A New Computer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crazy1080, Nov 4, 2012.

1. PC > Mac

Fight ended.
    Jeanzl2000 and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  2. Sorry I couldn't reply to anybody on this thread... my computer refused to connect to EMC shortly after I posted this.

Yes, I do know that this isn't the most powerful computer in the world, but it's the best thing I can afford at the moment, and it will suit my needs admirably.

I didn't build this computer, it's a standard manufactured by HP. I did not chose what processor goes into it, or really anything else about it. I just set the parameters of my search and chose the best value.
    Cchiarell6914, jkjkjk182 and mba2012 like this.
  3. lol
    Cchiarell6914 and mba2012 like this.
  4. Low bus speed still always makes me cringe with the amount of money you are paying for these chips. And since he does play minecraft pretty much exclusively it osunds, there is no harm in getting a higher rated card for the same amount of money, no? that wa smy only point :p
  5. Oh snap, it's onto you! It knows you're planning to replace it!
  6. My laptop will never really be gone once I get my new one for christmas...
    She's just going to be unused, or my brother gets her.

Sounds pretty good. The only bad thing about it is that processor :p
    mba2012 and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  7. Okay since you seem smart I have one thing to ask.

I have an i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz

It's a quad core with "8 logical cores".

It also says that It's 3.6GHz with turbo-boost 2.0

Now when I'm playing games like Minecraft or BF3 will all my processors ever go to 3.6GHz until I stop playing? Or will they only kick up to 3.6 from 2.6 when Theres a big explosion or the map loads or something cpu intensive.

Also it's a 3rd gen processor.
  8. It depends on what the load is on the processor (My CPU sits at 800MHZ until I put any kind of load (Loading a webpage for example) - However I believe with an intel they'll only ramp up if the CPU's running out of steam.
    nerone94 likes this.
  9. I have a 2006 Mac Mini.
    It packs a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo and has 1GB of ram.

Now this may sound awful, but it works. I can compile code in eclipse, run a local server, and have Minecraft running decently without any problems. I don't know what good ole steve put into this machine when he dreamed it up, but it's good.

The only thing I plan on upgrading in the next 1-2 years is the RAM which may enable me to up the MC video settings a bit.

Also a testimony to Apple's security. No viruses, EVER. No 'blue screen of death' and no 'defragmentation'.
  10. Defragmentation happens on all systems - No matter what you do, Defragmentation is the act of when files are moved apart from each other so it's slower to access them, unless you have the worlds first SSD then your getting fragmentation.
  11. Quote from about.com: http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/defrag.htm

Question: Do You Need to Defragment a Mac’s Hard Drive?
    I’m a Windows user who recently made the change to Apple and the Macintosh. I’m used to routinely defragmenting my hard drive in order to ensure top performance by my computer. I don’t see any way to defragment my Mac’s hard drive. Do I need to be concerned about this?

Answer:
    Apple supplies a handy application for working with hard drives called Disk Utility. If you open up Disk Utility, you’ll notice that it doesn’t include a tool for defragmenting your hard drive. The reason for this perceived oversight is that a Mac running any version of OS X later than 10.2 does not need to be defragmented. OS X has its own built-in safeguards that prevent files from becoming fragmented in the first place.
  12. Ok, nice, what that tells me is that it defrags the files in real time, that doesn't completely drain the IO of the hard disk at all /sarcasm, I'd also like to say it used to take me 10 minutes every month to defragment my HDD (Before I got an SSD were Defragging is useless)

/End of offtopic
  13. If you can back that up, I will be impressed
  14. It's just something you would know if you knew how a hard disk worked - Constantly moving files around 24/7 will use up a lot of the I/O.
  15. 1. Please don't patronise me.
    2. OSX doesn't fragment the file in the first place (Thanks to HFS+).

3. Yes I agree this is off topic.
  16. There is no such thing as a os that doesnt fragment. It is impossible. Go download idefrag, run it, take a screenshot and post it here bud. Let's see what it shows.
    Joshposh70 likes this.
  17. Half way through, this defrag's taking aaaages
  18. That shows he fragmented your hard drive is.
  19. Blech. HP.
    mba2012 likes this.
  20. I wanted a screenshot of BEFORE you defragged it, to show the fragmentation level.

Answer this: Was there more RED blocks than any other color on your mac?