[DISCUSS] Go GoPro? If so, which one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FDNY21, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Luv the gopro hero 4! I just got amazing video on the slopes. :D
    FDNY21 likes this.
  2. Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider the contender but I'm probably looking for a little better quality so may go for a mid-range GoPro perhaps :) Still thinking about it!
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  3. Still want more of an idea if regular filming will be good on this camera? I need your opinions guys! :D
  4. I hear that all of the GoPros do not have any zoom and therefore may be no good for freehand recording at a distance from the cars I want to record? Can anyone confirm this?
  5. Bump.
  6. Bump.
    Hey Just_So_Pro, have you got those uploaded yet?
  7. Yes. The GoPro does not have a zoom but to me that is not a problem, for others it may be. I would strongly recommendthis man, its your best bang for your buck
  8. Do you still recommend the GoPro for what I need it for though? Despite being able to use it in cars and all, the reality is that most of the time, it will be used as a point and shoot to film cars going around a track whilst I am in a viewing area. One reason I need to replace my iPhone's camera is because it has no zoom (if you do then all quality goes), I don't know how well this will work...

Here's one of my YouTube videos using my iPhone's camera. Take a look at some of the distances and see if you would still recommend it? Despite how good the camera is looking, this will likely be a major drawback for me so I'm not so sure. These are some of my common viewing points (a fair bit away from the track due to safety regulations):
  9. Sorry missed this, yes I do reccomend it for this. it gets great shots and the zoom isn't to big of an issue :)
    FDNY21 likes this.
  10. From the views seen in the video, do you still think it would be okay? Anything you suggest for the recordings at those views?
  11. I would say it would be okay as it captures very clear footage and I believe you can zoom on the editor if I am correct (correct me if I am wrong :p) a recommendation for that kind of filming would be just hold it steady, it is sensitive to noise and when you move it a lot it gets annoying. Another tip is when you get it you will get to backdoors to it, if you are filming where there will be no water/snow use the open backdoor for better audio quality :)
    FDNY21 likes this.
  12. I tend to move it a lot... Well, seeing as how I am always holding it in my hands and moving it as the cars go by... :p
  13. Haha I gotcha :p but like when you move it try to do it smoothly lol
    FDNY21 likes this.
  14. FDNY21 likes this.
  15. Despite pros and cons of both the cameras, this article still actually suggests the GoPro overall :p

I think the zoom thing is the main problem now. I'm not sure if I'll go for my phone for most videos and get a cheaper end GoPro for the mounting jobs, or if I'll just get a proper video camera. Or a proper video camera and a cheap GoPro. Well, I guess I still haven't decided :p

Any other thoughts with the things that I need it for?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!
  16. The article suggests the GoPro, but the Sony thing with long name thing is about 100+ cheaper. If zoom is an issue aren't there better cameras out there for the price of GoPro?
    FDNY21 likes this.
  17. Depends which GoPro, the one they compared was the 3+ Silver, but there are ones available that are both higher and lower spec than that one (and of course higher/lower priced). As for the zoom, I'm not sure if that will be an issue yet... Because I'm unsure, I want more opinions :p
  18. Simple answer:
    Buy the latest GoPro. It is most likely up-to-date with the features (it could also be the best one as well). :p
    FDNY21 and flamingpotato42 like this.