We got a new forum section! :D

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 607, Nov 22, 2016.

?

What topics should be allowed on EMC?

All, as long as discussed in a civil manner. 4 vote(s) 50.0%
All family-friendly topics. 4 vote(s) 50.0%
Only non-controversial topics. (no religion/politics etc.) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hi, it's me again!

I was looking for the official thread on this but apparently one does not exist... but Krysyy said I could make one! :D

A new section got added to the Empire Extras on our forums: Controversial Topics.
    It seems to be related to the closing of the presidential debate thread, but of course Krysyy might've had the idea for longer.

I quite like it!
    I think this means that more will be tolerated again, as I thought some time ago, religious debate got pretty much banned, for the time being. But this means we can have those topics too, again!

Of course, it could mean people will be more likely to create threads trying to incite drama, but in that case, the [CONTROVERSIAL] tag won't be an excuse. I'm convinced Krysyy and others will still take action if things get out of hand.

And being able to get banned from that section only, seems like a good idea to me too. I hope these bans won't be needed, and I hope Krysyy will think twice - at least - before restricting someone's access, but it's certainly much better than what we can do now if people keep crossing the line.

I don't actually think it'll get much use; perhaps now, because it's fresh, but I don't think we'll get more than 1 or 2 active threads in there.
    But that's not a problem, as it still adds something to our forums!

Thanks! :)

And I think the poll will be quite clear, as most of us agree about what EMC's meant to be. But I don't like having no poll at all, and perhaps we'll get surprising results. ;)
    I did make votes not display publicly, just to be sure :)
    We3_MPO, ShelLuser, Evesthery and 2 others like this.
  2. Ah so I wasn't crazy, I thought that it was new, but I wasn't sure that I perhaps hadn't seen it before. I am quite curious to see some of the threads that come from this.
    607 likes this.
  3. Seems like something that will be used by the people who actually are able to write more than one sentence. :p
    607 likes this.
  4. To clarify:

When I posted in the political debate thread that it had served its purpose in more ways than one it was because we allowed it to continue as a testing ground to see how the community could handle such topics on the forums.

We were very happy with the results and, with only a few issues, everyone was able to keep things under control. We also understand that sometimes these threads can cause some players to act differently than other topics, so we wanted to have the ability to limit access (if it was necessary) without the need for moderator review/site ban. This way, if someone is acting immature with these topics and is reported, they may be removed from the controversial section only until they learn to handle these discussions more maturely.

We hope that you enjoy the new section of our forums as our community continues to grow and develop. We're taking more and more steps going into 2017 to encourage this development. Stay tuned!
  5. Yes!
    That was what I had thought, but I didn't want to imply too much myself as it would be speculation. :)
    I love this development!
  6. I'm a little in-different about the whole thing, simply because I usually got Minecraft on my mind when I visit EMC.

But having said that I also think it's a great development. It gives the community even more freedom with regards to addressing and/or discussing certain topics, and I think that's an admirable effort on the part of the EMC staff.
    607 likes this.