1.18 – Caves & Cliffs Part 2

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by 607, Aug 18, 2021.

?

Do you remember the previous (and first) Minecraft update that was split over two major releases?

Yes. 7 vote(s) 38.9%
No. 11 vote(s) 61.1%
  1. Alright yeah it does look better without the night vision.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  2. That does look better! It encourages to explore, rather than overwhelming the player. The cave vines are cool.
  3. People no longer need to worry about deepslate emeralds being rare, in today's snapshot their generation has been extended below Y=0. It seems deepslate coal will be very hard to find, though not impossible.
    607 and Unoski like this.
  4. F3 and T = Reload resource packs. I use it to fix my audio without reloading the game
  5. While that is the best method on 1.17.1 and below, it's often hit or miss, and it's now been made easier via a selector in the Music & Sounds section. This is what Joy is referring to. :)

P.S.: I just realised that 1.17.x is the only series of updates that don't have a .2 release since 1.1. :eek:
  6. 1.18 also has new music from Lena Raine! It also features music by Kumi Tanioka, a composer who has worked with Square Enix. There are ten new tracks in total, among which one music disc.

7. That's a relief. I've mined a bit and stockpiled it but I needed to take a break from deepslate!!

How will the below y=0 generation look in the frontier? Will it add new layers to all the previously loaded chunks?
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and Talechaser like this.
  8. The plan is to add new terrain under y=0, but that hasn't been implemented yet in the snapshots. It's supposed to replace bedrock blocks with deepslate blocks. I'm curious about how that's going to work on EMC in the town. Probably they'll just add new dirt underneath, it kinda makes you wish the dirt removal vouchers worked retroactively.
    607 likes this.
  9. Tbh it's going to be a massive pain to people who have made holes cause there will now be more to dig out
  10. I just see it as an expansion to your res(s). You will also have 64 more block of air on top so IMO it washes out. I don't know many res's that were 100% built using all 256 block on the whole res. Utopia more so but it was also 4x the normal SMP size.

I see it as an expansion that'll put a lot more people in market for DDTT's or hiring new players to make some r digging it out. I think it'll be good all the way around :)
    607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  11. more than residences, I think they were talking about mob farm perimeters
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  12. Ah yes... My mind went to res's .. I also thought I heard that in 1.18?? /19 They were gonna change spawns at heights... What I mean is that Y=0 will spawn just as many mobs if at y=200. They were referring to sky farms. I also thought this was just a discussion and not really implemented but I've been holding off digging a new mob pit based on this possibility.
    607 likes this.
  13. if I understood what you mean, on EMC is already like that, if you read the wiki you see that the y distance is neglected when deciding whether to spawn or not.
  14. What I am referring to is the rate of spawn attempts per height. It's true EMC will not spawn any mobs outside of 128 block regardless of y value but it will attempt more at y=0 than y=200, which was a discussion in change for 1.18 or 19 I believe. I was talking more vanilla changes than strictly EMC. (That was my point I was trying to say)
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  15. We've missed several snapshots again. :p In fact, the first 1.18 prerelease has already come out!
    Biome blending has been implemented! It was improved over several releases, and it looks really good now. It might still be improved before the final release, however.
    I quite enjoyed this buggy blending from an old snapshot that slicedlime showed. :p

Dirt trees! :D

A more subtle change that I think might still impact some people's gameplay a lot (and in my opinion, for the better): sleeping doesn't clear the weather anymore. When you sleep, and there is weather (rain, snow, or thunderstorm), it does stop. However, when you sleep and there's no weather, there is no effect on the weather. Previously, when you slept, the weather timer would be reset, and as such people that slept every night would never get rain or snowfall.
  16. Huh, according to the 1.18 song Illagers don't attack baby Villagers anymore... that's weird. :confused: