Aug 12, 2013 - Voting & Survival Tweaks

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 13, 2013.

1. When the new bosses, Enraged Mobs, and the special mob drops were introduced, my thoughts immediately turned to how I might farm them. There's really nothing in this game I haven't farmed, so when Aikar said he didn't want them easily farmed and I saw how they were implemented, I was disappointed.

I played Guild Wars pretty regularly for a few years prior to Minecraft and a good part of that time was spent learning different solo farming builds for bosses as well as team farming different regions like UW and the dungeons. It was one of the things I did for a change of pace when I tired of playing the normal game.

EMC's economy encourages farming and mining beyond what is needed personally, and for me the motivation to farm was much stronger here than in Guild Wars. But Minecraft lacks a story. I've seen quite a few threads with players telling stories about fighting with Momentus and Marlix.

I can understand why a lot of us want to control where they spawn and when. No one wants to be beaten down to a half heart by mobs with an inventory full of loot and have to hide in a little hole to recover. No one wants their buildings torn up either. And I still would like to farm the tar out of them... But I've also come to appreciate that the restrictions that were put on them were to encourage adventures and add an RPG aspect to the server.
    cddm95ace and jkjkjk182 like this.
  2. My enraged Zombie farm won't work anymore. :(

I trapped a momentus and used water to push them out of draw-in range. Now they will not spawn without you being in range. *sigh*

This is the least useful update (to my enraged zombie farm) ever.
  3. Thinking here... can't you just give Momentus the same effect the Wither does? Like get him to 1/4 health and he will be resistant to arrows?
  4. The goal is to make you actually have to balance fighting off the enraged zombies and him at the same time. If your sniping him and zombies arent even attacking you, thats too simple.

Those games were wrote to a CD making it near impossible to change after released..... =P

In online games, cheap boss tactics usually are patched.

What do you mean by meters? MC uses blocks =P Draw ins are limited to 32 blocks for the automated ones, only the ranged attacks too far out will draw you in regardless of range.
    the goal is you shouldnt be able to damage him w/o being drawn in.
    RainbowChin likes this.
  5. who are momentus and Marlix... can i someone post a picture of them
  6. That is marlix my second encounter in one night hence the "marlix!!" in group chat. 2013-07-23_22.19.05.png

Attached Files:

7. So... Is it easy or harder to find marlix and momuntus?

Or not?

And you said you nerfed the drop

Is it in the better way or not?
  8. Pab10S likes this.
  9. Thx god, I found one and me and bro_im_infinite fought in 2 sets of god armor and died in 1 hit

:/

I didn't even see him spawn he was just swimming there lol
  10. I have fought 6 momuntus and 9 marlix's I think I have BAD luck with them didnt get pick or bow from not one and I used looting3 on every
  11. you guys keep saying in one hit, what you are ignoring is all the enraged sitting in momentuses butt. also marlix is going to kill people who shoot from too far with fall damage.... thats the real one hit k-o
  12. Maplestory was the only online game that I had mentioned, and Riche has always been weak against heal and holy, and he was even made stronger when they rebalanced the dead mines area to make more high level content. All of the mobs surrounding his area are also undead and can be killed by heal and holy magic.

Also in my experiences, cheap boss tactics are generally only patched if they benefit the players. I have seen online games with bosses that are unintentionally broken regardless if you have high-end equips or not. There are at least 3 bosses that are severely overpowered, in Star Trek Online, even with Elite Fleet Gear or MK12 Rep Gear that generally flattens about 75-80% of teams that attempt to take them on. I have taken each of those 3 bosses on more than 10 times each and have seen my team members die at least 40 times in each battle.. Being a combat medic doesn't help in at least 2 of them because one of the bosses fills the room with corrosive acid and the other has mortars that fire every couple of seconds on top of being able to summon borg drones and shooting you with lasers at the same time.

Also Notch posted in 2010:
    CoolCal14 likes this.
  13. Well, the goal here isn't to make him overpowered, but have the attributes that this boss SHOULD have. The insta-kill thing is a bug, so we've definitely fixed that (or it SHOULD be now). However, with the drawing in thing, as long as you're equiped for survival traveling in the wild, the boss won't be over-powered. It WILL provide at least a little challenge, but even if some online games do want to go the direction you mentioned with maplestory by making their "bosses" less challenging so everyone can easily beat them, I don't personally feel that should be how bosses are in a survival game.

We'll always work to keep things balanced enough so that, it's possible to kill everything we make, as long as the players are equipped with at least basic enough equipment that one would expect to need in a game with monsters and bosses.

14. This is what I was expecting for the update :(
  15. I just never see these bosses. How much time are players spending in the wild? I'm not saying I spend more time than them, but wow!

I just know that when I finally run into one I will be caught completely by surprise and most likely alone. Thanks for the tips and updates so I might have a chance. Wish it was a little more predictable of a system. Maybe have them show up on the live map?

I do see lots of hounds in the nether. My current computer and internet connection are running good, and without the lag, they are not really a problem even when they come at me 3 or 4 at a time. I do make sure to wear good armor (protection III) and have a knockback sword at hand. Another important thing I do is put out fires along my paths through the nether. It helps my FPS and also cuts on the chance of getting knocked into a fire while fighting.
  16. One major tip I can give you for Nether travel (this also works for when you lag on rail carts) is turn off your sound in MC options to all the way off. The sound system in MC is still glitchy in some parts and all the lava making lava noises wreaks havoc on your FPS (again same for long minecart rides too). I've gone from 10-15 FPS in the nether up to like 40-60 simply by turning off my sound. Of course you have to be more careful of things like ghasts...but at least you won't have to lag around anymore.
    Kingofcreeperz1 likes this.
  17. did aikar make it where marlix spawns you on the ground? otherwise he is going to end up flying up out of the range he can shoot and draw my behind in and kill me with a 40 block fall damage drop
  18. Good God!
  19. I spend a good deal of time in the Wastelands and I have yet to see a boss either. I've been told it's because I'm on SMP9 and that's a busy server, but I spent 4 minecraft days walking around the Wastelands and saw no bosses.
  20. more people in same world less chance, and if 1 person gets it to spawn in the same world as you, then you have to wait over an hour before itll even become a chance itll spawn at you.
    Kingofcreeperz1 likes this.