Turkey Slicer Non-Final Loss

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Seanawesome14, Nov 28, 2014.

?

How do you feel about this?

I never had a Non-Final Slicer but I still believe it makes sense 5 vote(s) 13.9%
I had a Non-Final Slicer and I really like this idea 6 vote(s) 16.7%
I had a Non-Final Slicer but think that it's ok that I got just a regular slicer in return 4 vote(s) 11.1%
I never had a Non-Final Slicer but think it's ok that those who once had one didn't get anything 21 vote(s) 58.3%
  1. It wasn't a demand but a suggestion, and calling at least 7 people (50%) "ludicrously greedy" is insulting and inaccurate. You seem to have disregarded most of what he said and gotten angry.

Also not super polite. Sorry if you didn't have a good holiday.
    What makes it more impossible than going through and finding all the edited blades and adding final to them, removing the names and enchantments, or providing compensation to those who enchanted theirs?

Edit: These "ludicrously greedy" players have donated 100's of real $USD to EMC.
    Seanawesome14 likes this.
  2. The non-final blades were edited automatically and all at once through a series of two updates. They would have no way of knowing whose was whose.
  3. There is no way to undo what has happened atleast they still let there be dropped turkey slicers. Maybe they arent as good but hey isnt the potatoe or whatever another promo?
  4. The OP term is being thrown around a lot in this thread and I am not sure how it applies. In my experience OP is usually used in terms of games where people play against each other and certain abilities give an advantage others can't counter. The only thing we could use these OP items on are mobs and I think if the mobs had a complaint about unfairness they would have complained a long time ago. How is it unfair if everyone has an equal chance to have one like we did at first?

Also, what exactly is final? How does not having the final attribute make the sword an unfair item to have? I have normal swords and bows that can kill mobs with one hit as it is. It's not like this thing can kill them any more than that. If it means I can finally repair one of these items, I would use the term "useful" rather than "OP" to describe it, since I would actually use any I get instead of sticking them in a chest or putting them in a frame.

Also, last year's Turkey Slicer had higher Unbreaking and Knockback enchantments. Maybe last year's should have its enchantments adjusted so they are all the same since last year's sword is now OP compared to this year's sword?
    Seanawesome14, fishmeal and MatthewDA like this.
  5. It's not Final alone, it's Soulbound without Final. Final makes the item unusable in an anvil so you can't repair it or rename it or add enchantments to it. If it is soulbound it never drops when you die. When you do soulbound without final you essentially get an infinite durability item (like voter's gear which somehow isn't too OP).

That's why I suggested removing the soulbound as an alternative. Unfortunately (possibly to avoid people hiding them and renaming them) EMC kept the patch a secret until it was already done, so it wasn't possible to include any input from players.
    Seanawesome14 and Pab10S like this.
  6. I would much prefer having neither Soulbound or Final on it. It would make it a more interesting item for me by increasing the likelihood that I'll use it while simultaneously increasing the risk I take using it. Having Soulbound on an item that I am guaranteed to eventually lose through normal use seems kind of pointless and increases the likelihood that the item will end up on a wall somewhere instead of in an inventory slot where it should be.
    Seanawesome14 and fishmeal like this.
  7. That's all any of the promos tools and weapons are at this point. They are in /shop for 15 or 20k and you aren't allowed to auction or chest shop them once they're used, and you can't repair them. It seems unlikely even a Looting 7 sword would pay for itself at those prices.

I had been thinking of OP as "will I ever need or want another sword again?," but your definition may be more accurate. A sword isn't about production (and you can get a voter's sword with Looting 3), and the economy is the only turf in which we really "compete" with each other. Basically if it doesn't make you more rupees (ex. Fortune 10), then it isn't really OP.
    You can already get a Looting 3 Infinity Unbreakable bow, an unbreakable Fortune 3 pickaxe, and an unbreakable Looting 3 sword as well as Unbreakable fully enchanted armor and more "OP" things. EMC wants something in return for them, though.
    http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/vote-bonus-items/
  8. Im sorry if you took this as insulting, but look at it from my point of view. We took time and effort to create this event and these items. A small hiccup occurs in launch and instead of being grateful for even having the event, you try to 'suggest' that you should be compensated with additional one of a kind items. It's not an insult that this is greedy, it is fact.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for what you do have. That is why I said go look it up. I feel insulted that our efforts were not met with celebration, but instead we received complaints and 'sugggestions' of what we can do to make it right. We shouldn't need to make it right at all. Accidents happen and it was autocorrected with no traceable logs.

On note about it being OP. These are promotional and given out on holidays. Making it basically infinite is not going to happen for any promo you dont have to work for. If you want a set of OP tools/armor forever, vote!

And I am having a good vacation, but dont appreciate the staff's efforts being disregarded as routine. The staff did an exceptional job brainstorming and putting this together. I wont sugar coat the fact that this thread should never have been made.
    ItsMeMatheus, 820327, Olaf_C and 4 others like this.
  9. I agree with Krysyy here. Emc staff does put great efforts and a lot of brainstorming to make Holiday promos and events that come with it go smoothly before releasing to the public. For Example, This years Thanksgiving brainstorming started beginning of the month and few suggestions were little op. After awhile and a good talk to krysyy about Deep Frying Turkey isn't just a Texan thing to do we came up with current idea which in my eyes was a success. Also I have to lost Promo items and Valuable items in the Wastelands or just me being stupid and losing them but never blame anyone else for my lost. Asking for a refund from staff and demanding same or better items in return is little crazy in my mind.
    Bigdavie likes this.
  10. I don't understand how you think that this suggestion is somehow at odds with gratitude.
    Also, I believe Thanksgiving's recipient of gratitude was intended to be God, not Krysyyjane9191.
    You both seem to have redefined "suggested" and "demanded" because it somehow makes you feel better about your argument, which is what you turned a reasonable conversation into with your insults.

