hadn't used it, which is entirely my fault, because a forum doesn't have to provide a working edit feature, it's 'common knowledge' that what you post on the internet becomes public for all to see immediately and should be proofread, and I knew I was accepting a risk when I posted on the forums (as outlined in the Terms of Service in all caps).

It still doesn't change that you've ignored me, that you want nothing to do with me, and that I'm further upset by that. I just don't think this community has a place for stupid people like me.
  11. *sighs
  12. naw bro it aint like that at all calm down folks and lemme break it down adventure style.
    mining in the waste has its advantages, its easy and you dont have to go very far to find things usually. BUT in the chance you do go far it is harder to bring back.
    mining in the wilderness also has its advantages, quick access to resources like diamonds/redstone/coal that you may need to repair things and not have to go 50k back to town to get. you can also build things along the bedrock and have a stable ground beneath your building that mobs wont spawn on.

both have equal cost advantages and both can be used by the explorer to mine/build but wastelands WILL get reset eventually so perhaps a simple makeshift build there will suffice. personally i built a hopper tube all the way to spawn once from the edge of the map just to see how it worked (it was buggy btw) but i got those hoppers out before the reset.

be nice to azound he has a legitimate concern even if its slightly skewed towards an unfair bias. yall were all newer then you are now once too and probly asked all sorts of misinformed questions just like i did and continue to do.
    607 and cddm95ace like this.
  13. I'm not against the wasteland being reset at all. I didn't have much out there, a couple enchanted picks, some tools, partial stacks, etc... It would have taken about 30 minutes to get it all out. Another server I joined recently has a reset schedule, say monthly, and it's done every month. There's no guessing when it will happen. Here, there was a 2 month window, in which I suppose I'm supposed to abandon my mine or carry my tools back and forth, which without an understanding of mules, wastes precious inventory. In a single motivated day, I have mined out 6 doublechests cobble, 9 doublechests sand, 5 doublechests sandstone, and a doublechest or two of coal and iron ores. So, that's the kind of stuff I have to move back to town from desert mining. Just trust me, it's a lot easier to leave my tools out there ready for me, than to cart them back and forth with every trip. So all this means is that you can expect some more sprawling deserts to disappear in the wilderness and more strip mining under the surface.
  14. I am not sure why you are taking the course of action that you are. You can just use mules and enderchests until the next update for vanilla MC is released, and then move out early if it really worries you that much. What I really don't understand is why you are attempting to take this out on us, the players who have been in similar situations to you before, some of us have even had our res's reset. Why threaten the community's equivalent to a nature preserve because you lost a few common tools?

This may come off as rude, harsh, or whatever term you like, but this is the biggest issue with what you are conveying. You put a severe lack of effort into attempting to keep your items safe (there were many, many warnings on the site about when it was expected to come), yet you are trumpeting to the world about the "injustice" that has fallen on you. I have yet to see you take any serious responsibility for your own lack of action, and have only seen you blame the people around you. My alt's res was reset due to me forgetting to log in and check it. I lost well over 50k worth of items alone, not including tools. But I didn't go parading around blaming the server staff for not harassing me about my lack of action, I just facepalmed against myself and said "You dun goofed jk, you dun goofed".

You are human, humans make mistakes. You made a mistake. The best time to learn is when one falls the hardest, and it seems that this has impacted you greatly. Use this happening to create a new habit of keeping up to date with what is going on. And please, stop trying to blame everyone else. Not only does it reflect badly upon you in general, it also makes it seem like you are trying to surround yourself with the fog of entitlement.
    cddm95ace and darkvilla like this.
  15. Dude....
    First of all bring a ender chest and store your tools in that, plus more crap that you want to bring back.
    Second a couple stacks of cobble stone are more important than your tool's? By the sound of it you would need to make more than one trip out, you should of taken your tool's with you on your first trip then left them in town before you left to get more stuff...
    Third why would you leave so much stuff out there that is so important to you and then go off and do other things on the server, when you know the waste's are subject to resets... I know I would not leave any thing out there that has value to me, but then I don't mind having a hot bar full of tool's and only mine tell my inventory is full then head back to town... That what the waste's are good for, it's only 2k ~ 3k blocks to any outpost take's a hole ten minutes to get back to town? That's only if your on the far edge of the waste's.

