[Discussion] The Wastelands [1.5 Update]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. But they are not abandoned -.-
  2. Did you mean those for the never resetting world or the "Wastelands" world lol?

Were open to names for the Wastelands to (ie: not use the name Wastelands).

Once we got a good list of names for both well make 2 polls to vote on them.
  3. Well I keep tossing out suggestions but they keep getting lost in the "OMG R WE HAVIN ONE R TWO OR R WE RESTTIN TEH ONE WE HAZ!?" and "Y DON'T WE JUST RESET TEH CURRNT ONE!?" posts as well as those going "Why do we need names?"

If we're going to be using all the new worlds for HARVESTING why not HARVEST themed names? The only person I've seen that acknowledged this was M4nic and those who liked my post, I had no idea if anyone else is reading these or if they're just throwing out posts.

We already said to switch the names so the new stuff would have fitting names but then everyone whined about that. No matter what is suggested, people keep complaining and people keep confusing one another. Everyone is making this harder than it has to be.
  4. The confusion is coming from trying to apply the designation "The Wild", "The Nether", and "The End", to both the new and old maps, Pandas.

As far as I know, the only name Mojang has ever had for what we call "The Wild" is the Overworld. "The Nether" has also been referred to as Hell, The Slip, and the Nexus according to Wiki.

So why bother with names like Wild 1 and Wild 2, or The Old Wild and The New Wild? We could name them Moe, Larry, Curly, Kirk, Spock, and Bones and we would all get used to what was what. At least I would.

I like either keeping the original names and coming up with new names for the new world, or choosing new names for both the old and new worlds.

I think whatever names are chosen should be relatively short and easily remembered. If they all fit into a theme, even better.

I've used themes when naming network hosts, choosing passwords, or coming up with game character names. I've used LOTR, Star Trek, Wheel of Time, Dune, famous scientists, authors, planets, mythological characters...

When my kids were young, I used Winnie the Pooh characters. Come to think of it, the youngest is in High School and our Workgroup is still named 100AcreWood.

This may be adding too much complexity, but would it be a problem to rename the SMP's as well? We have Utopia, why not something more imaginative for the other SMP's as long as we're changing things? The SMP's could all have their own name with themed world names. Everyone seems to be able to keep track of this sort of designation in other games like WOW.

Since the current URL's have Empire in them, something like Rome.Empire.us, Slith.Empire.us, Avalon.Empire.us, Hyboria.Empire.us, Atlantis.Empire.us...
  5. I acknowledged that too - I personally think that Harvestland or Hiveland (Hive as in bee-hive, as they make honey there and people harvest it sometimes) sounds better than "Wastelands". I think the current Wilderness should keep its name even if it doesn't look like a wild...personally, I don't see why we need Wastelands - it's causing alot of confusion and there is really no point to it other than being reset every update it needs one.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  6. Aikar says, and i guess he's right, that we need to name the current wild and nether as well - to avoid long-term confusion.
    Something like
    Mainland ≠ Harvestland
    Main Nether ≠ Harvest Nether
    Main End ≠ Harvest End
  7. Along those lines yes.

No matter what names are chosen, everyone will still call the both sides "the wild".

Wilderness is not an EMC unique name, its a synonym to the Overworld.

Both overworlds are techically wilderness's, and were simply trying to establish a name for each so everyone knows clearly which is which.

Your posts have been seen, and the names will be added into the summary, sorry I've just been trying to keep people on track to the right topic so I haven't responded directly to your name suggestions.

As I said above, thats just minecraft. When we add the new worlds, we will have 2 nethers, 2 wilds (but im going to work magic to only have 1 end since that wont reset)

Again, If we name the new world, we still have all the same problems I keep mentioning.

We can call the new wild "Harvestland" - but people will still call it the wild. NOTHING will stop that.

When you have an established name for 1 side but not the other -- You will never know if the person was being exact with their messaging or were they forgetting to clarify which, as I've mentioned many times above.
    We need a name on both sides.

It's a "Group name"

What I am trying to keep people on track for is exactly as you said - picking names for both groups.

Wastelands has been the general name for the new world, but been a few other suggestions, and Frontier is the name I've suggested for the old worlds, and Empire and Mainland are other suggestions for old world too.

It's something we've thought of before -- but not at this time... I have some ideas for the new future that could make this a possibility though.
    mba2012, PandasEatRamen and Pab10S like this.
  8. My opinion: We don't need another overworld/nether. In fact I would not like it.

It's easy enough to travel to unexplored land to get e.g. nether-quartz. All you need is 1-2 pickaxes of type "unb3 eff3" and you run through netherrack 3,750 blocks with very fast speed. (from an Outpost you are already 1250 away from center.)

I like to see how e.g. glowstone gets again a tiny bit more expensive because its harder to get.

How about livemap? People will get lost in wastelands?
    And others prefer not to have a livemap so their base cannot be found easily. But then it gets reset?
    I can't see a reason why we need wastelands.
  9. I think you're right, we don't really need it, it is not a "must." Adding it is probably only making the game easier by reducing the need to travel for few minutes.
    But I guess the majority wants that? Or not?
  10. I reread and that sounded like a rant. Sorry I didn't mean it to. I think before deciding names, a separate thread should be made and we vote on them OR do like with the mod surveys and use the google thing.

I was just explaining that there are those of us who have been suggesting names but due to the amounts of people who are freaking out about what is going to be reset and what isn't and why we need them etc. are flooding the thread so then others don't see and whatnot and they post the same things. Perhaps it should be explained better for them?
    AlexChance likes this.
  11. I have like 5 different posts trying to explain it to them :(

Problem is, we can not go on this mythical idea that we can go on forever with the same map... Things WILL force us to reset.

We have chosen now as the time to establish procedure on how to handle this.

1 map that always resets and 1 that doesnt solves the problem, and gives everyone in the wild a safe feeling that their work will not be reset.

Do you understand now?

Also, live map will be on both worlds, fairly simple.
    AlexChance likes this.
  12. I know and for some reason they still aren't getting it :( Maybe try caveman?

We add new wild. It need name. Old wild no reset. Many happy people.
    HylianNinja, mba2012, Curundu and 2 others like this.
  13. :D
    mba2012 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  14. Could you possibly translate that into Derp? Im having a hard time understanding that D:
    mba2012 and Curundu like this.
  15. omg guize we r gunna add a new wildz butt u guize needz to give us a nayme!!!!!! we r also not gunna reset teh wild we have so no1s stuff is erased and every1 is happyz!!
  16. oo gocha!!1111!
  17. I feel about every 10000 There should be PVP than 5000 Blocks After that The Pvp gets turn on again
    (Starts from 10000 Blocks from spawn
  18. Any PvP in the wild(s)? No.
  19. Was going to bring out the bear. Looks like Jk took care of it, though.
    mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  20. 1.5 update will most probably not force us to reset wild?
    If in 1.6 .. 1.9 new biomes are added I'm pretty sure they will write the code in a way that cliff-borders between old and new terrain are minimized. If they rewrite the map generation completely such that there will be BIG ugly cliffs, then I agree with a vote for either live with cliffs or reset. But I guess this wont be the case in this year.