That's because it was totally your fault.

Did you bother to do the same?
    I had a sword that had my name on it, and I was buying and selling them in my in-game shop when suddenly without warning you guys "took time and effort" to remove it. This thread is filled with us explaining how we understand that decision, but it was still a disappointing loss. Rather than try to work with Seanawesome or to even try to calmly explain why it may or may not be practical, the staff who we pay and support with our $ then showed up to blame him and call him ludicrously greedy.
    Whether you agree with us or not, gratitude works both ways. It is now up to 9 players that you have called crazy and ludicrously greedy. At least two of them have a habit of donating money to you. Be thankful. Is that how you treat everyone you disagree with?

The problem is, unlike Luckygreenbird who just tried to explain things, you didn't bother to have a conversation. You got upset that you felt under-appreciated so you insulted the people who pay EMC.

The only thing I personally asked for is to put my name back on my sword.

Usually EMC's staff, in particular Krysyyjane9191, is awesome and kind, but I think you need to take a step back and reconsider your approach.
  11. That's what I was saying my fault no else to blame or demand anything from anyone else.
  12. I know I'm not a staff and can't speak for them, so I won't. But I am a player, and once I heard about the non-final turkey slicers I went exploring to find one. I finally found some turkeys, but I didn't end up finding the sword till a few minutes after the sword was made final. AND LET ME TELL YOU I WAS just fine with. I can see all the work that our staff has put into this and I really appreciate it.

Now onto this compensation nonsense. I own 14006, which means I'm all for new promos/renamed items. But I don't think this is the right way to have them be made. If the staff did this is sets a precedent that any time a mistake is made, it has to be made up for. And that isn't fair to the staff. We're just lucky to even have emc.

If you somehow feel entitled to a rare item just because you got lucky from a mistake, please look at yourself and ask, why do I really want this? I think you will find the answer is simple, that you are greedy.

Hugs and Kisses -mman
    Luckygreenbird and L3A8 like this.
  13. Netherhound eggs

suggestion

It's an economy server. By strict definition every instance of anyone trying to make rupees or gain items is greed. You can twist things how you want though.
  14. I once argued against the Netherhound Eggs even though I have some, simply out of principle. A Netherhound Egg is cosmetic whereas this promo has more than a cosmetic effect so there's a difference. The way I look at it, the custom stuff Aikar does are his own creations to do with as he pleases and if his plan was to make the item Final then it is his prerogative to retroactively make the item what he had planned in the first place.

Suggestions from us are good though because it gives him feedback he can use to improve the experience here. I like the idea of a Renameable Promo. Maybe for a future Promo Aikar will figure out a way to allow it in a way that Staff is comfortable with. Maybe a special Anvil in /Shop could do something like this for a fee.
    L3A8 likes this.
  15. First, I like you Krysyyjane9191 and I think you probably do more for this community than any other one person. Maybe we didn't say it loudly enough, but most of us greatly appreciate all that staff does on this server. However, we the players, consumers, and sources of EMC's income ought to be given more thoughtful replies than this.
    Not instead of.
    And asking children for real world money for virtual money and fake pieces of paper? It's all about perspective. You can make anything sound evil if you use the right words. To be clear, I don't feel this way, my point is that if you're not benefiting from something it is very easy to judge.
    They were. If you chose to focus on one small part of the picture, on one thread instead of the other threads out there and all the things being said in chat, that is your choice.
    Thank you for actually responding to the suggestion with an answer.
    Did you read the suggestion?
    Again, not disregarded. You can disagree with someone without judgment.
    This suggestion is not at odds with enjoying the event. I still think it's awesome, and though I'm not veteran enough to be sure, I suspect one of the best EMC has had.
    In fact, everyone who got a non-final slicer was someone who was online right when it started and already participating, probably excited about the Thanksgiving event.
    If you look back over old threads you will see that I suggested random Thanksgiving food drops and a Thanksgiving promo axe weapon. My suggestion was almost 100% given to me, whether for that reason or not. Not only was I excited about this event, but I've helped lead new players on "turkey hunts,"and I am online even more than usual in order to participate myself. I will try to remain excited in spite of the damper you have placed on my mood.

I like all of this. I had just thought about opening a suggestion for a non-final, non-soulbound promo. If you want to do it, I will certainly +1 it.
    However, I think you all have still confused the word suggestion with demand. I am perfectly fine with having this suggestion denied, and I bet Seanawesome is too. If Luckygreenbird is correct, it can't be done. No one denied Aikar's right to do as he pleases. We merely suggested, and so far 50% of people agreed.

Anyway, thanks for the responses and to Luckygreenbird for making things clear.

16. 50% agreed to what?

Sorry if I am disrespecting anything but I am wondering what 50% of people agreed to. According to the polls, it surely was not this suggestion.
  17. People voted. I bet you were one of them... Now it's 40%
  18. Yes, why?
  19. Presumably, you saw the poll close to or at 50/50, changed it to another ratio, then told me I was incorrect.