Why have so many people been leaving?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rhyblet, Sep 15, 2012.

1. lawl
  2. I have a problem. And I'm proud.
  3. People come and go all the time. The more socially active ones have been posting goodbye threads.

I think it's kind of a reverse "a tree falls in the forest" concept. Just because you hear the sound of a tree falling in the forest, doesn't mean they are all falling.

Of course, all good things come to an end and there will come a time when Minecrafters will move on to something new. I just don't think this is the end but when it comes, it won't be in an avalanche of goodbye threads on EMC.
  4. People come people go, its the way of the online community....
  5. end? no. the only thing that will END emc is if the admins decide to shut it down.

Check out MMOs for a good example of this kind of thing. Even the earliest ones are still going, except the ones that were shut down by their owners. Asheron's Call and everquest and ultima online are still going and active with a very enthusiastic and loyal player base. They have become what in the movie industry is called a cult classic. This is what MMOs do when their server isn't shut down, it is similar enough that EMC will wind up the same thing a decade from now.

People leave. people join (like me). The server changes but doesn't die.
    Hyratel and vividOptimism like this.
  6. It's various reasons why people are leaving; School, life, bored of minecraft in general, too many beggars. I left because Empire got too big in my opinion. I like very small server (usually private ones), so when Empire got big, I kinda just... left. The moderation is spread too thin (they try their best, I'm sure), so this results in more spam, griefing, and just plain out annoying people. Sure, there are plenty of good players out there, but there are just too many idiots (not pointing to anyone).
  7. I guess you aren't aware of the /report feature?

Every time someone is breaking rules and I report them, the situation is dealt with in under an hour, usually within minutes, and sometimes in under a minute!

Spread too thin? no way in hell. This is the best moderated non-whitelist minecraft server I have ever seen, by a large margin.
  8. Im starting to understand some of the players that are leaving.

Today when I was on SMP1 and a player shouted out "Grefing party at XXXX". I went there and he started yelling about that I had stolen is emerald block.
    Since I dident have perms to build or remove,I dont understand how thats possible.

Alot of idiots have started to join EMC and I must say that EMC has become less attractive compard to when I started and the temptation to leave has become bigger.

I am sorry but all empires fall and we might be the next one unless we take more drastic steps......

Greetings
    Thestar19
    codygraw101 and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  9. While I understand that problems happen, I'd like to ask that you try not to scare people with things like that, lol. EMC is far from falling. Every major business/company has bad eggs as they go larger, that's just how life works. However, I would suggest that if the little problems EMC has is that bad for you, please, for your sake, stay away from Xbox/PC/PS3 gaming...that will freak you out. :p
  10. Clapping.gif
    Glasi13 likes this.
  11. I totally agree... and they make the thread...are gone a month... and back! I think a lot of it is attention... and likes... lol
    Glasi13 likes this.
  12. I dident mean to scare anyone away,Im just trying to say that while EMC is better then other servers,Theres still a alot to work on.

And I play PS3,So Im not complaining on the Tecnicalstuff,Im impressed all the time by Justinguy and Aikar by theire good programming. I am more complaining on that idiot gets too many chances here in EMC and that I understand how many of the Veterans feel.

Sorry if I sounded negativ :)

Edit
    You get a good "Honured" feeling when Icecreamcow quotes your message and responds :)
  13. I agree with all this about the annoying beggars but there's 4 options to pretty much rid them /report, /ignore /ch off and the amazing wild.
    jaqiefox and thestar19 like this.
  14. I am used to leave here for over 3 months, but now I am back for a chat!
  15. Voldemort?

I'm not a veteran but I kinda feel like this too. I have seen people banned for breaking the rules for things like griefing and then after a few months some of them are unbanned while others weren't. It irked me a ton when I first started seeing it but then I found out that Mods keep notes on accounts so I just figured the ones getting unbanned didn't have as many marks against them as others. Plus they didn't go on and post a "______ THE EMC STAFF!" thread and ruin any chances. I see people spam stuff in chat and don't seem to get in trouble but others who do. Hopefully with more mods being added people will stop doing the "there are no mods on, they don't care."
    Chascarrillo likes this.
  16. I left.

I appear to be back.

:)

Things happen, peoples lives change, priorities change. As Margaritte said, people seem to enjoy the attention that comes from making a thread about leaving, so it's more noticeable, but that doesn't mean it's happening more.

When I left, I simply made a thread for a massive Diamond give-away:

http://empireminecraft.com/threads/the-great-diamond-giveaway.10641/
    (don't bump it!)

For those that turned up, if they asked me why I was doing it, I told them it was because I was leaving and didn't know if / when I'd be back.

That way it was a bit more personal and meaningful.

What you do need to keep in mind is that MC is no different from any other game, where the crowd will sway and drift, the game will get old, and people will just stop playing. It's down to EMC and other servers of its ilk to keep it fresh and worth investing the time, which from what I've seen, they appear to be doing a grand job of!

It's also down to us as EMC'ers, to make sure we tell people about it and get out friends involved.

Word of mouth is the greatest marketing tool ever utilised.

:D

Also, I just saw the word 'Veteran' get used. I don't use words like 'Veteran' or 'Noob' or anything else which splits the Community into different groups.

Here, we're all one big family and everyone is the same, be you a Regular, Iron, Gold or Diamond, have 400 days under your belt or 4. No-one's better or more important than anyone else.

Time for a group hug!
  17. I kind of agree with thestar19, It was better when I joined last year in April.
  18. It reminded me Justin hasn't post any updates on the homepage.
  19. And/or someone updating the updates log....
  20. Justin got hit by alot of RL commitments. He has been moving all around the country.... He moved across the country and then within like 15 days got a different job offer and moved again to the Virgin Islands where hes just now trying to get internet up!

So there was no updates for a while but Justin did keep things running from his phone. EMC Website is hard to keep up while at his new job as its very noticable its not work material... So he limits it.

But now I've been promoted, we've got things back on track with updates and once Justin is settled: Double the updates!

-----

As for leaving -- A lot of it is attention desires.

Many people who left have actually came back to EMC, some on same, some on new hidden alt accounts.

But as others said, its mainly the fact that "making a thread is the new cool" is giving more visibility to it. If you were to count the people who don't like EMC from day 1, the threads would likely only be 10% of them :)