Change To /vault

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by azoundria, Apr 16, 2017.

?

What should typing /vault do?

Open /vault page 1. (original behaviour) 21 vote(s) 55.3%
Open the last used /vault page. 4 vote(s) 10.5%
Let the player set a vault page or choose to go to the last used page. Default vault page 1. 10 vote(s) 26.3%
Let the player set a vault page or choose to go to the last used page. Default last used page. 3 vote(s) 7.9%
  1. I really appreciate the /vault feature as an easy way to move items between servers. It's something I use quite regularly.

It's nice to see small tweaks to improve EMC from time to time when the improvement is clearly beneficial to everyone. It seems that /vault was recently modified so it opened the last used page of the vault, as opposed to page 1. I believe this change was made without any community input, although it's possible I missed something.

I currently put all my easy access items I commonly use on vault page 1, and so this change means that I now need to type /vault 1 to access those items. Which wouldn't be a huge extra deal if not for the fact that typing /vault is an ingrained habit and something I do extremely regularly. ie Every time I need a tool, common items like chests, signs, item frames, etc, to store/retrieve dirt for chest padding, etc...

I can see how some players might like going to the last vault page, but I'm certain others must use the vault the same way I do.

The best option in my opinion would be to let players set a default vault page or choose to use the last vault page.

I am curious to get the opinions of others.
    607, Zrugite, ErikSatie and 1 other person like this.
  2. IMO, The only thing i think should change is when you are on a page, you should be able to type something like /vault last, and that would go to the last opened page... Everything else is fine to me... and I open my vault on average 150 times a day when i am building... So i would hate to see it change when you use /vault...
    MissKells likes this.
  3. Since I use a different method for opening my vaults, I don't really have an opinion on this, so I'm just going to comment on the following:

Yup, you indeed have missed something, but that's no problem at all - we can't all read everything. ;) Some time ago, longer than a week, but not all too long either, there was a suggestion by someone requesting this exact feature. If you look around the suggestion forum section for a bit you'll most likely be able to find it quickly. :)
    607, Mob_Meal and AyanamiKun like this.
  4. It was talked about via other threads about /vault...Nothing actually posted by staff. I didn't know that had gotten implemented.
  5. true, but is not always easier. i really miss /vault list, having 2 use ur mouse 2 see all names is hard when u got 60 vault pages :confused: i dont really like that they removed lists :(

i missed it 2, that explains why i lost some stuff.

just like u my 1st vault page is 4 regular stuff, when i need 2 move things around i do /vault, shift click done. last weekend i did that 2 and then lost my stuff. shell says u cant lose stuff from vault, but now i know what happend :rolleyes:

+67 (all my vault pages, lol!)

i dont like this change, its way 2 confusing :(

they should ask ppl who actually use vault all the time b4 changing this stuff or make it so that we can chose what 2 use.

i dont like most changes so far, maybe good 4 ppl with small vault pages amount but when u got more its annoying.

when i forget a page name i need 2 move the mouse over 54 or so chest icons, its no fun. a simple list was much quicker. and meh, i misplaced stuff b/c of this chance, i dont like it.

y change something when it works? if u need 2 open previous vault page, press up cursor.

here it is:

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/suggestion-remember-last-opened-vault-page.70608/

ive been a bit stupid and upvoted it, lol, figured it was something else.
  6. You should get some spelling and grammar lessons from ShelL. Please. Please.

As for this thread. I thought this was suggested (probably wrong). I am willing to revert the change. I am curious how the poll turns out first though. :)

I am very hesitant on adding more player settings. That is my least preferred route.
  7. TuqDufRhySmp8 likes this.
  8. I thought I was the only one who noticed this xD I thought it was a bug or something. I find it quite annoying :( I'm so used to just doing /vault to get to my first vault page I don't really like having to put a 1 next to it. I wish they'd go back to how it was or at least give up the option to set it up if we want to like you suggested. All my important, most used items are in my first vault page so yeah having to do /vault 1 is just an extra annoying thing I don't wanna do...seems kinda petty to be complaining about it but when you use /vault so much the less characters you have to type in the better in my opinion :)
  9. Right now. I am leaning towards returning /vault to default to the first vault. And adding something like /vault previous.

Everyone can vote for the first option in the poll to encourage this option. :)
    607, ErikSatie, AyanamiKun and 2 others like this.
  10. I
    I think /vault last or /vault l for short is the best choice for letting people access their last-used vault page quickly.
  11. What i think: https://imgur.com/a/vVQHC

On a real note though, +1 for /vault last opening last page and /vault opeing vault 1
  12. Doesn't work. Not at all. When you browse through your vault pages until you find the one that has the items you want, you do not want to remember its number, and the number isn't in the command history anyway; before the change, the only way to get back to that page was remembering its number before closing it, doing whatever you wanted to do, hopefully not forget the page number, and type it when opening your vault again.
    +27
    I don't really understand this, because as long as you're on page one when you close the vault, the next /vault without a number is going to open page one again. But, when you flip pages until you find your redstone stuff on page 17, you won't have to remember the 17 to get to that page again when you need more from it.

But as people seem to hate this behaviour (which I still don't understand, but I don't have to understand everything): I don't care at all if "access the previous vault page" is /vault, /vault previous, or /vault IReallyWantToSeeThePageIWasOnBeforeIClosedItBecauseThisIsThePageTheItemsWhichINeedNowAreOn. The important thing is having a way to remember the page that was open; as I've installed the macro mod (yes it's on the allowed mods page), it's just pressing X for me anyway.
  13. I use my vaults mostly for bulk deliveries and already have like this system down for when I'm delivering. If the order is anything under 99 DCs the whole /vault thing complicated things. Lets say I'm on page 45 but need to get to vault 1 real quick all I had to do in chat is go up one and backspace two times to delete the number 45 and then hit enter and I would get into my first vault page. But now if I need to quickly get into my first vault page after just being on page 45 I'd have to go up one in chat then backspace twice to get rid of 45 and then type 1 and hit enter and it just messes up my flow because I have to type an extra character lol Like I said it sounds kinda petty complaining about it because its just one extra character you have to type but once you have a habit of doing something for so long it's hard to change that.

Now if chickeneer decides to keep the /vault the way it is I'll eventually get used to it and wouldn't complain :p I've already started to trying to get used to it
  14. Preety sure that the poll refers to that, but +1 (well options 3 and 4)
  15. +1

This is a good example why many software houses often struggle with backwards compatibility after applying changes. If you change something somewhere in the middle then there will be people who have been using that and find themselves lost or annoyed. The Windows GUI is a very good example of that (although, in all fairness, Microsoft has often tried hard to provide backwards compatibility. For example: once Windows 95 came out (with the start menu as we came to love & respect) it also provided options to continue using the previous system with progman.exe).
  16. It was.
  17. Answer:
  18. My last opened vault is usually vault 3, however, when I want to open it, I always type '/vault 3'. When I want to open my first vault, I type '/vault'. Which then brings me to vault 3 as well.