A New Computer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crazy1080, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Cchiarell6914 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  2. The computer of choice is actually pretty good. An Intel i5 should do you good for something like Minecraft and possibly other games as well. Seeing that Minecraft uses mostly CPU and memory, you're good to go! 8 GB of DDR3 RAM should do you well. I've 6 GB DDR2 in my PC and can still run Minecraft with a good bit of content loaded into it. Perhaps if you're looking for more speed, you could learn how to overclock the 2.5 GHz to about 2.8 - 3.0 GHz alongside speeding the fans to accompany the extra heat. Considering this is a laptop it's best to stay away from that unless you feel like taking a few hardware malfunction risks.. xD
    I'd say the only con is the Graphics Card. I know you're not leaning towards higher end gaming and graphic performance, but i'm sure somewhere in the future it might pose a few problems if you ever wish to play higher end games.

I personally stay away from laptops and instead custom build desktops at home, but from what I can tell with the two minutes I spent looking at it, this laptop should do you good for a while. Seeing it's refurbished though may take a little bit of lifetime from it.

Also....

Seeing the stupid Mac vs. PC arguments always finds a way to force me to blow up the door and jump in.

For all that is mighty in this twisted world...
    Mac and PC are both computers. They compute information. They are both widely used for development and performance. Some things are done better with a Mac, and some are done better with a PC. Being a developer of art and gaming I equally use both and find no problem in either of them.
    I have something simple to tell all of you fighting as to which is better:

You will never win this war and you are better off dividing by zero.
  3. Dont have to. Just by coming to a draw is a win for the PC side, seeing as if PCs and Macs really were equal in what you can do and performance (which they arent), the Mac side loses when you factor in money. Wouldnt you have to agree that its just silly to spend hundreds ($$$) extra just for that shiny case?

And about the case, its not all that unique. My HP EliteBook has a nice brushed aluminum case, and a glass touch pad too.

Another thing i cant stand is Mac personality. It is only with pure Mac fans though.
    Me: Dude, your Mac seems to be running slow, clean it up a bit?
    Him: Nah, its ok.
    Me: ... There is a slight scratch on the bottom.
    Him: Are you *%%^^&&&*^&* serious?!
    Me: *sigh* -_-
    Cchiarell6914 and MR2R2M like this.
  4. I'm not getting that laptop specifically, Newegg was just the only place I could find that had easy to read specs. I'm buying it direct from Sears, it's all new.
    Cchiarell6914 and TonicThunder like this.
  5. I've never said they were equal in performance or ability.

The shiny case doesn't buy it for me. It's focus on multimedia development and marketing does.
    The PC bandwagon isn't what buys it for me. It's focus on power and performance does.

I'm primarily a PC user so I can easily say I prefer using it, but I don't hate on macs because of stupid mac hating bandwagons or because of their obviously overpriced settlement. Most people using macs complain they suck simply because they want to play games on them. I play games with my PC and perform multimedia generation on Macs.

Simple enough.

Ah, perhaps I've missed that part. In that case, you've got yourself set up alright. I'd say go for it! :)
    penfoldex likes this.
  6. Yeah, when we were all talking about this as staff (because thats what we do instead of moderating and stuff), the onboard graphics was the biggest talking point. However, you have to have a pretty graphics engine to support Blu-ray playback, I know this, because My laptop is old, onboard intel graphics, however, it still runs just about any game I can throw at it. Again, like I said earlier, not at full specs by far, but playable.

Supporting Blu-Ray playback may not seem like much, but if you look up the specs of the Bravia Engine, its surprising. Long story short, if it comes with a blu-ray player and a namebrand PC, chances are its pretty decent :p. Nothing amazing by any means, but I bet that laptop is better than mine, and mine runs full spec minecraft all day every day, while doing other things.
  7. Call me crazy, but acer and I do not get along. Every aspire PC I have owned destroys itself. I tend to stay away from lower brand Notebooks, only because, notebooks are just one of those things where brand actually matters. Because the difference between a well built part, vs. a lower end part, determines the life of notebooks, and notebooks are much more expensive to replace parts for than a Desktop.
    nerone94, Cchiarell6914 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  8. I think it all depends on the person sometimes. My family had an Acer desktop for several years until it was struck by lightning. When I bought my first laptop it was an Acer. My sister got one as well but they were out and sold mom the display model since it was the last one they had. Mine worked just fine and would probably still work had my aunt and her kids not left it in the car and frozen the stuff in it and then put it in the floor and walked all over it after my dad replaced the screen.