I am sorry you lost your stuff, I really am. We all have done some thing we wish we could undo but we live and learn. But getting this mad at every one is not helping. If you can think of something constructive that would help this not happen if the future then buy all means hit up the suggestion's forum. Just don't huff and puff kick and stomp your feet Your only making your self look bad.
    RexBulby and cddm95ace like this.
  16. I too have lost my res, which definitely had more than a million rupees of inventory, and I didn't even mention it, because that was my totally my fault and full notice was provided of when it would be reset! It says 10 days, I was gone way more than 10 days (in fact about 2 months), and so it got reset. It had dozens of transactions happening daily, even when it disappeared. But I didn't come here complaining, because I knew WHAT would happen and I knew WHEN it would happen.

On the basis of the literal reset-without-notice policy, storing anything is risky. Enderchests allow me to transport a DC+9stacks at a time, which I was using, but I still didn't want to waste that additional capacity. Mules may solve the issue, though it's worth noting that based on what I've been able to ascertain, once I set that up in the wasteland, it is also subject to being reset and mules will cost 100r each to eggify and save, which again, I don't know exactly when the reset will happen so I simply have to play it safe or lose all my mules.

To summarize the solution with mules in the wasteland for the next update:
    1) Buy a lot of mules.
    2) Buy a lot of leads, and hook them up.
    3) Ride mules to the desert, store extra supplies in enderchest (which can disappear at any time, although enderchests are cheap).
    4) Mine and fill up mules as I go, hoping reset does not occur during mining, because mules will disappear and with them all supplies mined.
    5) When mules are full, ride them back to the spawn, and carry the supplies to town load by load.
    6) Eggify each mule at a cost of 100r each, to ensure they aren't lost between mining trips.

On the other hand, the wilderness:
    1) Buy a lot of mules.
    2) Buy a lot of leads, and hook them up.
    3) Build a nethertunnel through to the desert to enable traveling to/from 8x faster, which wont be lost during the next update.
    4) Ride mules to the desert, leading them through the portal.
    5) Mine and fill up mules as I go, without any worry of any reset occurring.
    6) When mules are full, lead them back through the portal and back to spawn 8x faster, and carry the supplies to town load by load.
    7) Leave the mules in a safe location where they can't be pushed into lava. (I don't think they can be transported back to town, so leaving them in the nether is probably the most efficient.)

I don't mean to be threatening and I realize the way my last sentence sounded. I didn't mean it like that. It's just that from an efficiency standpoint, and from a risk/cost analysis standpoint, why would I use a world that doesn't have a nether 8x boost and literally resets without warning?
  17. You don't have to travel very far in the waste ( its only 8k block's side to side top to bottom) compared to the frontier.
    The waste's are not reset randomly, every reset has been after the game updates. The only reason they did not reset after this up date was because of the work that was needed to up date. hence the delay, and when 1.8 rolls out you can expect the waste to reset again when that update goes live.

If you don't like the waste then don't use it simple as that. Its really good for the new block's that come out with new updates, so if your just after cobble stone the frontier is probably best for you.
    You say your not trying to be harsh but you keep on keeping on with your argument.:confused:
    607 likes this.
  18. It's sand and sandstone I'm after, the cobble is just a byproduct since it's more efficient to mine it all than cherry pick.

Anyways, all I'm thinking is it would be cool if there was a date for the actual reset so it could be planned around, so I don't have to wait around for weeks or months not knowing when it will happen. I guess if that belief is harsh then sorry for being harsh.
  19. i suppose staff could talk about scheduled resets as well, it would probly be every 2 months or something of that nature and we would still have to reset when new versions come out simply because people want instant access to the new content. ill start a dialogue with them
  20. Sending out an email or having a server countdown for the update resets would both increase activity because people would know when to log in and see the new terrain and allow for exact planning around the reset.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.