[Discussion] The Wastelands [1.5 Update]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ok, try #2.

Current Wild/Nether - The Firmament
    New Wild/Nether - The Phase
  2. The current wild stays wild or wilderness whatever you call it, new areas, wastelands, wasted nether, wasted end, if the last two will even exist, how about the fruitless nether, fruitless end, and the wastelands. That is all.
  3. That makes it sound too fancy... Developed makes it sound urban.
  4. How about:
    Old / Stable / A
    New / Unstable / Z
    :p
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  5. Rough name idea #2:
    Resource Gathering Wild/Nether and
    Outpost Building Wild/Nether
  6. A: Mainland / Main Wild, Main Nether
    B: Volatile Wild, Volatile Nether

A: Perm (similar to permanent) - Perm Wild, Perm Nether
    B: Vola (similar to volatile, also volare = to fly (away, by), volaticus = inconstant) - Vola Wild, Vola Nether
  7. so you want to give a place the name of a town in Pennsylvania that had to be abandoned due to an underground coal fire ?
  8. Current Wild --> Disneyland
    Wasteland --> Disneyworld
    Thoughts?
    Computer Guy.png
  9. It fits. Why not? It could fit since all the new areas are going to be is harvest worlds.
  10. Current map names:
    Empire Wild / Nether
    Crown Wild / Nether
    The Provinces
    The Nations

New map names:
    Public Wild / Nether
    Common Wild / Nether
    Miners Wild / Nether
    Minerz Wild / Nether
    Dark Wild / Nether
    Outer Wild / Nether
    Diggy Wild /Nether

I'm kind of liking Empire and either Diggy or Minerz, since the names are pretty short and intuitively suggest what their purpose is.
    will_iamd and PandasEatRamen like this.
  11. Again... Empire Wild, Empire Nether.

It is after all.....

mba2012, hullmat991 and Pab10S like this.
  12. I'm really bad at analogies, lol but that would be like... Calling a block in Minecraft "Minecraft"
    Curundu and PandasEatRamen like this.
  13. After the "Wasteland" update make sure you clean up the periodic reset area in every server cause it looks like a mess. Then after that you probably don't need to periodically reset it.
    TheSkidz likes this.
  14. I don't suppose there'd be any way to make portals that go from the old wild to the new wasteland? So if you were 30,000 blocks out in the wild, you could cross into the wilderness to steal all the resources?

I'm not sure if it would be useful enough to be worth doing even if it could be done, but I thought it worth a post.

To stay on topic, I agree that the idea of calling the wild "provinces" or "colonies" would fit well, as if the town is the main part of the empire, the (non-reset) wild would be like a colony/province.
  15. Decent idea - I'm not sure how these portals would be made though, and if the old fashioned way, how it would interfere with the Nether. Might all just be a bit confusing to have so many options though, which is very bad IMO :S
    will_iamd likes this.
  16. I was imagining the same as a nether portal, but with redstone blocks or something. It would be nice to have the two worlds connected, but it's not exactly vital, so I'm not really expecting it to happen :L
  17. Interesting fact: The original "Wild" didn't have a live map.
  18. I much like Frontierland.
  19. When naming the wild forums I went back to the definition of Frontier to ensure it fits well for the forum, and man does it...

CURRENT wild names
    • Original Suggestion: Frontier - Wild Frontier / Nether Frontier / Frontier Wild / Frontier Nether

Reasoning:
      The Wild will be that transition zone in between various settlements/outpost/colonies. This "frontier zone" would match up exactly with the wild/nether, as the areas between settlements encounter monsters and undeveloped terrain.

Soon as you exit a PRA, you enter the Frontier, until you land on another settlement.
    • Empire - "The Empire Wild" , "The Empire Nether"
    • The Provinces / Provinces
    • The Nations / Nation
    • The Firmament
    • The Colonies / Colonies / Colony
    • Mainland
    • Perm - Permanent (to match with Vola)
    • Enduring

New World naming suggestions for land that will constantly reset.
    • Original Suggestion: Wastelands - This land is wasted every update and is the main harvest area. The terrain outside outposts will be "wasted" (as it pretty much is today...) due to mass resource harvesting.
    • Harvest / Harvestland
    • Resources
    • Miners- "Miners Wild / Nether"
    • Vola / Volatile- short for Volatile.
    • Phase / The Phase / Phaselands
    • Mercurial
    • Hive
    • Abandoned
    • Forsaken
    • Lost
    • Ravaged
    • Dark
    • Forgotten
    • Dread
    • Quarry
    Some names were a little too generic

but if I missed one you think should be on the list, post it.

also -- for the other suggestions, if you want, please post "Reasoning" why other names are a good fit like I did for the original suggestions.