My sister's however had issue after issue. It would lock up and shut down, we even had them send us the stuff to redo it and it still had issues. Sometimes it wouldn't let her open anything, she was constantly having to reboot it.
    Cchiarell6914 likes this.
  9. Yeah, its like cars, a couple of bad ones affect your view forever. I do not like acer personally because I have not had a good one. Not saying they are not out there.
    Cchiarell6914 and TonicThunder like this.
  10. That makes a lot of sense actually. Blu-ray playback is certainly relies on the graphics card, so I guess if a player is included the card should play a good role. Now i'm interested in the Blu-ray playback... xD
  11. Ok. Looks like I started something. I do like PC but I prefer mac. Mac is faster(In most cases) and is easier to use in all cases. I am thinking of getting windows so I can use some dev tools but seriously, everything you need these days is available on mac.
  12. Expect PC games haha sorry couldn't hold that one in
  13. Yeah. But I find all (or most)of the GOOD games work on mac too. Though a lot of trials for games won't work on mac.:(
  14. HAH, what planet you living on mate?!? Not many games run on a mac, the only way you would get them to work is if you install windows onto the mac, which is possible :)
  15. Oh, and windows happens to be made by microsoft, which is a company which was made by Bill Gates who created the household pc.... there you go mac users, in order to get your games working properly, you need a bit of PC magic :D
    Cchiarell6914 likes this.
  16. Actually. Here is something you probably don't know. The code for Windows 1 and other early versions was actually written by Apple. So Steve Jobs came up with the idea first. Bill Gates just got it out first.
  17. Actually, neither of them did. The idea of a home computer came from Xerox, like everything else about computers. It pretty much started there. Then, they gave bits of GUI ideas to Microsoft, who was working with IBM to develop an OS for their new computers, and Apple, who, by the lead of Steve Jobs, were creating a home computer at the exact same time. Xerox lacked marketing tools, that the already successful Gates had the money for, due to his BASIC computing success.

However, Windows 1 was very stupid, and had only windows, but they could not overlap like todays windows do, however, Macintosh, Windows' only real competitor at the time, did have overlapping windows. Then Windows 2.0 comes out.. BAM! overlapping windows. Lawsuits.. blah de blah. At any rate, with the release of Windows 2.03, Microsoft managed to gain a lead commercially, then just dumped stupid amounts of money into to taking strides above the competition. Having contracts with Tech power houses such as IBM in the beginning of the industry did not hurt either.

The downfall of Microsoft came when Gates was found guilty of Monopolizing, at which point, Microsoft gave quite a bit of money to Apple to 'graciously' allow Microsoft products such as Microsoft Office, to run on their OS. The timing of this was unreal, because Apple was mere months away from bankruptcy. Oh, and also the 150-million shares Microsoft bought from Apple. They can not vote with it, but money is money.

So, before all of the arguing continues, Steve Jobs was indeed, the forerunner at wanting to bring the Personal Computer to homes across the world, but before you say Gates stole his idea, Jobs only decided that GUI interfaces were going to be the thing of the future, after he visited Xerox where he was in fact, examining the first GUI produced my Xerox. Everyone steals ideas, tweaks them, then makes them there own. That is business. Gates was just better at it.

And in case you did not read the whole thing, and you missed the point TL;DR

Jobs stole his idea for Macintosh from Xerox, Gates got the biggest Idea for windows (not Windows, the actual windows on your screen) which was overlapping them instead of side by side from Jobs, Microsoft blew up, Apple almost died, Microsoft gave poop tons of money to Apple before they did.

Without Microsoft, there would be no Apple.
  18. I hate to double post, but for those interested in the business side of the computer industry, as much as I am, this is quite interesting. (This actually came up as I dug up more information on the above post, because I love to research this stuff :))

^^ that is the business deal in 1997 that literally saved Apple from extinction. Listen to those fanboys boo.^^
    Cchiarell6914, MR2R2M and mba2012 like this.