Where has Legit been: A rant

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mrlegitislegit, May 29, 2015.

1. I actually only play most of the time if people from my outpost or some friends are on because right now the server just feel way too crowded its harder to find the right people to bond with.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I don't think EMC is that mainstream anymore. It was, way back in late 2011 - early 2012, since it was pretty much one of the only rudimentary server networks and had a bunch of unique features: but then the big game server networks started popping up all over the place after the release of BungeeCord, and they got massive playerbases from sucking up things like popular (talking about mini-games that were released during Beta) mini-games and getting popular YouTubers to play on them, work for them, and design their stuff. They've been pretty much the most popular servers going for about three years now (although only three of them are still here, pretty much :p).
  3. I never said that they couldn't be generated in the frontier; it was just impossible, in normal no-bugged gameplay, for already generated oceans before the version update for Ocean Monuments came into the picture, to have ocean monuments.
  4. I think that we just need to have our older players communicating more with newer players. That's what I have been doing recently, and from it I have learned that the newer players are actually suprisingly like some of the older players I remember, that's why I think we should just try using town chat more, maybe we can have not dead town chats and make EMC more open for new players.
    Manchildie likes this.
  5. Ok, I'm tired of reading all the posts in this thread. No offence, so I am starting from here. I want to connect with more players too and if I'm repeating something because of my laziness, I apologize. I'm going to start another thread and I encourage everyone who has been part of this one to join that one. I will put up a vote to decide one thing:

I propose that we make a new 'outpost' on one server. Anyone who just wants to build together and be social should join. No official in or out kind of thing, but just open it to everyone and don't worry about it. Build and be social. I'll put a vote up to decide which wild to choose. Majority wins. I recommend that everyone votes for a server that they never do much with.

So...who's with me?

Chum
    georgeashington likes this.
  6. Your point is the forums are great - and I, to this day, believe they are. But, to but it plainly, you're relatively new. I'm not. I joined on June 22, 2012. Almost three years ago. And things were different.

Different... but in a better way.

While you may think the forums are amazing and doing great, compared to what went on in the earlier days of the Empire... the forums are pitiful.
    It's been my personal goal to never turn chat off or ignore anyone. Saying "Hello" to a friend is much more important to me than not having 20 disconnect messages in a row.
    My point there was that it's not the place to start a business. That's all.

ShelLuser and wisepsn like this.

7. You won't see me denying that.

That's in the eye of the beholder.

A critical but honest remark. I can respect that, but... That does deserve an equal critically remark back :)

So why did people leave back then?

(next part not really aimed at you Penguin, but in general)

With all due respect, but that is what I keep hearing every so often: "Hello, I'm back after xx amount of absence and it was so much better back then.". For the record.. this also triggers memories from my past, and in all honesty those are included in my reaction here. This is not something exclusive to EMC.

But since we're going to be critics, and I have to stress this out: with all due respect, but lets throw the question out in the open: then why did people leave in the first place?

Because that is the part which is so easily and often ignored.

Some people use the argument: "I was here xx days longer than you, so...". Interesting. But how much value does it have if out of the xx days earlier of joining you also went absent yy days? Don't get me wrong: it's cool that people who joined up 2+ years ago find their way back onto EMC. For sure. But there is a huge difference between joining up 2 years ago while continuing to visit on a frequent basis and joining up, leaving, and eventually re-joining.

Especially, and this is strictly my opinion, if you come back with an outspoken opinion on how things have evolved. Because.. Where were you when evolution happened? Why weren't you there to steer or mold it?

These changes don't happen on a whim and also not because "Aikar said so". Nonsense. It happened over time. And yah, I think it's a little (too?) easy to leave the server, come back after x amount of time and then state you don't like the changes.

Being as outspoken as I am, and I know it, there's one thing I realized all too quickly: talk is easy. I had a few things blow up in my face (figure of speech) or a project sounded a lot more exciting than it was (one of those is stalled atm. but brewing). And these are only EMC examples, I can do worse by including "other places".

Thing is; I've see this happening too often. Especially in Minecraft land. You become popular, you decide to leave and you come back only to comment about how stuff was much better previously.

Each to his own, and each is entitled to his/her own opinion, but yah.. I think that in these cases, esp. with this server, you're also overlooking a lot of things.

Erhm... yah :) what I said there :p

</rant> (sorry :))

OK, I see and can most certainly respect that. Better yet: agree. Heck, I do like smp2 chat but I'd be lying if I said its all perfect. Every once in a while there are newbies which I'd rather ignore. Or semi-ignore.

As to SMP5 and starting a business... We will see :) I have plans for my smp5 residence, it started out as a vacation resort but now... Alas; lets see again at upcoming Christmas.
    Gawadrolt and ChickenDice like this.
  8. I suppose we could try to do something about this...

Community meetup on SMP8 @5PM MDT tomorrow?
    wisepsn likes this.
  9. *sigh*
    Maybe i should build my Rave again

*version number 3*

Though no one ever does request to use it.
    Perhaps it's because it ultimately amounts to a box with lights, some extra rooms, interesting signs and not much to do but jump around, chat, and play hide and seek.
  10. I am going to be hosting a digathon on Utopia 5pm EST tomorrow for some fun random stuff. Here is a link to the thread. That will be a fun chance for the community to meat up and talk while completing pointless but self-set goals.
    ShalomOut and Hash98 like this.
  11. I won't be able to make that as I'll be at work. If it's going on at 5MDT I'll pop by.
    cadenman2002 likes this.
  12. Amen.

Seems to be people have ideas and then the Moderators come in and take control. Kind of stealing ideas. No accusations though. :/
  13. Great! But not that many people know! That's the problem, people aren't informed because so many new threads filter through a day due to the fact that the empire is so large!
    ShalomOut likes this.
  14. That sounds good to me. Perhaps we could start up some sort of group to chat about what our community needs and doesn't need? This is a good learning opportunity and a chance to reinstall what is best for the community back into it.
    ShalomOut likes this.
  15. I will try getting it some popularity today although the best way to keep threads up is to get other players to post on them and give their ideas.
    I will almost certainly not be at home then but if people are still there, you can come in and join.
  16. Welcome back! :)

EMC has changed for better and for worse. There are many new members on the forums (by new, I'm not just referring to the week old members...) and in-game. While it's nice to see EMC growing, I do believe it's changed from what it once was. At one point I could spend hours on EMC and not get bored, now, it's like, what do I do? There isn't much to do.

But anyway, as I said, welcome back! :3 *now come play NN2*
  17. *sigh* I have returned, unwillingly dragged back to the thread of whine. After watching several videos and going through a bunch of screen shots, I really can't see much difference between EMC 2 years ago and now. Different players is about the biggest difference I can see. There is still big outposts, no matter how much anyone refuses to acknowledge them, there is still events community and staff hosted, there is still a unique town, still plenty of drama, still smp-ionalism, still celebrity players like Todd, shell(you can deny this all you want), byeforever, Man1c_miner(can never remember his main account), BK, effin, chespin and baradar(and plenty I haven't had enough contact with to remember right off the top of my head). HOWEVER, there is way more awesome updates now, more smps and more players. If anything EMC is way better now. As much as anyone wants to deny the activity of the forums, the forums is brimming with activity constantly. I would love to see actual statistics on forum activity 2 years ago versus today. I would be hard pressed to believe that the forums were way more active, if at all.
  18. The fact that you listed "celebrity players" shows just how much of a wall there is between new players/old players and well-known/not well-known players.
    DubChef and nfell2009 like this.