A New Computer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crazy1080, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Meanwhile, all the Linux users are laughing.

*flamewar ended*
    mba2012 and louiskw like this.
  2. Sorry to rain on your parade, but Apple came about before Microsoft.
    But in truth it was IBM who started the modern approach to computing, inspiring both Steve and Bill.
    Or if you want to go REALLY far back there Konrad Zuse who invented the 'Automatic Calculator' in 1936.
  3. Fastness is determined by the user. If the user fills it up with programs and such, it is probably going to be slower. The myth about "Macs are faster" isnt true at all. There are many more programs out there for PC, and based off of experience and the amount of people who actually go to the Apple store to get their stuff fixed, the reasons Macs are supposedly faster is because the majority of Mac users have no idea how to make them slow. If you compare reesults from two groups of people with similar computer knowledge, that myth will fly away forever.
    Also, easier is definitely not better. It is easier to drive an automatic car, right? Well a stick-shift will almost always get better gas-mileage and it will cost less. If you look at normal cars (not performance cars), you will see that pattern.
    mba2012 and Dwight5273 like this.
  4. You completely missed ISMOOCH's post, didnt you?
  5. If you can prove ANY of that....
  6. What? Prove it he just said it and its simple google search to find this information
    It's not hiding in top secret folder somewhere
    mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. ...nope?
  8. What's this even supposed to mean? That PC users intentionally make their computers slow? Or that Mac using people are practical and don't let them get slow?
  9. Filled up computers are slower, that is a well known fact to anyone who knows anything about them. More data=more data to process. Most Mac people i have come into contact with (hundreds) think they have to buy an app before they can download anything onto their computer -_-
  10. Nope, you completely (blindly) missed it! A majority of Mac users dont even know how to use a computer to its full extent, they just use the stock options. Practicality has nothing to do with it. Anyone practical would realize that they can get a better, faster laptop PC and a faster desktop PC for the price of a Mac.
  11. I would also like to point out my system cost £700 and it blows away every single mac out there.
    I can boot in half the time of a mac.
    I can do so much more and I can do it so much faster

So what if it get's 'fragmented' If you have an SSD with TRIM and Garbage collection then you never need to defragment and if you have a HDD just set Defraggler to defrag once a week and you're sorted.

I dare you to go and download the latest Java right now - Oh NO! You can't Apple release their own java which is 3 months behind.

Mac's are also very vulnerable to viruses. Apple has lead them into a false sense of security with 'they can't get viruses' http://digitaljournal.com/article/322506, Difference is PC's are well protected and ready for a virus (Avast releases a new Anti-virus update every 2 hours)
  12. But you do know that the hundreds of people you have met don't make up the whole population of mac owners...

The simple fact is that both machines have their purposes.
    Some of these purposes overlap, like browsing the internet, watching movies, Minecraft. But there are a few things that make each machine individual.
    As a Mac user I would say Macs are generally better for Graphics and Design, security, as well as music production and has a better user interface. Also a mac bought 8 years ago will still be able to run Snow Leopard.

Microsoft on the other hand, is more cost effective and has better support for gaming and have more support for files like Word and Excel etc... as there are more machines running Microsoft than Mac. Also you can get just about any colour PC with XYZ l.e.d inflatable fan with storage tray (I mean you can modify your PC more easily) and there are hundreds of companies licensing Microsoft's software.
  13. at a cost of 110$ every 6 months to upgrade.
  14. Also, Apple distribute their own builds of Java because of, yes you guessed it, security.
    Instead of removing support for Java completely, Apple takes the liberty of fixing up it's buggy code so Macs are more resistant to Java attacks.
    mba2012 likes this.
  15. I meant Mountain Lion. Which BTW is $19.99 to upgrade
    Windows 8 upgrade is $39.99

Both are affordable
    mba2012 likes this.
  16. Mountain lion upgrade - every 6 months

Windows upgrade (Completely new OS) about every 4 years

Windows 7 - Supported until 2020

Last Mac OS - about 6 months
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  17. "Those prices will be available as an introductory promo until January 31, 2013. According to published reports, starting in February the retail version will jump up to $199.99 " - ouch
    mba2012 likes this.
  18. What are you talking about?...