Books You Want To See Made Into Movies (Or Comics, Other Movies In Franchises, and the Like)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Stnywitness, Oct 30, 2020.

?

Which could you NOT live without?

Books 5 vote(s) 71.4%
Movies 0 vote(s) 0.0%
TV Shows 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Comics 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Note:
    This thread: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/films-you-would-like-to-see-in-cinema.83546/ inspired me to create this one, although I've wanted to make a thread like this for a while now.

We've all had books we've read that we've really wanted to be made into movies. Well... at least I have. Many...many times. I hope you have too.

I would really like to know some books you've read that you think should be made into movies. List them below and share your thoughts on why they should be made into a movie. Note: This doesn't have to be books, it can also be comics, or an addition to a movie franchise (like Avengers 5), etc.

Here is my top 5 books/series' that I'd like to see in the theater some day:

1. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - Suzanne Collins
    I know this is pretty much confirmed to be a movie (my guess it they will make two like Mockingjay due to its length... :confused:) I really liked this book, and I love the other HG movies and books, so this is a must need for the Hunger Games world.

2. The Underland Chronicles (All 5 books) - Also by Suzanne Collins
    This series is just as good as Hunger Games in my opinion, but much less known. I feel like a movie (starting with the first book, Gregor the Overlander) would really make the books more popular. They are geared toward younger audiences, but still have some darker themes. The problem with making this series into movies is that a lot of CGI would probably be required for the enlarged rats, bats, cockroaches, and the like.

3. The Wingfeather Saga - Andrew Peterson
    This is also a less known series, geared toward a younger audience, and takes on a more fantastical approach. I usually am not a fan of fantastical works, but these books really made me appreciate toothy cows, sea dragons, cave blats, Grey Fangs, etc., more than I normally would. There is a short animated CGI short film of this series which you can check out on Youtube, but I really think there needs to be a live-action!!

4. More Middle Earth!! - Tolkien
    There needs to be more tales of middle earth on the big screen. Silmarillion anyone?

5. National Treasure 3
    I've always loved the National Treasure movies, and there neeeeeds to be a third. Atlantis perhaps? :O

Excited to seeing your picks!
    607 and DaybreakerMC like this.
  2. None of them. The books are always better than the movies. ;)
    607 and Stnywitness like this.
  3. Ooh, great idea! I'll get to it when I have more room to think. :)
    Stnywitness likes this.
  4. This.

I also think it would be awesome to see the MCU tackle the Original Sin arc from the comic. I think it could really help the movies gain more character depth, and it would really shake things up.

I'd also like to see a good adaptation of 1984 sometime, even though it would be pretty tough. Also a good film adaptation of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None since it's been a good many decades since the last (relatively weak) attempt. Although there was a really good three episode miniseries version of it a few years ago so I guess that counts.

Honestly, books and movies are two different art styles. A lot of the time they won't work unless major creative changes are taken, and that's bound to anger the fans of the books. The Lord of the Rings is the only near-perfect adaptation I've ever seen. Sometimes it is better to just leave books as books though (Looking at you The Great Gatsby).
    Stnywitness likes this.
  5. I would seriously love to see the Fables series of comics adapted into a TV show.

In Fables, a realm exists where all the fables and fairytales live. A mysterious conqueror, known only as The Adversary, eventually subjugates the European fables and begins conquering the other ones, like the Arabians. Many fables flee and escape into the modern realm as refugees, setting up a small town in 1700s New York.

In the modern day, the big bad wolf serves as the town’s sheriff; Snow White is the Deputy Mayor (although she does all of the work); Cinderella is a spy; Beauty and the Beast are working through marriage issues; Prince Charming is a serial cheat and all-around narcissist; etc. The series follows their relationships and role in the town, their constant struggle to keep the town’s existence a secret, as an eventual clash with the Empire brews in the background.

There’s a few things I’d change about it (I’d LOVE to make the ending more devastating than it was) and I think an adaptation into a TV show, lasting five seasons that has eight episodes each, would be perfect.

If I was given the chance to make Netflix or something make a show, I’d make this one.
    607 and Stnywitness like this.
  6. Yes.............. Remember he told the president he could help out with whatever was on page 47 of the presidents secret book.
    Stnywitness likes this.
  7. Books over movies cause sometimes movies miss some crucial details the books have.

