[Discussion] The Wastelands [1.5 Update]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. They rewrote the world gen in 1.2 to get rid of cliff borders...
  2. We've been lucky to get away with a wild reset a couple of times in past updates - temples, emeralds, ect. - what Aikar's saying is that eventually we'll DEFINITELY need a reset, and the community will agree (like last reset) so we might as well be organised, have a system in place, let people get used to it, ect.

That's another thing, we don't want to be implementing this AND updating our servers to be compatible with an update in the future. Too much confusion, too much hassle, too much work. Need to get it done now. :)
    mba2012 likes this.
  3. You're right, there is nothing at the moment that would force a reset, force to start over.
    Availability of new biomes, structures and ores is also not a big deal, because unexplored, not yet generated areas are just like 4-5 min away for the overworld and about 15' in the nether.
    Traveling for 15 min to get new ores (quartz) would make them rather expensive, but that is not a problem, or at least it is not a problem that we would need to solve outside of the game. It would be a new, interesting challenge. I'd expect that people would build improved railway systems and offer transportation services. The game and the community develops...

Having a new unexplored areas that are easy to reach would make getting resources temporary easier. And then again with each reset.
    It would be like giving up on the challenge of coping with the natural process of depletion of resources that are near and slowly increasing prices of some resources. This is also very interesting because it is a big issue IRL. By playing it in a virtual world, we would learn some patterns that we can also expect to see IRL.
    Shall we try to play that game or shall we give up?
    You might already know - I'm generally against changes from outside that make the game easier and take challenges away. :)

I think it is important to see that adding new dimensions now most probably doesn't solve any problem that we have with current Wilderness, Nether and The End or any relevant problem that we are going to face in the future.

Adding new dimensions / new worlds has (almost) nothing to do with what happens (now and in the future) to the current Wild / Nether.
    Or does it?
  4. These new dimensions will prevent this current wild from ever getting reset, if that's what you're asking, yes. :)
  5. How? I do not really see it. (?)
  6. The new dimensions will be reset instead.
  7. Well ... it's like when you would send your younger brother to the hospital to get cured when you're ill.
    It obviously won't do anything to the current Wild and Nether. :)

EDIT: having every now and then reseted "Harvestland" and "Harvest-Nether" in the effect reduces travel time - the same does the "wild vault".
    See also: -> In regards to vault access in wild
    under -> Possible New Vault Goal
  8. They're adding in the new world for harvesting that will regularly reset so the current won't have to be and many people who live in the wild won't ragequit because they worked hard and lost their stuff.
    AlexChance and sonicol1 like this.
  9. My major issue is that people are still going to strip mine in the wild as well as in the wastes. I do wish though that the PRA's would still get reset now and then
  10. There might be an error in reasoning here (it might be on my side?) ... let's check:
    - We don't want Wild / Mainland resets. We want to build there. That's quite clear.
    - For what reason would the current Wild (Mainland) need a reset, that could be prevented by having another Wild (Harvestland)?
    • Everyone is whining and crying that they can't take the extra time to walk out to the black areas so they post a buttload of threads wanting the reset.
    • Everyone complained about not finding Emerald, Temples etc. posted multiple threads for those.
    • If they reset the current wild, all people's hard work will be gone, they will leave.
    • For some reason everyone thinks that if the Nether is reset for Quartz then so should the wild.
    • I guess the mods want to add another Wild/Harvest land. I'm still not sure on all the specifics as all the posts in this thread have confused me somewhat.
    • What I've come to conclude and probably am wrong about, they're trying to come to a way to appease everyone so you have a place to harvest your stuff and a place you can live in the wild and not have to worry about your stuff being reset.
    • What I've also come to conclude based on some explanations is that currently it's too much trouble to protect what is built already and reset the rest. Then again we have 10 servers each with Wild, End and Nether.
    IamSaj, AlexChance and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  11. Not having an up to date "wild" with all the recently added features in it could potentially put new players off the server. That was a main reason for the last reset (along with the world generation stuff), I believe.

New players would probably be put off the idea of walking 5000 blocks through the nether (which would, realistically, require enchanted tools etc) to get to the new features, rather than join a different server instead that has a nice new world full of whatever things are in 1.5 that they might want.

EDIT: Plus what Panda just posted above!
    M4nic_M1ner and PandasEatRamen like this.
  12. Expectations. Emerald Ores were already rare. It's not like everyone expects to step out into the wild and find one...

However Quartz? Thats extremely common. EVERY new player will have the idea in their head that Quartz is a very common cheap item, then they join EMC... go to the nether... and stare blankly..

I'm sure some people do that for Emerald Ores too, but its not that apparent to them they have no chance of finding one unless they go 10k out.

It is unfair to our current and future users that Quartz would be restricted to a smaller subset of people who know how/are willing to go out to new chunks to collect it, then sell it at a higher price than it should be.

This server is not economy centric. It is not our goal to shape things to give players the best opportunity to make a profit.

Again, this is not up for debate. There will be 2 wilds and 2 nethers, and we need a to focus on coming up with names for the groupings.

Any post from here on that is not focused on appropriate names that fit will be deleted.

That's why we will still have PRA's in the main wild/nether.

Messaging will at least help with a good chunk of people sending them to the right place.

I might even say we will disable creeper explosion damage (but it will still hurt) near the outposts in the existing wilds to help keep the land in better appearence, and replace deserts near spawn with grass.
    IamSaj, mba2012, Curundu and 2 others like this.
  13. Current Wilderness/Nether - Wilderness, Nether
    New and Periodically Reset Wilderness/Nether - Phase World/Phase Hell (Phase Nether).

I say this because I assume the Phase World and Phase Nether would be reset with a new seed each time, so that it would be like stepping into a new dimension with each reset.
  14. interesting note on phase, but the general idea i was looking at was a "group" name, IE one that represents both.

Code:
         Current / Name A  (No Reset, Building, Example: Frontier)
             /          \
     Wild              Nether

New / Name B (Resets, Example: Wastelands)
             /          \
     Wild              Nether

15. So just Phase World then.

I will have to rethink this then.
  16. Mercurial Lands - Enduring Lands?

So Mercurial Wild and Mercurial Nether versus Enduring Wild and Enduring Nether.

Mercurial being a changing land and enduring being a non changing land - synonyms of changeful and stable respectively.
  17. IamSaj, AlexChance and jkjkjk182 like this.
  18. Rough name idea:
    Resource Wild/Nether and
    Developed Wild/Nether