Many Updates / EULA Compliance Update - 8/21/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. No utopia is for supporters it's not an afk server
    battmeghs, 607 and RainbowChin like this.
  2. I have to say, I am with most about the TnT. I really don't think its a good idea. The wild resets WAY too rarely as it is, you really want to make it even worse? Thats what the TnT will do. Just sayin' ;)
  3. i know it isn't an afk server, but a lot of people build afk farms on that server, so people call it that sometime.
  4. No, it's not an AFK server, it's a supporter server. One of the big activities that supporters like to do on the server, is afk farm (Hence the talk about it being an afk server) The 10 minute idle kick now that the server has a limit of 5 completely removes this as an option, as we are not allowed to have auto-reconnect. As the other servers don't often get crowded to the point of hitting the idle limit, it makes them significantly more attractive as a place to afk farm.

<sarcasm>Hey, I guess that's good for non supporters, it's going to move supporters off utopia and put them back on the other servers, likely opening spots for them to use utopia. </sarcasm>

Definitely think the 5 person limit should be 5 non-supporters (This would allow more non supporters on), and supporters not get triggered for the idle kick on utopia.
  5. The TNT use should be restricted to TOWN ONLY, one day you'll want to go grab a few diamonds from the wild and there won't be a wild.
  6. This is GREAT :D
  7. I will be patching TNT to be almost impossible to grief with tonight. Stay tuned for details
    607, battmeghs, mba2012 and 10 others like this.
  8. Ok, I have just a few quick questions about the updates. Nothing major. :)

I am not sure how you would be able to stop TNT from being used to grief and still have it destroy blocks in the way it was meant to. In other words, how would you make it so that TNT can explode and destroy blocks but have a code that prevents it from griefing someone? The only explanation I can think of is TNT wont be able to destroy player placed blocks. But that would be counter-productive as TNT may be needed to destroy blocks that were placed by players. I do look forward to this explanation because I am thoroughly confused. :confused:

Not sure why Utopia needs to have a max player size of 5. I understand the rest of the changes to Utopia, but why change the max player size to something as small as 5?

I just have one last statement I would like to make. I heard of the problem with people fishing in the PVP arenas because their rods never break. So to fix this, Aikar makes fishing rods break. However, I am not sure this is the best approach because fishing rods are actually useful in combat. You can use a fishing rod to pull someone closer to you. So for instance in the arena with the water and tropical themed areas, you can use the fishing rod to pull someone off the land and into the water. Then, from there, they would be helpless and could be barraged by arrows (Bwahahahah). So my question is this, would it be possible to turn off the fish in the arenas? Instead of having the rods break, would there be a way to turn off the fishing part in the arena? I mean, one of Aikar's updates was there is now a fishing flag. Can that be applied to the PVP arena to turn off the fishing but still allow us to use the rods on players?

I look forward to the next few updates and I also look forward to the day when Mojang either A.) Gets off our backs after we have "complied" to their new EULA or B.) Mojang repeals their statements and new EULA and things can just go back to the way it was...good :p.
    607 and SkareCboi like this.
  9. I'm not even worried about griefing, I'm concerned with the state of the wild. The wild is so destroyed already, I cant imagine it after TNT.
    Nccoryg and battmeghs like this.
  10. In regards of the fishing rods: I think Aikar's decision was a lot better than make a special code for rods, just so they don't break in the PvP arena when you hit people, but they do when you try to fish, that would be a lot more specific than it already is. Fishing rods are cheap, you can easily find one for 10-15r. Enchanted rods, while more valuable, aren't useful in combat at all, as you can only put lure, unbreaking and luck of the sea on your rod, so it's better to just use a regular one than take durability hits on enchanted ones. Rods aren't like swords or bows, which you would spend 4k-5k for a single item, and they aren't as used in PvP as you made it sound. They are frequently used as a "troll" weapon, as it deals almost no damage and their pull isn't so good when used in players.

The Utopia cap: I also agree with this - Utopia was always meant to be a supporter server, with only town available to regular players. However, with the EULA changes, we need to open all of Utopia's features to everyone, or we couldn't link the server with the other SMPs. To keep the server as supporter exclusive as possible, so that people actually buy supporter memberships to use Utopia, the cap needs to be low, or else it would be easier for regular players to just join the server and enjoy Utopia's features. Of course, if you have a residence there and you're not a supporter anymore, you still want to be able to play on it, but that's what the upcoming queue will be for. Also, depending on the time you play, there aren't many players on utopia at all, you'll just have to wait a few minutes for someone to log out.

Changes need to be made, some will love them and others will hate them, that's just how it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    krysyyjane9191 and Aikar like this.
  11. Yay! I can fly in Utopia! *Starts flying all over the place and up in the sky*
  12. :confused: Um you can't move players with a fishing rod....
  13. Sure you can. ;) Have you ever tried with PVP flag on?
    607 and PenguinDJ like this.
  14. Aikar, I am very, very annoyed right now. I cannot get onto utopia. The ONLY thing I wanted to do was unclaim my utopia residence; I cannot do so because the player cap is at 5. Please warn us before you do something like this, like the wastelands reset. I cannot unclaim my utopia residence because I cannot get to utopia.
    slash14459 likes this.
  15. I'm going to make TNT only blow up typical world generation blocks like Dirt, Grass, Smooth Stone, Cobble, Sand, Sandstone and Netherrack. (going to intentionally leave off End Stone to prevent griefing the end).

While you may want to blow up your own creation.... The number of people wanting to do that will be small fraction of those doing it to grief.

So this will let us keep TNT "Blast Mining" and mob killing in the Wild, but protect player builds.
    About to push this and a raise of the utopia cap out.

EDIT: Pushed out. Tnt will no longer be usable for griefing.
    Code for change: https://gist.github.com/aikar/1756c3fea314fcf3fd11
  16. I will also be making TNT only damage the player who placed it, to prevent PVP.

As for fishing - We can look into the idea of only taking durability for catching fish as an "improvement" to vanilla minecraft, to make them an interesting combat tool in the arena.

I didn't get time to finish this all tonight, so sometime tomorrow night hopefully.
    battmeghs likes this.
  17. Wait soo I spent 300k to get a diamond supporter voucher, so now my other reses will be deleted?
  18. Why would you think this? :confused:
    Wanderton, 607, PenguinDJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Yo dawg, I heard that Utopia was raised back to 60 Cap instead of 5. Is this true or is Utopia 5 Cap Broken?
  20. Yesss. Thanks for adding this, I know a few new members coming in were confused on how it worked, so I'm glad this was added.