[DISCUSS] Go GoPro? If so, which one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FDNY21, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Whatever you buy, do NOT buy one of those cameras that have an OS installed into it. I was at Best Buy like a year ago and my family bought a really cool Nikon Coolpix camera with Android on it. Didn't even last a whole month until Android basically had every app except mail corrupted. All I could do was check emails on the camera. Not even take a picture, but check emails. xD.
  2. What is your price range?
  3. GoPro, GoPro! *Starts chanting* *Mob breaks out*
    FDNY21 likes this.
  4. Didn't plan on getting a camera with Android etc. :p
    Nothing overly expensive (so no proper expert equipment sort of thing) but anything that shoots what I need it to shoot is considered :)
  5. This goes against what you just said, but I would honestly getting one of the canon rebels. It would be an investment, yes. However, it is worth it to get the high quality video taking capabilities that those cameras have.
    I found a canon t5 which is one of the newer models for the same price as a gopro hero 4 silver, which you mentioned earlier in this thread. The camera shoots in 1080P. Here is the link to that camera.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  6. I think that camera is a bit too picture-taking based, the main thing is to have good recording - which it does, but the camera isn't the most practical for recording as others are. At least, from what I can see of it, that's what I'd make of it. :p
  7. I can see where you're coming from, but as the owner of a t5i, I can say that they are good for recording. It is very easy to hold, and it could easily be mounted. I haven't mounted it to anything but a tripod myself, but it would be very easy to mount to any kind of stand.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  8. Anyone have any other ideas other than the GoPro/have more information on the GoPro? :)
  9. I'd like to bump this again, in case anybody else has some thoughts.
  10. Gopro all day, I can't recomend it enough :p
    FDNY21 likes this.
  11. Still not sure if it is right for what I need though :p
  12. It is. It always is xD
  13. FDNY21 likes this.
  14. Just bought a new battery for my iPhone, I hope to fit that and use my phone for standard recording, which means I should have budget for a GoPro that I can use for the different recordings I do (e.g. mounted to inside of a car, car meets etc.)! :)

Now comes the question, which GoPro to get. I'll be having a look over the next little bit to to see if there's one that I like. I'm looking for 60FPS at 1020p perhaps, though 30FPS would work. I'll be searching but if anybody has anymore ideas, please comment here. :D Thanks to all for their feedback so far!
    flamingpotato42 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  15. I've fitted a new battery to my phone and it's working great so far! Still sort of torn as to whether I should get a GoPro or get a video camera instead though, actually. Both have their pros and cons...
  16. :eek::eek::eek: Wizard!
    FDNY21 likes this.
  17. Because it's an iPhone, I may as well be a wizard... If I were to describe the process of changing the battery in my iPhone then it would certainly not be PG :p
    jkjkjk182 and technologygeek like this.
  18. The above cameras are mostly DSLR based. This means that they are the interchangable-lens getup, which can kinda be intimidating, but are INCREDIBLE for what you are trying to do. If you want good-looking video AND stills, a Canon Rebel T5 or T5i is your best bet. If you have a little more money, you could go for a Canon 7D. I have one, and the thing is ridiculous. It is an 18 megapixel camera, which is average, but it is the sensor size that really allows you to shoot great video. The sensor is massive. I can get 1080p video at 60 frames per second, which is very good for it's price range.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that MEGAPIXELS DO NOT MATTER AS MUCH AS SENSOR SIZE. There is a thing going around that pretty much goes like this: "MORE MEGAPIXELS IS BETTER AND BUY THIS CUZ ITS OVER 9000 MEGAPIXELS" The truth is that it is the combination of amount of megapixels and the actual sensor size. If you have a small sensor that packs 24 megapixels and a large sensor that packs 18, you will see an incredible difference. The camera with the small sensor will have dull colors and a 'smushed' color range. You might even see distortion of the image. The camera with the large sensor will have a deeper color range and very little distortion. In the end, you are looking for something that has a balance between a large sensor and a poop-load of megapixels. Here are my recommendations:
    1. Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    2. Canon EOS Rebel T5i
    3. Canon EOS Rebel T4i
    Mose of those will come with a lens, but if they do not, a great video lens is the Canon 50mm f1.8 II.
    I hope that i've helped you in some way!
    FDNY21 likes this.
  19. Hey tech, thanks for the information, I'll be taking it into account :) However, I kind of feel they are more based around the stills, whereas I would rather have it more based around the video. Would you recommend anything else primarily for video? Good thing here is that I can easily still use my phone for images now, so video is the only thing I really need, but stills are an added bonus :D
    technologygeek likes this.
  20. I do have a recommendation for your current needs...you can get lenses for your iphone camera which improve your photography greatly :) check some out, I am not an expert but I know they work well lol
    FDNY21 likes this.