[Discussion] The Wastelands [1.5 Update]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I really like the idea. When will it get reset? like monthly? Updately?
  2. Or even leave it as is, and just make new outpost 10k blocks further away when a new significant update comes?
  3. The current wild will stay. It will not be reset. Wastelands will be added and will reset regularly so that everyone who lives in the current wild can do so and they won't lose their wild bases.

If the current wilds are reset there will be some very unhappy Empire citizens because they spent their time and resources making their outposts. This would then cause drama and many would possibly leave due to this. They're adding in the new wild/wasteland so that people can just go harvest and we won't have constant "You need to reset the wild (because I'm too lazy to walk out to get resources)" threads which cause drama with wildies and townies. They're not planning to just reset PRAs.
    creeper_freak and sonicol1 like this.
  4. This is a misunderstanding.
    I mean either
    - adding a new, big PRA to the existing wilderness
    or
    - adding a new outpost (perhaps with a bit bigger PRA) to the existing wilderness with each significant update.

Or how about both?

So already generated chunks outside of PRAs wouldn't be reset.
  5. Oh, I misread your post, I read it as "Just reset the whole thing then extend PRA" or something. In the past many people have had the attitude of "Who cares? Just reset the whole thing, those people were dumb for building there."
  6. Question: Can I quarry directly outside Wastelands spawn without being accused of griefing?
  7. Do I sense LAVA WALLS? :p
    Eppalblast124 and L0tad like this.
  8. For you? NO :mad: for us: Yes! :p JK
  9. Lava walls would be a step too far, it's likely more than one person would complain about being able to access one of the wastelands.
  10. facu12301 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  11. What about the players who intentionally built 10-15k out, and then we drop an outpost on their front door?

What about the players who have a small base with locked chests at 3000,3000, then we decide to extend PRA to cover that area?

Theres too many factors there. its impossible to do your idea correctly.

Theres also the fact that the world gen changing screws up terrain generation. Its a good thing we pregened so much, that most of the wild is consistent and not affected by changing generators.

With the new wild, we can full on reset (seed included) and new structures can always be found nearby.

But if we stuck with 1 wild, we would constantly be battling changing world generators and constantly screwing people who intentionally built far out to make it hard for people to get to (Like myself even did...)

Some people are even 100k out. Not many people would care to go that far just to grief (or even see it!)

How fair would it be to them If we dropped an outpost 3k blocks away from them?

================

Goin to link to this so adding more in here:

Current state is pretty much we likely dont want to rename the current wild to Wastelands, so the new one would be wastelands, and now discussing possibility of giving a new name to the current group of the Wild/Nether (the one that will never be reset)

=================

As for "Confusion" theres going to be confusion no matter how we do this, but people will learn, and we will put appropriate messaging on teleport to let you know which your in and what its purpose is for.

So lets not use that as a factor please.

Lets come up with some naming strategies that will be strong going forward and "make sense"

Going to repeat a little bit here just to try to make it clearer to people what I'm meaning:

No matter what names we choose, were GOING to have 2 "wilds" aka "overworlds" and 2 "nethers"

If we keep the current wild named "Wilderness"... we now have "Wilderness Wilderness" or "Wilderness Wild" for short.... Now that's pretty confusing.

My suggestion is we try to come up with a different name than Wilderness to compensate the Wastelands.

My suggestion I've proposed is Frontier or Frontierlands and then you could say like "Settle down in the Wilderness Frontier" and "harvest the Wilderness Wastelands"

Think along those lines on what naming scheme we can do.
    cadgamer101 and margaritte like this.
  12. Perhaps another thread with a poll featuring the best names for people to vote on?
  13. that requires people to come up with alot of names first.... Which hasnt been done "much" yet here which is what i'm trying to encourage :p
  14. I think the confusion came back when everyone was saying the current wild should be renamed to wasteland and the new wild be the wild. I know it confused me until I re-read everyone's posts.

Yeah, in the MMO there's a place in the shire called Michel Delving as well. It's the one I thought of when you said Delving. My poor little Hobbit ran through there so many times.

Yeah that sounds like an idea. Earlier I thought of maybe a name based on what it was going to be for. It kinda didn't make sense if it was just going to be for harvesting mostly and be named something fancy. Thesaurus.com failed me a bit because some of the words related to harvest made no sense.:
  15. Well, the current wild actually fits the description of wastelands better, but I think most people agree the new one should be the wastelands as it still sort of fits "The land is wasted every update and is meant to be devoured of resources"

So I dont even know if that part is even being debated anymore... The current discussion going on now is -- after we create the wasteland - what do we call the CURRENT wild/nether?

The 2 are groups, and Wastelands is the name of the new group, but we need a good name for the current group cause Wilderness is very odd "Wilderness Wilderness" as I mentioned above
  16. As one of the founder of pazzo if all my work out there was reset, i would beyond mad. I play 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week and in my city "zolara part of pazzo empire" i have invested at least 1500 hours of work into the city and not to mention i must have s torrage system full of items beyound comprehension of some people " all locked dont bother"

i agree that some areas due need to be reset but they must be some way of doing so while leaving other intact, it may take longer todo so ut in th end would be a step for the better
    SoulPunisher and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. Again, the current worlds will NEVER reset.

The PRA is a different subject. We will still try to fix it so they can be automatically reset, but that is unncessary to discuss here.

PRA will still be here, PRA will be on the wastelands too (to give mini resets before the full update)
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  18. so in total you are talking about add entirly new worlds period? on top of the current wild that already exsist. im sorry aikar i had just woke up and rushed that post in
  19. Another possible name could be "The Colonies", for obvious reasons. (Also, it reminds me of how Russian novels always refer to the Eastern, less populated, parts of Russia, but that's just a personal reason.)

I presume there would be adequate warning to players that their work will be reset (in the Wastelands), e.g. a message when they teleport there?
    jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  20. Well, you wouldn't do that. The new, big, huge PRA ment to be used as source of materials would be far, far away. At least far enough not to interfere with any already generated chunks and surroundings.

That's a big argument against extending existing PRAs.

The basic idea is just - why create a new dimension while we do have more than enough space in the existing one.
    If it is really far away, perhaps 1M or 10M ... or 100M?, it is not very different from a new dimension.

I've been thinking about that. If someone would want to travel between that two distant parts of the world, she/he would surely find some strange borderland features. :) But it probably wouldn't bother anyone.
    For the current wilderness, it will happen anyway (won't it?). People will travel to unexplored areas and search for new biomes etc.

I see it is easier to reset and change seed for a separate dimension.
    I thought it would be fun to have both "worlds" in one dimension, far away but perhaps still reachable from each other.
    Wouldn't the generator for the current wild change anyway?
    Would it be possible to change seed for just a part of one dimension, like e.g. area from (1Mi,1Mi) to (2Mi,2Mi)?

I was followed more than 32k out by stalkers (I think that's 1.5 hours traveling),
    I guess they would follow you 100k and more if you would show on the live map :)
    But that PRA, if really needed, could be 1M blocks away (which BTW would give a new meaning to that 1M race :)),
    the idea would be to place it far outside of any generated area.

That's a good point, any outpost would need to be further away from any already generated chunk than the nearest existing outpost.
    Placing it 1M blocks away would probably be far enough and still reachable for few enthusiast sportsmen :)

Independent of the new dimension, I'd like to put the idea of creating a new outpost (that would also be far away enough) in the current wild after the update to 1.5 for discussion.