Community Discussion: Reset of Wilderness / Nether / End?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Please read the entire topic before voting

Poll closed Mar 9, 2012.
Yes - Reset the non Town worlds WITH a weeks notice and special features during that time 399 vote(s) 89.5%
No - I want them all to stay the way they are now, do not reset 47 vote(s) 10.5%
  1. Lol, I can just see it now, the wild gets reset, and the new reset wild is in a jungle Biome :p. Justin, I'm pretty sure that'll happen, on behalf of all the Empire's citizen's luck. Then people will destroy the outer edges of it, making it impossbile to find a kitty (ocelot):( I am, though, still happy that most ppls voted for reset:D
  2. I vote yes to a reset. I will lose some nice spawners, precisely placed portals and an ideal location for the build I had started but I have encountered the forcefield glitch which isn't limited to just jungles (just more noticeable). The anywhere vault and totally refunded locks are most welcome.

Time to dust of my pith helmet, kebbie and backpack for a new journey into the unknown.
    ZBSDKryten and kilmannan like this.
  3. Reset is the way to go :)
  4. I live in wilderness community very very very far away from spawn but I am super excited about a reset.
    JustinGuy likes this.
  5. Does this mean that the end is back up!?!?(jumps in joy)
  6. Although ill be sad to loose 5 cave spider spawners, Its for the best :)
  7. ok now i just have to get all my stuff from my survival on smp4 in my Locked chest out..... HOW?
  8. why not keep both but have it be another world entirely like wild 1 and wild 2
  9. Reset! Reset! Reset!!!!!!!
  10. I'm all for this. I apologize to all the people who'll lose spawners, End Portal, wilderness communities, etc., but at least there will be more resources, a chance to restart and what not. I just reset my res which had a complete sheep farm loads of resources like 4 stacks of iron and 7 diamond blocks, but I wanted to start from scratch.
  11. That would cause more stress on the server.
  12. with wilderness vault access it should be ok
  13. Samurai Jack was a great cartoon. Kudos to your avatar my friend!
  14. I'm pretty new and have only a tiny base in the wilderness, but it sounds like a necessary and smart decision. The area around spawn is always a disaster zone, even on SMP6. I have also encountered numerous terrain glitches; frequently at the border of old 1.1 chunks and new 1.2 chunks. Of course this is extremely unfortunate for those who have built in the wilderness (the legendary and rumored The City, which I have not been to), but I think it's unreasonable to expect the wilderness to be permanent. That's what the Towns are for.

EDIT ADDENDUM: I've played quite a lot on converted maps before (1.8 beta to 1.0 full release, and 1.0 to 1.1) and I can say with certainty that the glitchiness and such will only get worse. Esp. with the increase in map height, now is as good a time as any for a reset.
    JustinGuy likes this.
  15. I really dont care which way you choose, I do mind because i have a settlement in the wild, but i can always rebuild it, and i might just find myself a cat, too! I say whatever to resetting the wild/nether/end.
  16. I realize a lot of people are eager to have the servers reset as soon as possible, however we need to consider everyone when making a decision of this magnitude. My opinion:

- 1 week is too short. 2 weeks would be better, especially for people with lots of items/buildings in the wilderness.

- I think it would be great to have the servers not all reset at the same time. This would allow production to continue, and towns/houses to be moved and rebuilt on stable wilderness of a different server, while a given server is nearing the reset period. At the minimum, servers should be split in half so one half is reset right away, and the other half is reset 2 weeks later.

I have 12 locked chests, and several others buried before there were locked chests, and also establishments on many servers. I even just built a huge expansion to my sand mine, and a giant nether bridge. Both are really wasted if I don't get to complete any mining from them. I'd ideally like to move the sand/nether mining to a different, already reset server, in stages as SMP2 nears the reset period. Having the reset completed all at once in a week means I will be unable to complete the mining OR move things over, and there will be downtime where my shops will be out of stock. This coming week is also busy for me with midterms and assignments at school.

So I hope you will please not rush into this reset, because I really do not see any disadvantage to waiting a bit. I think that will make it easier on the administrators as well.

Edit: I also have two locked chests in the end... I have diamond tools in there because I use them for mining end stone. I need a way to retreive these items before things get reset as well.
    nmanley and vividOptimism like this.
    Yay, no more Mayan force fields! Voted yes immediately after reading this.
    Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. Fresh start for a fresh version of Minecraft. There hasn't been many people in the wild lately (on SMP5 anyways) and I'm sure we are going to see a huge wave of cave spelunkers after the reset, and isn't that what this game is all about? I admit, I am going to miss the current wilderness and all of the things I have created in it, but change is good, and I look forward to familiarising myself with a (anyone an Iron Maiden fan?) Brave New World.
  17. I say yes to the reset. It's not the best for all those living in the wild, and those who have grinders etc, but performance wise it is for the best. Good luck to all those in the wild having to start over, and good luck to you Justin and the team :)
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  18. No but, I am a Dvorak fan (Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World") :p
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  19. I think a reset for the Wilderness has gotten to a point where it is necessary. Almost everyone is going to lose some kind of structure/mine/grinder. However, it IS the wilderness. The glitches that are happening are in the process of becoming "game breaking", the areas around the main spawn and all outposts has gotten horrible, and the new 1.2 updates have not even been able to properly come into effect. Wanting it reset is not about laziness, it is about wanting something new and exciting to explore. Something that is a little different to what we have been exploring for a while now.