[Discussion] The Wastelands [1.5 Update]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. In my opinion why don't we just reset the wild? I mean reset as resetting the yellow area. If anyone builds within the line than you to live with it.
    battmeghs likes this.
  2. One word...
    OUTPOSTS!
  3. Sounds like a great idea until the outpost lands near your front door.
    fluffinator09 likes this.
  4. Dragon tombs is coming soon don't worry about dragons and eggs there will be plenty for all when it happened's.
  5. I like frontierland, and I think the idea of having a separate world and nether just for resources is a great idea.

On the other hand I was thinking wouldn't it be great to reset all servers, worlds and players, rupees etc back to default :D and everyone starts again lol only jk :p
  6. i'm slightly confused. but that is probably just me also, lmfao, not entirely understanding what you're meaning.
    - do you want to rename the wild, to wastelands just because it isn't going to be reset anymore?

that in itself is depressing, the wild looks like crap as it is :( what ever happened to that resetting every once in a while? it never happens anymore... and every single outpost looks like complete hell. and that is a 100% understatement, better words fit that, but i'd rather not say. lol

what if when the wastelands(or whatever you're going to call it) are set up, can the reset area on the wild be FIXED? giving that wild ONE last chance to stay up right? so you don't have to dive into the depths of death just to get in and out of spawn area? :(
  7. I feel like changing the Wild to anything else would only cause confusion, as for the Wastelands why now just keep it simple and leave and have it be called The Wastelands
    cnquast likes this.
  8. Errmm theres a command to go to the end in utopia...
  9. That's more of a special thing.
    I don't think you can count that as it's just for endertopia.
  10. How about naming the new map the Quarry, the Quarries, the Excavations, or the Mines?

I'd prefer to keep the Wild the Wild or some new name that doesn't have the connotations that the Wastelands do.

A lot of people are pointing out the devastation that surround the current Spawns. With another server for collection, much of the pressure will be taken off the current Wild servers. The PRA's can be reset and actually stay that way longer before needing to be reset again allowing us to build nice bridges over these areas.
  11. Once a week, to much. Once a month, maybe, once a reset, definitely.
  12. Lol. I assume you mean once an update?:p
  13. I agree with battmeghs. Make the wastelands or whatever were calling it now, reset the wild, and see if the same thing happens. If it does, I suppose you could just revert to last save....mi think :p
  14. Yes. Yes I did. (FAILED)
  15. I mentioned this elsewhere - why not call the current wild, the 'empire', and have the new wild stay as the 'wild'?

So you have the town, which is surrounded by the lands of the empire. The new wild can be considered as a separate entity and reset / dealt with as required.

This way its clear that you should build in the town or the empire, but not the wild.
    margaritte and Pab10S like this.
  16. As if that creepy outpost leeching off LLO "To get on the minecraft maps" isn't/wasn't bad enough?

He said he meant reset as in the Yellow part AKA the (not so)Periodic reset area.

Dunno about names, when I hear wastelands all I can think of is Fallout or Borderlands type landscape. Maybe something related to what it will be used for?
    • Harvest
    • Quarry (as Pablos said)
    • Resource (kinda lame, I'm sorry)
    • Collection
    Feel free to add more guys, I can't think at the moment.
    cnquast likes this.
  17. I know right!
  18. Although keeping the wild as is and making the wastelands constantly reset may be easier in some ways or more appealing to new players (& existing ones) I'd much prefer the current wild to become the wastelands with a new wild being introduced that constantly resets... Ultimately the best option would be to keep the periodic reset area as is and then perhaps having unique terrain generation that like in world edit replaces specific blocks with other new ores and such as they would naturally appear...
  19. I'm really confused, we're going to reset all wild and nether, or is the wastelands going to become the current wild, and us add an everchanging one?
  20. For me, Wastelands sounds like land that nobody wants and that gets wasted with every reset, but I'm not a native speaker :)

I assume the seed changes with every reset.
    If your spawn location is in that new dimension, it has to be reset as well.

If the reset would happen every week, it would make no sense to build almost anything there, so mining operations would be limited to simple set-ups.
    With resets every months, it would make sense to build some temporary structures.
    My vote is to reset with each significant update, when new elements (ores, structures, biomes) are introduced.

For the current wild, would making PRAs a bit bigger be of any help?
    Hmm...

The purpose of the new dimension is to have a land that can be reset, so we can find new ores, structures, biomes etc that come with new updates.
    I think we could accomplish that with the current wilderness, as it is more than big enough:
    - Choose large enough unexplored / not generated area, does not have to be far away from currently generated areas
    - Designate that whole area as PRA
    - Create an outpost there and corresponding teleports
    - Reset and re-generate that area with each significant update - with a new seed, of course.
    Done. No need for new dimension and related problems ... or did I miss something?