Empire Status Update - 1/27/14

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Sure.

I dont have to remove the current method, but least offer the fair round and do those more regularly.
    607, jkjkjk182, jrm531 and 4 others like this.
  2. I like this now. :)
  3. Call the arena variation where you bring your own equipment Gladiator Arena, to differentiate between the two. Do that round first, then once everyone has lost their stuff they, can have a kit provided to play in Mob Arena.
  4. These both sound good cause then the players that want to use there gear do get to play that way, then everyone else can be equal the second round with the same gear ^_^
    Gadget_AD likes this.
  5. Don't forget in D&D Mob arena that sometimes dying by certain mobs wins you rupees or other special prizes. :D
  6. why only 1 named TP for free members?
    Even more unfair then the tag limit.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  7. Just be happy that it isn't a supporter only feature. :) Sheesh, you would think that people wouldn't complain about barely announced new features right away.
    mba2012, 607 and QuarterStop like this.
  8. None is unfair.
    One is an interesting new feature. :)
    607, QuarterStop and jkjkjk182 like this.
  9. One is higher than none.

You currently have none.

Both are completely fair... unless you want to use monetary contribution to the server as what we base things on... then no, that's not fair at all. We should remove access to both features from free players! In fact, we should remove access to all features!
  10. If I understand the Named Teleports description, I'm not sure I see the distinction from what we have now with RTS. It appears to be making it so that I don't have to stand somewhere and type: /res tpsign before making my Teleport sign.

I thought when Message Signs came out: http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/message-sign/
    that I might be able to link a Redstone signal to server commands and do some interesting things.

A cross between the two would be cool. You could use a selection device to load different Books containing different destinations into a Chest then send you to those destinations with a button press or a single pad. So instead of a shop with ten different RTS pads, you could have a wall with a directory and a button.
  11. Not really comprehending what your asking for - but please post to suggestions forums, but I wont be able to get to anything relating to the signs until after DT.
    Pab10S likes this.
  12. I played mobarena once just to find out what it was. Once I understood 'everything' dropped in the arena goes to a single winner. (And a lot of newbies never seem to fully understand that), I no longer played. It's not really an event for everyone, it's an event for the elite few who wish to compete seriously. Which is fine, except that it continues to draw in newbies who don't comprehend what's at stake. And their loss continues to go to the elite few.

For the many players who don't read the forums and have not played mob arena before, they have 5-10 mins announcement of a mob arena. And despite being announced that items dropped in death go to the winner, they still spend money on items they won't get back. And afterwards are left sour at the loss of their gear. (Hence the heavy emphasis on 'any complaints will get you banned' as a way of quelling the large amount of dissatisfaction with mobarena results).

I liken the mobarena announcement to those internet adds or mailouts that tell you 'You have 10 mins to take this offer, just give us money'. People are too excited and too rushed to understand what is at stake. They jump in, and find out afterwards that their decision to invest was a bad idea. :)

It appeals to peoples 'risk' desire, or need to gamble.

It may be rediculous that people are complaining. It may be stupid/silly for people to complain after being told they will loose stuff. But they still do. IMO, it's the process of how mob arena works, from announcement to conclussion. I'm not sure what can improve that. But restricting mobarena so everyone has a fair chance is going to make it more universally fair = less complaints.
    But I also very much agree the elite few need the freedom to prepare to their best for epic mobarena contests.

Perhaps the ability to run both styles of event.
    I would recommend ALWAYS starting mob arena events with a no-gear mob arena, completely fair for everyone, followed by geared-up mob arena event. Directly after, at the same event kinda thing. (So the no-gear arena is like a pre-event' before the big event).
    - This will allow newbies a chance to experience what exactly it is. To better comprehend the potential loss.
    - It will also allow others more time to prepare for the event they are really here for, the geared-up pro mobarena.

Anyway. This no-gear mob arena, or at least same-gear mob arena will be more 'fun' for everyone. Keeping the own-gear mob arena for the pros is also a good idea, but it really has to be more clear to non-pros what is going to happen, and how slim-to-zero their chances of winning are. :) Basically "Anything you bring to mob arena you will not get back." - straightup.
    607 likes this.
  13. anyone who claims old mobarena is a game of skill is deluding themselves. its quite obviously a game of outspending your opponents and getting lucky with what chooses to attack you. ive personally seen taluke get targetted by only a few mobs while nickjwolfe took on the majority and guess who won? taluke. there is no skill to lagging less then your opponent. and the reason many people who are vets and can pay to win like the others is quite simply because some people just dont like the idea of (to put it quite frankly) legalized thievery. i mean think about it for a second, someone dies in wild and you are standing there and pick up their stuff you are supposed to give it back. in mobarena you take their stuff, and use it to basically take more stuff in the next mob arena. while i agree with the way the old one works the new one is going to be more exciting for a larger majority of players and since you will all be on an equal playing field ACTUALLY require skill and tactics.

please dont mistake paying money to win something for skill.

/rant
  14. I just jumped into the tutorial to do the 'easteregg' hunt, it was omg hard to find, but i think i found all the hiddens. Well I found 1 at every 'area' of the tutorial, i assume that's all there was. Very cool fun. :)

I would love more of these kinda things as 'events'. Deathtombs maze and such, but treasure hunts for everyone. Some staff members did a wastelands treasure hunt before, but due to easy exploit I think it could be done better. :)

Anyway, the new tutorial, awesome.

Excellent. :)

And I saw something on facebook about teleport signs and ability to go to a particular TP point in a res using signs. This will be awesome! Cant' wait.

But the one thing I want most above everything is the protection system with dragon eggs. I'd endure everything as is to get that ASAP. I am in limbo until that comes out. :)

Cheers Aikar, you continue to be the best server admin/creator/coder I've met. All great decisions, and great customization.
  15. Exactly! I didn't want to say it so brutaly, (cause no one likes the facts throw right in their face). But that is exactly it. It's a scam. :)
  16. A scam setup by staff themselves? Doesn't seem exactly right to me. Honestly, I don't see how mobarena is in anyway stealing, it's just gambling in a different form. Also, it does involve skill, and strategy. Although I will admit items are a big part of it.
  17. I wouldn't say its a scam, but those who don't pay attention to the reminders do get quite the eye opening ending.

18. We have put MANY warnings that you lose your items/will die...
    Only reason we continue to do the event at all is, I think. Is that people enjoy it?
    607 and Pab10S like this.
  19. I know, what you're saying is supporting my point, I'm supporting that mobarena is completely fair and fun how it's setup already. ;)
  20. Oops quoted the wrong person xD
    ninjaboy5656 likes this.