Why aren't there any jobs?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Segzz, Jan 10, 2015.

?

what kind of jobs?

Like Building copanies 5 vote(s) 71.4%
And a decent amount of rupees with it 2 vote(s) 28.6%
  1. Making rupees on EMC is so easy yet so few actually do it.

First. Lets look at the daily sign-in bonus and voting. For a minimum effort you can get (at non-supporter level) 100r for signing in and up to 1300r for voting every day. That's not half bad, imo.

So let's talk about mining. So few do it. Most just go to a player shop (or worse /shop) and buy what they need. But therein lies the greatest way to make money. Selling to player shops.

On EMC you are equipped with starter gear that makes going to the /waste easy and fairly safe to mine. Going out a mere 750-1000 blocks from spawn will net you unmined land most of the time (odds are even better now that the /waste resets every quarter). Diamonds are your sure thing. Players and player shop's are always buying diamonds. But the other ores are valuable as well.

I suggest you start by mining for diamonds and selling them to shops. Then, as you get more rupees and xp) get yourself a silk touch diamond pick and start selling the ores. Diamond ore, lapis ore, emerald ore (found in extreme hills biome) are all worth a lot of rupees. After a not too long time you will find you have more to sell to shops than shops are able to buy. This is when you setup your own shop to sell for 100% of the profit.

I have seen players come on and within just a few weeks have millions of rupees by doing this.

Here is the boss man, Aikar saying it even better than me. http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...f-rupees-fast-without-being-a-supporter.5504/

HTH
  2. Now now, let's not give people the toughest current job on EMC. Oh did I mention I basically did something like this. Then bragged in the forums. Within one day it got griefed. Oy!

As for the OP's concern. Lots of folks have given you good rupee earning suggestions. Consider them roles and jobs. They're non canonized in the game or with a server side plugin, but there are people who want/need lots of diamonds. I want/need lots of stone brick blocks. (I can and do make it. I'm a builder in the wilds...) I earn my rupees by voting, and being an iron supporter (all the $$ I can afford at the moment) After I reestablish my tower I'll be selling things at others shops too. Being out a DC of redstone makes me think having the rupees instead would have been nicer than letting a thief take 'em. (got griefed)

I also HELP people. This doesn't yield rupees immediately, but it earns good will. Good will can get you free things... Also putting up a donations chest and hopper helps. Why just yesterday I got 3 PvP heads donated to me. I hear they can be quite pricey at auction.

So, long story short. Get out there, mine, build, and work with others. While you might not be awash in rupees, you should be able to build some neat things, limited mostly by your skill and imagination. Finally, asking questions in town chat is a good way to learn things and make connections. Both of which help, indirectly, with the materials and rupees.

Of course if you want a VERY DANGEROUS JOB on SMP6 which will reward you with TONS AND TONS of XP, send me a message. I know of just the job...
  3. It's a subject people are passionate about. :) Take it as you inspiring healthy conversation.
  4. No offense, but this is what I hate about almost every other economy server out there. I believe you're referring to the plugins that just pay you automatically for mining or farming pumpkins or such silliness. An economy is based on the exchange of fairly valued goods. It totally kills the economy when people can get paid for creating no real value, and when you cut out the entire marketing, sales, and distribution process, what's left is a boring chore that you repeat over and over until you get tired of it.
  5. The problem is that it sounds better than it actually is. There are much strings attached to this which might even give you the exact opposite effect.

Here's the thing: I come from a server which had just that. Although they weren't called jobs but quests. Basically a quest would be announced every once in a while, you'd then run to the starting NPC to check what they wanted. For example; 16 ghast tears delivered to another NPC.

Then you had an x amount of time to gather all this (usually no longer than 20 or 30 minutes) after which the quest would end. Item amounts and such varied but all had one thing in common; the overall (in-game) value.

Guess what? I used to hate those quests as a newbie. For the simple reason that in order to keep those quests alive (so that people would participate) you'd need to give out a decent reward. But a decent reward also meant the requirement for a certain amount of items. Resulting directly in quests which any random newbie simply wouldn't be able to do due to the sheer amount of required items.

After going after 3 - 4 quests, only to find out that there was no way I'd make it, I simply gave up. Its a very good way to tick newbies off because you're presenting them with things which they probably can't do for quite some time (until they build & filled a decent storage).

Of course there's more to this story....

Because we also had shops. And what better way to make a nice income by making sure that your shop sells quest items and is also known for doing so? You can make money from selling quest items and buying them (at lower prices of course) whenever people wanted to sell but were too impatient to wait for the right quest. (edit: or didn't have the required amounts of course but still needed to make some money).

First problem... Because there was an artificial demand a lot of shops started to concentrate exclusively on selling quest items. After all; this is where some sure money was to be made. Who cares about selling brewing stands, crafting tables, bookshelves, etc. Meh; we're going for the money after all!

