[DEBATE] PVP servers and shop updates

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Herbrin3, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Herbrin. If you are worried about the crowds PvP is bound to attract, they can stay there. They only go to PvP servers. And maybe those stupid full grief servers. I have seen this work. Sure. A few bad apples may come over, but they won't spoil the bunch. I think I twisted that saying a bit, but still. Also, do you need any help making the PvP map(s)?
  2. That was the exact question on my mind.
  3. ANSWER US HERBRIN! Or of you have gone, GET ON TO ANSWER US! Oh, and thanks for those to likes. They are greatly.... Liked.
  4. What I took Herbrin3 to mean was along the lines of say Ivonator, myself and Sneeker and others are in PvP. Sneeker ends up dieing repeatedly and gets ticked off. Every time we end up in town chat or something together Sneeker starts insulting us.
    I hope this made sense xD
  5. That's exactly why I think names should be hidden. You can't get ticked of at who killed you if you had to find out who had done the deed, through probably impossible research.
  6. I'm so pro PVP, wild updates and shop updates it's almost ridiculous! It's NEW, and EXCITING. It's going to be so much fun :)

By the way, the PVP servers will be completely separate from EMC (EXP and inventory wise) right? I think that will greatly benefit the ability to define the areas of PVP and no PVP. Plus, it's not like it's the easiest to kill someone on the SMP servers currently anyway. EMC staff got this stuff on lock ;)
  7. i would really love to play pvp on emc as long as there is no live map and no spawn camping I've been on other servers which were nothing but pvp and anytime i crossed the safety line i would be owned by a pack of guys with enchanted diamond armor
  8. That's why I've been suggesting a system similar to that of the survival games servers. They go for a certain amount of time, depending on how many people are on at the start time (around 30 minutes), then at the end of that time whoever is left has to go to a deathmatch. As soon as a winner is decided from the deathmatch the server resets for people to joing again. When you begin you have nothing in your inventory and everyone begins at the same time.
    sqiggleyjeff likes this.
  9. how i would love that on emc I've tried it on other server's and when i get on them all i get is them wanting likes before i get to play and waiting half an hour because i don't pay for a *pack* to get in first
  10. Or every server having "kits". I want a freaking stockpile in the middle. Even ground.
  11. ya i joined one that had them selling kits that gave you god mode and kits for enchanted diamond stuff and tnt
  12. I would have to strongly agree with Herbrin3 here. It's the 21st century, young people are lazy. You have to bribe most of them with something they want in order to even get their attention. A lot of players don't even read the guide to get through the spawn tutorial, they simply find the question in the guide and the answer is right there, and then once leaving the tutorial they begin breaking the rules they just read, asking for money/items, how to claim a res, etc.

Do you see how laziness affects gaming? The shop system you proposed, without asking the community what they want first, is a prime example of this. You're increasing the ability for people to be lazy by adding commands to buy/sell items for a profit.

If you take the time to just watch newcomers on the server, you will notice exactly this. You will notice that people are too lazy to read rules. Considering that staff have repeatedly stated to the community that a lot of us are young people, you're catering to the % here. You're catering to those who take the time to read the rules and such, yet don't make it so the 99% will actually read the rules. What sense does that make?
  13. I'd argue, but it's 2 in the morning where I am, and I'm too tired to make a valid counterpoint. I really should go to sleep...
    Nah....
    AlexChance likes this.
  14. Aikar you said the n** s*** s***** word!
  15. I understand where people are coming from being ticked off that PVP is coming but how do you go about keeping everyone happy? I'm not trying to be rude or insult anyone but honestly how do you expect to keep people's attention when all they are able to do is mine in the wild or build in a 60x60x whatever space? After a while the same thing over and over gets boring and adding in PvP gives people something to do. If EMC told people "Sorry we're not PVP, go find another server." that would be a pretty bad outcome for EMC. They would look like they don't care what their members want and they would be turning away possible business by telling people to go to other servers.

Even if I might not use them, I'd rather new things be implemented than to see all the "I'm leaving, this is boring" threads. Yes there are going to be downfalls but that's really how things work. You never know how it's going to be until you try.
  16. -_-
  17. Shop system - when did players say they wanted this? They wanted signs to work with 3enchants items. That's it. They didn't want reselling to become easier but you're going to do it anyways and create havoc among players.

But we have to. We all do. Shop owners and consumer both, whether we want to or not. You're introducing fees with this system, even if players don't want to use the system they are still paying fees for it.
    You're introducing commands to resell items, but alot of shops ban players for doing so. Why make it simpler to do something people don't like nd make them rage?
    You're not going to have an option for shops to opt out of this system, so yes, sir, you are forcing this system upon us.

Understandable, but not probable. Even on the SMP servers where PVP is a bannable offense, people still do it. If you fall victim of being PVP'd it is still considered partaking in PVP activities.

Optional updates? It's optional for players to receive fees and no ability to opt out of a system they do not want? It's not what "might" happen, it's what will happen. Nice insult though, it's nice to have a staff member insult players, is it not? Or are your cynical viewpoints getting in the way of what the community wants?
  18. Woah. Rob almost just owned us all. Besides he didn't give any points, besides catering lazy people or something. He just almost completely owned ours. Now, I am too tired to make a wall of text. So rob, you are saying that we shouldn't implement PvP since people are lazy, and that the majority of people don't want it. The rest if irrelevant information relating to other ideas Aikar wants, yet quite a few people, myself included in a couple, are against. Oh, and Panda? I am WWWAAAYYYYY more chill then that.
  19. I want a poll to be announced on the front page concerning members' views on the new shop update. Something along the lines of:

What are your thoughts of the new proposed shop system?
    • I like it and it does not need changing
    • I like it but it will need some work (Please specify why below)
    • I do not like it (Please specify why below)
    • I do not have enough understanding of it to give a clear answer
    • I do not care.
    I honestly feel like there will be a lot of people who don't understand it, first off. I also think that "They" is a very broad generalization you have made. Those who do not like it are definitely voicing their opinon, but I believe that there are MANY people who do like it, or are open to the idea, but have not been putting in these discussions. I personally have not had a lot of input into these discussions purely because I want to try it before I pass judgement. So, what I'm saying is that I think there WILL be people saying they don't like it, but I do not think it will be this massive amount that so many believe.
    Also, just on a side note to all those that seem to think Aikar/Jeremy/Justin aren't listening: When the first proposal was laid out and people were moaning about it, they made HUGE changes to better accommodate shop owners and other members who voiced their concerns. EMC needs to grow and expand and continue to stay exciting. Introduce new features to gain and sustain a competitive advantage over servers. (P.S. It would be a great help if everyone kept voting for the server - Can we have a link to this on the front page maybe hmm?)
    killerbyte12 likes this.
  20. Sorry, but I don't understand.. Are you for or against PVP? It sounds like you are saying that, whether we have a PVP arena or not that PVP will be inevitable (even with all the plug-ins to avoid it). You pretty much said (in my opinion) that even though we are a non-pvp community, we still have PVP. I'm sorry, I'm just confused as if you are arguing a point here or not.