Upcoming Supporter Changes Ideas | Price Poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jun 27, 2014.

?

What Prices would you be ok with paying as a Supporter

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
10 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 96 vote(s) 39.0%
10 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 35 vote(s) 14.2%
15 Supporter | 10 Cosmetic 34 vote(s) 13.8%
15 Supporter | 15 Cosmetic 5 vote(s) 2.0%
One Rank | 20 17 vote(s) 6.9%
One Rank | 25 3 vote(s) 1.2%
One Rank | 30 3 vote(s) 1.2%
I am unable to support the Empire 53 vote(s) 21.5%
  1. Ok thanks for responding
  2. If I upgraded to Gold, would my rank be changed to Cosmetic/Supporter after this new change is enforced?
  3. If you upgrade to gold before these changes take effect, you would become a supporter, but not cosmetic. If you maintain the gold supportership, you would receive a 5$ discount each month until you cancel it as gold is currently 10$ and supporter will be 15$
  4. You just reminded me of when I was able to get close enough to an Empire Shop chest that had free aggressive mob eggs in it :p it said it was for staff only
  5. I have tried those chests before, they don't work for non-staff lol.
  6. Yeah, I kept asking people if I could get banned and nobody answered - when everyone left the mob arena, I tried it and it was a waste of time lol :p
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. Seems a bit too much like things they would say in a communist country.
  8. Ok, since it is getting close, I feel like I should get some confirmation about things. For disguising in town, it will not show names above us, correct? Will it show any indicator of the mob actually being a person? My home server is SMP5, and I fully intend to be that sheep at /v +woolmart that no one can shear and that no one knows what is wrong with.:D

And will these new ranks be available right away on Aug. 1st? If the ranks aren't ready (code wise), would you put up BETA versions of the ranks? Because all I really care about right now is disguise lol, so if that was the only working feature of the Cosmetics rank, I wouldn't be upset. :)
  9. Everything won't be ready by aug 1st, just haven't had the time.

The goal is to keep getting incremental changes out as I can, and soon as I feel the new ranks are "done" enough, then transition the upgrade page to those ranks and convert NEW people to them.

Current supporters will retain the perks they have today until a final cut off date (after proper email has gone out).

I'm not worried about missing the aug1st deadline, as we are working on complying but just haven't had enough time yet, so theres no reason for Mojang to go after us (if they even go after anyone.... They likely won't even go after anyone, but we will slowly work towards complying)

--

Disguises... I think its best to have names shown if we have the option. I don't know yet until I start working on it
    sambish20 likes this.
  10. It will most likely take time to solidify all the changes that we will be making. Disguises would be something that people could potentially use in an ill manner to troll or scam other players. Therefore, more discussion will need to happen to figure out the way to best handle it.
  11. Also relevant to this - As free players have noticed, a new ad was placed below the first post of every page.

Based on data from our ads, I believe this new ad will generate the most money out of all ads (The BOTTOM ad generates the same amount of money as the very top ad does... so combine leaderboard size of the bottom with a top position, should do very well).

As with the other ads that affect content positioning, supporters do not see this ad, giving another incentive to be a supporter.

A MAJOR reason I wanted this ad is that thread viewing is one of the biggest things done on the forums, as we do receive tons of traffic from Google that isn't even Minecraft specific.

However, on threads we were only showing 2 of the max of 3 ads per page, so we were missing quite a lot of ad revenue by not having a 3rd on the thread view.

This will let us benefit greatly from visitors to the site too, where as previously we missed 1/3rd of potential ad income on those people.
  12. Is there anyway that you could make a toggleable option in settings for supporters to show all ads? I personally don't mind them and have always had adblock disabled on emc :)
    607 likes this.
  13. Soon yes. I need to "clean up" the code to hide them as once we add these new ranks its going to get sloppier, and it will make it easier to have a toggle then.

I'll shoot to do that soon. (But note we don't get paid for ad shows, only clicks, but don't click on them unless your actually interested in it)
  14. Also another reason I wanted to look into get the ad revenue up is that as many of you old timers know, EMC use to be filled with "sexual" ads, and virus installing "Download Now" buttons.

Of course... those kind of things got a lot of clicks, but I've been active on keeping our ads clean and safe, so ad revenue is constantly on the decline, and this should help offset it.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. Ever since those ads left, I have been wandering aimlessly over the internet looking for Filipino women. :( Oh the struggle!
    PenguinDJ, 607, AlexChance and 3 others like this.
  16. I got two pop ups recently(I think yesterday but this week has been hectic.) saying my media player was out of date after opening EMC pages which I clicked out of because I assumed them malicious. This was using two different computers and two different browsers. It happened too fast to see what the original ad was. Would this have anything to do with the new ad?
  17. Well the new ad didnt go live until today, and Google ads can't cause popups...

So a new window itself opened? Sounds like you have spyware if a window opened as they just don't do that on Google ads.

Spyware will usually inject itself into all browsers, or worse, proxy your request to insert code into the page.
    Pab10S likes this.
  18. I visit a lot of links from Fark which is a news aggregate, had just opened a few new tabs along with a few EMC forum threads to read while eating lunch. It must have come from one of the other links. Since it happened just after I opened the EMC tabs both times I was associating it with EMC but it was likely from the pages I opened previously as they finished loading. It is actually pretty rare that I see anything like that at all so it has been on my mind as something to watch out for and your post about new ads made me wonder if it was more than a coincidence.
  19. also for anyone interested - we have added a Bulk Buy option for the vouchers to get a discount! Buy 5 for $100.
    ShelLuser and cadgamer101 like this.
  20. I think that names would be tolerable if they were on hostile mobs only, and under the same system as regular mobs (proximity) are, so that it's not completely hidden, but not completely out in the open either. I think that regular mobs would be fine without names, I can't think of any negative sheep trolls one could do lol. I do think that proximity names on bats (silverfish too) should be a for sure thing, since they were used in the past to scam and steal with.