Well, I can tell you that newbies cared. Not everyone of course but I've seen and got many questions about how to get basic items such as brewing stands.

And just to put this into a little more perspective: the area where one would get materials for those brewing stands (nether / nether fortresses) was also a PvP area on this particular server. As such you'd imagine that it would only raise the prices (and demand) for materials such as blaze rods. Well, no. Some shops would sell them but a majority would solely focus on quest items.

Its a logical effect, sure, but because you're creating an artificial demand you're also (to some extend, and all in the eye of the beholder obviously) ruining the whole economy. Not ruining where things don't work anymore, its still a game of offer and demand, but ruining in a sense where you're losing touch with the core gameplay. Items which are (in)valuable to gameplay (enchanting tables, brewing stands, etc.) suddenly lose their monetary value because of the artificial quests.

Each to his own but I don't think that's a very healthy Minecraft economy at all. (note that this doesn't involve gameplay, it does (or can) make decent gameplay but that's a different story).

Next...

You'll want to make sure that quests are fair. If you're going to create a bit of a contest (even when it isn't really) then you do need to protect the economy a little bit after all. On this particular place they felt the need (something I fully agreed with) to make sure that automated farms were deemed illegal (there were more reasons of course, but lets focus on quests / jobs here). Otherwise it simply wouldn't be fair; one player could basically idle all day and automagically get all his quest items whereas another player would actually work hard for it.

(I know it's a grey area, one can also argue that the first player worked hard to set up his farm, lets not go there).

So basically; if jobs are a thing you'll also want to make sure that players aren't going to abuse them. Because sooner or later that is going to happen.

I can even go on....

Players who gained quite a bit of fortune and want to expand even further. So what do you do next? Well, simple: when you assume that the next quest is going to start you run over to your competitors shop and buy all their items. Empty 'm out completely.

Sounds crazy?

So now a newbie who managed to gain just enough money to actually participate in a quest (read: has enough money to buy the required amount of items, it'll give him less profit but a profit still) and so he runs over to the shop he knows best. Finds the right sell sign and... Out of stock?! <insert nasty words here>.

That happens 2 or 3 times and then all of a sudden this other shop starts advertising. "Get your quest items here, stocks are guaranteed!".

Foul play? Well, I don't think its very nice, no. But against the rules? Well, enter the grey zone... And grey zones are usually an headache for staff members.

Quests, or jobs as you call 'm, may sound great but all they're going to do is place us further away from the core Minecraft gameplay.

If it would come to a vote I'd care enough to actually do so. And my verdict would be a no way.

Honestly; one of the things which immediately grasped my attention when I first started (apart from the tutorial, town spawn areas, and HUGE builds) was the simple fact that I could actually head over to a shop and... gasp.... actually buy myself some basic gameplay components (the frequently mentioned enchanting table, bookshelf, brewing stand, etc, etc.).
  6. he asked for a job, not an easy job. not everything off smp6 spawns has been griefed there are quite a few hidden things there that vets know about, that remain untouched so it shouldnt be too hard for him to do something similar
  7. Heres a Job: /smp4 then /v skarecboi then buy free sugarcane and craft into paper and sell to him.
  8. *Blames Obama for lack of jobs*

(jk of course :p , or am i)
  9. Sorry for responding to a now somewhat dated thread but I discovered something in the mean time and would like to share my experiences...

In a way we already got jobs or quests or whatever you want to call them. And the payment is: emeralds.

I am of course talking about villagers, and although I can see why some people wouldn't agree on the "job" part they can actually be used as such. Easily.

For example; I've been doing my share of mining as of late and hauled quite a bit of coal. And as I discovered; some villagers are all too happy to trade coal for emeralds (roughly 24 - 28 coal); with enough coal that'll get you at least 6 - 8 emeralds. And when the job runs out?

Either try the next deal he gives you (which often 'unlocks' the first) or simply eggify the villager and get a new one (but that's a little bit "cheating" I think).

But there are plenty of deals and jobs to exploit here.

Lets say you don't want to mine in the waste. No problem!

Get your hands on a farmer (brown robe) and librarian (white robe). The farmer may trade carrots, wheat and potatoes for emeralds. The librarian may trade paper for emeralds. And all those items can be obtained right on your residence! Build yourself a nice farm, optionally you can automate it with dispensers and water.... And start growing sugar cane to make plenty of paper...

You can sell emeralds for roughly 20 - 30 rupees. Right now I'm sitting on 26 emerald blocks which would be approx. 4600r (I assumed 20r per sale).

I know its not a job in the way you pictured it, but I do think it can be fun as well as rewarding. And you wouldn't even need to leave your in-game house to do it ;)

(well, perhaps to get some supplies I suppose ;)).
    Palmsugar likes this.