Many Updates / EULA Compliance Update - 8/21/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Well, I wish I knew this was going to happen today. I would of made sure my free alts was on smp1. Can't collect daily bonuses until I can get them off utopia.
    Is there a time limit for how long a free player can be on?
  2. Due to staff confidentiality I, and other moderators, are unable to reveal what blocks we track.
    I'll leave it to your imagination as to whether or not we track the most destructive block in the game.;)
  3. I know that the cap for Utopia was discussed and players knew it was coming, but I don't recall seeing a warning before it actually happened. Is there a way to switch it back for a few days, so that people have time to move things or get their alts to other smps? Kind of bad business to just drop this in peoples laps.

Thank you for all your work on the servers guys/gals, we do appreciate it.

~Kia
    battmeghs likes this.
  4. try direct connect to smp1.empireminecraft.com
    607 likes this.
  5. Here's what Aikar said in another thread about the Waste and Wild:
    battmeghs likes this.
  6. i cant wait to be able to fly
  7. Yes! Tnt can be used by all players! :D
  8. Hmmm TNT for everyone, everywhere. As other people have pointed out, this poses a significant risk for players/creations outside of town. I can understand the unrestricted use in Town since its use can be controlled by residence flags but in the wild/waste no such mechanism exists, at least not yet. If players were able to create residence like areas (which I believe is something that is coming) I get it. But right now, with no controls, I don't. I'm curious what the thinking behind this was given the risk.
  9. We are supposed to place and remove "valuable" blocks in order to reset the tracking on them for the anti-greifing system, yet we cannot be not told what blocks are "valuable" blocks because that would ruin the mystery.

What if I want to trap someone who I think is stealing? What blocks can I put out? What ones do I watch? I don't want to spread a bunch of nice stuff around then have to keep track of where it all is at. But then I do have to track it all if I have to reset it every two months.

Do I need to reset everything I have ever built in order to make sure I get all the valuable blocks every two months?

I think certain blocks are valuable. That does not mean staff also does. If a block of Glass on my grinder is keeping Blazes from killing me that block of Glass is valuable. A block of Cobble or Dirt is important if it is part of a bridge.

What about Spawners? Are they finally being tracked? We cannot reset their data?

What about: Pistons can no longer be broken in the Wastelands/Frontier from the extended portion. This is so users can not get around the grief detecting system.

Does this mean that Pistons are considered valuable and being tracked? If so, do I have to reset every one every two months in every farm I have built? Some of these are indeed prone to griefing but in order to reset them I will have to do a lot of work to do it.

An Ethos style Blaze grinder, for example, would have to have the Spawner disabled and many parts removed in order to mine and replace the pistons.

A Gold farm would maybe be simpler, but you would have to build and remove a lot of platforms to get to them as well as take a risk of dying from falling over and over because you could not turn it off.
  10. We don't reveal blocks in order to protect the system. If a griefer knew we only tracked X, Y, and Z out of the alphabet, they could still do quite a bit of damage and avoid being caught in some circumstances. We won't give griefers the upper hand by disclosing our system limitations. It's not about mystery. It's about protection.
    battmeghs likes this.
  11. I understand that, completely. On the other hand, I hope you understand that the challenges it presents for everyone who wants to not be griefed.
    607 and Lukas3226 like this.
  12. I most definitely do and am brainstorming solutions in between my crazy work schedule today and speaking with Aikar. We will try to address these concerns asap.
    Wanderton, battmeghs and Pab10S like this.
  13. It's not exactly going to stop the griefing, but more so provide logging if they do.

Most blocks that aren't "common" like Dirt, Grass, Cobble and stone are part of the logging - so if you used any kind of "not normally occuring" block, you're likely ok.

We will say all special Tile Entity type blocks are logged, so beacons, enchanting tables, hoppers, chests, beds, etc.

Then most hand crafted design type blocks are also logged. In other words "most building blocks" outside of the super common ones that are easily replaceable.

As for the Utopia limit. I will work on the queue soon, and may up the cap temporarily back if I cant get the queue done in reasonable time.

As for AFK'ing - That is going to be an issue on every server, as we will soon be reducing the player caps to 30 on the SMPs in preperation for condensing hardware, so AFK'ing is going to be kicking people regardless.

We can look at a supporter perk of 'extra afk time' though, but long term AFK will result in kicks.

As for TNT in the wild - I am going to add in a "not usable within X of outposts" in there.

If we have problems with griefing, we will take action to prevent it.
  14. Oooh, sounds like an interesting update! :) Thanks for your time, Aikar! :D
    krysyyjane9191 likes this.
  15. Could've sworn yesterday on mumble krysyyjane9191 that we were talking about tnt :D
  16. Lol and I said I wouldn't say anything until Aikar made a public announcement. I didn't tell you that he would be making that announcement within hours either. It was kind of funny having you ask me that and knowing that within hours you would have your answer. =P
    607 and EquableHook624 like this.
  17. Can you tell me what do I put for the server address to go directly to smp1. Thanks, if it works, I may need it in the future.!
  18. i think its smp1.empire.us
    607, BevK56 and Pab10S like this.
  19. Hello,
    I have a question about:

If "all players" are gonna be able to use TNT in the wild, does that mean that they can use it as a "weapon" agains other players?

Just worried about the possibility of some player see this as an opportunity to rob/blow up other player using it as a "failure" on the "NON-PVP" restriction of the servers. That may cause some players to leave, what is a problem.

Also, if a player uses TNT on the edge of their land, will it be able to blow up the road and grief others lands?

Will players be able to get TNT cannons and so grief others lands??

I think my questions are not stupid... I'm just concerned with the idea of "TNT FREE USE FOR ALL, EVERYWHERE"!

Best Regards,
    Underhatches
    Parkerjv9, PenguinDJ, 607 and 3 others like this.
  20. Given that the "Establishment" rules specifically state that your own outpost can't be within X of EMC outposts... that isn't even remotely helpful. Random craters in unsettled wilds are ugly, but Creepers do that anyway. What people are mainly worried about is having their builds blown up.

Now we've all been promised that wilderness protection is coming, as part of the plan for D. Tombs (or just after).
    But right now, "establishment" is only useful to resolve personal disputes, it offers zero actual protection from griefing. At bare minimum, this TNT-for-All thing should've been left until we could claim and set perms on land in the wild. Without it, this decision is unfathomable.

You know me by now, Aikar, I try to phrase myself as respectfully and diplomatically as possible even when I don't agree with something. I've got nothing but raw outrage for this one.
    You're out of your damned mind if you think this isn't going to cause problems.