Uh, so this means what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mba2012, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ikr, who doesn't hate north korea
  2. How many times do people have to be told. That will never happen. As much as they threaten to do so, every country is too scared of the devastation caused by such a thing. Those countries who apparently have such horrible dictators that someone needs to invade them and kill half their population, they have enough common sense to know that using Nuclear weapons is a bad idea and will bring bad things for them.

Technical warfare is what we will be seeing in the future. Recent fighter jets have been starting to missiles and what not with computers, to allow them to engage in technical warfare.

There just seems to be this ideology that war is where you go and shoot people all day, but it isn't, it's way more complex than that, the point of a war is to try not to get people killed.

Me, because they are simply trying to get vital assistance. Their means of getting it may be a bit odd, but the reason behind it, is it get the vital human aid that their citizens need.
  3. war is about making someone submit to your will by pressuring them into listening to you, most of the war you hear about is the killing. there is always war but the govt's of the world hide a lot of things from us
    wisepsn likes this.
  4. Putting THIS in my sig.
    porphos likes this.
  5. Actually, because we are democracy, the government actually cares quite a bit about keeping people happy. If the people aren't happy, come next november elected officials will loose their jobs, removing both their power and money. So while it is true that people are always angry at the government, they do care and that would likely prevent them from bringing back the draft.
    wisepsn likes this.
  6. they only try to make us think that they care so that we will reelect them.
    wisepsn likes this.
  7. Very true. It's definitely for selfish motives. Still would make them think twice about a draft though.
  8. you do have a point
  9. *Glares at Syria*
    mba2012 and cddm95ace like this.
  10. At least Syria is giving back its chemical weapons :p
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  11. I used to think people were conspiracy theorists with what I'm about to say, but the more and more that I think about it, I really don't think our votes have anything to do with who gets elected here. I mean, Bush apparently was super horrible during his first term and he got elected again. Obama bombed 10x worse than people thought Bush did and he won by a landslide. I almost feel like we're government puppets, and they have their own agenda and put on a "play" for us to make us think we have a say in stuff.
  12. The best part about our government is that no matter what they say they'll do while running, they can do whatever they want once they're elected, and there's almost nothing we can do until their term expires, at which point, they can make a couple of promises again, and win back most of the fools who voted for them the first time. It's not so much that some specific group is screwing up, rather that our whole system being broken.
    HylianNinja and cddm95ace like this.
  13. You are right. Our votes don't choose the president. The Electoral College's votes do! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

~someone please hold me back because when I am agitated I blow up really fast and end up causing giant wars
    As said on other server
  14. My views go past that even though. I mean, that before any votes were even placed, they already KNEW they were gonna re-elect Obama and make the numbers just show how they wanted them too. Even this government shutdown was probably planned by both sides and the "left vs right" crap they pull is just an illusion to keep us in the dark.
  15. I don't agree about the whole both parties planning shutdown thing, but the rest is probably true
  16. That's not the problem. The electoral college is almost directly linked to popular vote. Not directly, leading Bush's reelection, but almost. (BTW, the electoral college system was written for a time in which only white landowning males could vote, and the majority thereof were incredibly uneducated. Needless to say, it's no longer effective.

Either way, the president doesn't have too much power in the government. I hate to say it, but he doesn't make laws, he figureheads them. The Congress are the ones with the power, and its the Congress that are corrupt. For example, we all know that Congress is being paid during the shutdown. However, many people don't know that the Congress receives a set pay. Guess who sets that pay? Yep, Congress. In fact, every year since the law that let Congress raise its own pay, they have done so. Sounds like responsible lawmaking to me.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  17. Out of the 43 different presidents we have had, only 9 incumbents have lost and 6 have not been renominated by their parties. That means that roughly %66 of the time, the US is willing to re-elect their president. Now, I could understand a theory that our votes count less than they should currently, but unless you want to say that this conspiracy extended all the way back to the early 1800s and late 1700s, its probably just an overarching trend. Incumbents certainly work hard to please the people in the last 6 months they're in office :p
  18. I feel that this "theory" if accurate, is more of a recent generation thing.
  19. Argument. There's no way to twist raw numbers unless all party are corrupt. I doubt all the individual parties were willing to twist their statistics. The left v. right issue is the biggest problem. The politicians of our country are too immature fighting amongst themselves to look at the big issues. The two biggest problems for Senators/Representatives are making sure the opposite side doesn't pass a law, and getting reelected, stifling progress and change.
    cddm95ace likes this.