But I love a good movie based on books.
    Raaynn and Stnywitness like this.
  8. Not quite, I think! I see the wink, but as this is often the case, I think it would be interesting to think of cases where this generally isn't perceived to be so. :p
    First off: How to Train Your Dragon. I haven't read the books myself, but I think it is easily imaginable that they are good than the films, considering how good the films are, and that the story for the films is quite different, especially in the second and third film.
    Secondly, Catch Me If You Can, probably! It's been a while since I saw the film and it's been even longer since I read the book, but I don't remember the book being very well written. Sure, the story is intriguing, but I do not recall being particularly impressed by the writing. Maybe I was too young, though. :p In any case the film is quite good, which is to be expected after reading the names Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and John Williams attached to it.
    There's probably more. :D
    Stnywitness and DaybreakerMC like this.
  9. I’ll second How To Train Your Dragon. I loved that movie as a kid and tried to read the book and thought it was awful.

But in terms of things like The Shining, Hunger Games, etc. the books are usually better :p
    Stnywitness likes this.
  10. Now, for me, I bet that most books I've read have been filmed. I mostly read classics, and I assume that those have been filmed several times. The only one I've seen so far is 2005's Pride & Prejudice, which I like a lot.
    However, I also read a more recent book: The Rosie Project. This has not yet been filmed, but I read on Wikipedia that they're probably working on it. It would probably require the main character doing a voice-over, and would still be challenging, because his way of thinking is largely communicated between the lines, in the novels. I would watch it though, if it came out. :)
    Of other books I've read I have not looked into films. One issue is that, for me, books are a lot less hefty than films. I'm not sure why, but it is the case. For instance, one of my favourite novels is David Copperfield, but I'm not sure if I'd well bear a film about that. Same thing with Oliver Twist.
    You mentioned comics too! I am fairly interested in comics (not the American style, though :p), but right now nothing springs to mind that needs a film. I've watched a bit of the animated Lucky Luke series, which was fair but not super memorable, and I've watched several Asterix & Obelix films, both animated ones and live action ones. I did not enjoy the live action ones, and most of the animated ones weren't very good either. Asterix & Cleopatra from 1968 (that's so old! :eek:) is great, though!
    Stnywitness likes this.
  11. Bump! I've enjoyed hearing your comments so far
  12. I'm probably going to be "that old fart" in this thread but...

Honestly, most books that had a humble beginning, which then had a movie made after it, did not always appeal to me. This is just the fact that when you read a book, you are able to "let your imagination take over" and you let your mind create the world inside your mind with the author's words. However, when you watch a movie, you are bound by what you see on the screen and what you hear from the speakers, which may or may not be as descriptive, or as faithful to the artist's words in their book. I've always been in the camp of people that say "The book was better". --- Of course, this could be attributed to the production quality, whether it be the quality of the acting, the sound mixing, the makeup or even things in the movie that did or did not appear in the book.

I value my imagination, I can never be disappointed with a good book, but the movie tie-in? That's... a gamble...

(I can live without movies, but I cannot live without books.)
    Stnywitness and 607 like this.
  13. I totally agree with you on this. The world without books would be... very terrible. Nobody would know anything because knowledge couldn't get passed around, and... yeah. It would just be a very sad planet lol
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  14. Some great thoughts here. Also prefer the book myself, however...

One adaptation I would love to have had is the Star Wars Thrawn series by Timothy Zahn. It would have made a much better 7-8-9 series imho...

Of course no longer canon and wont happen so, oh well...
    Stnywitness and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  15. Knowledge can be passed around orally, actually, and this was done for thousands of years. :p
    But yeah, in written form it is much less likely to be lost!
    Stnywitness likes this.
  16. I'm sure there is some dope kids book that can be made into some ridiculously funny action flick. ( I'd like to see that. )
    Stnywitness and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  17. Ever played telephone?
    607, Stnywitness and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  18. Try passing down the laws and rules of geometry, algebra, calc, etc., orally...

I can think of many more examples, but i think you get the idea.

EDIT: for us visual learners (including me...over 90% a visual learner), it can be hard to retain a lot of information that people have told you. Imagine attending a three hour conference about how to build a fort in the woods with no pictures explaining how... just a dude explaining how you do it. "So... you'll want to put the third stick perpendicular to the second one, and then grab some leaves and branches and fling them over the first stick..."
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  19. Sure! Consider though that a classroom of 30 might represent over a 1000 years, and of course that repetition is not allowed in that game (on the other hand, in the telephone game the information will be more fresh in your mind). And of course, once there was written text, information still corrupted, although probably significantly less quickly! People make mistakes while copying.
    This is not relevant to the thread's topic, but I found it interesting and OP is rolling with it themselves. :p
    naMrorriM likes this.