Third Currency

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GreenMeanie, Jan 17, 2022.

?

Good idea.. Right?

Yes 10 vote(s) 45.5%
No 8 vote(s) 36.4%
This already exists 4 vote(s) 18.2%

1. This brings in the question, can we use potions? What about having a beacon on that res? They could negate the drowning damage.. but also, would we HAVE to store our pickles in water? Do they not count as currency otherwise?
  2. I don't think staff should have a say per se in the exchange rate. It should develop organically.

Isn't this the case for the dong too?

3. The storage reses would originally be filled with water. You could just remove the water and place them normally.

That was a very organic pun...
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  4. Just going to leave this here... it happened BEFORE the proposal of this new currency. Coincidence? I think not >_>
  5. so, u're enjoy it?
  6. How'd you already get so rich? This is insane...
    AnonReturns likes this.
  7. Gotta make sure you turn up to Harvest Day :cool:
  8. This may sound cool but is frought with all the issues of IRL fiat currency:
    the MAIN one being that if there isn't a limit to the currency (IE it can be farmed to an infinite amount or printed)... then it is fundamentally worthless and will just devalue over time to due inflation; which will only get worse with time.

If ALL survival/resource servers never got reset you'd say AD was just fine as there was a limited amount of it to ever exist. but that isn't the case, and even that gets re-generated from what I understand if the waste resets the way I've read. (I'll assume this is a full reset like on most servers).

idk what tokens are cuz I've forgotten reading thru a lot in last couple days, but if there is a currency that is limited by where it comes from (IE you have to do certain uncommon tasks to get any) then that is the important and most stable currency: as even tho more can come into existence that is based on ppl doing work for the currency.

Having worked in accounting this is kinda finance/econ 101.

Summary: Good idea, but from my understanding it isn't doable.
    607 likes this.
  9. This was recently implemented by your EMC's legendary wizzard lizzard.
    GrimmCoin (and GrimmCoin Lite): (aka GC and GC Lite) are a decentralized, commodity-backed in-game 'quasi'-crypto currency. GC are dragonstones renamed to 'GrimmCoin' and GC Lite are Dstone frag renamed to 'GrimmCoin Lite'.

A collective of several anonymous players pooled together over the topic and this was created as it is the most 'self-regulated/automated' way.
    PROS:
    • Basically, they can naturally be 'farmed' from minibosses/enraged mobs. Thus providing additional value from the mobs, which is good as current boss drops have been devalued due to market saturation.
    • Dstones/frags still hold some value, thus 'commodity' backed. Currently its ~3.5-5k for Dstone and 250-500 for a frag. While this could fluctuate due to somebody dumping inventory into market, the item has no 'real' use, and thus the market can adjust to the perceived value
    • The creators don't need to regulate it. Since they can be acquired outside of shops via mob loot it isn't 'centrally managed' making it ideal, as time/effort for something like this is undesirable.
    • Since rates for miniboss spawns have a cap based on player density there is a realistic cap to how many could be obtained (aka 'mined') each day. Since many players focus on builds/farms for other stuff, this number will likely remain quite low for time being.
    • As Derelict Reses get wiped and players quit playing, their inventory often gets lost to time with them: this means any inventory they have of the base commodities will reduce the overall number in existence, which helps to mitigate too many being traded
    • The overall design can be forked by anybody: the limit is really the functionality of the base commodity item (the item can't have too much practical use/demand or else they won't be used as 3rd currency. Also there has to be a limit to how new ones are made to make sure inflation isn't an issue).
    CONS:
    • If EMC ever removes the Dstone/frag from the boss loot then the supply will be turned static based on current number in existence
    • Shop signs only accept rupees automatically as that is how they're designed. GC/GC Lite thus needs to be traded manually; altho this is still prime 3rd currency since a lot of deals are 'bulk' or promo collections/etc.
    KatydidBuild, 607 and FadedMartian like this.
  10. I've seen this thread before, but I just read the title as "Tbird Currency" -- it's time for me to go to sleep. :)
    wafflecoffee and Starsphere like this.
  11. Very interesting. Is there a thread about this?
    Grimm_Pantalones likes this.
  12. the inventory menegment oof u only need a 2000 chest sorting sistem and a supper big Moss farm and outomatic picle farm tho make it drop 9999999,999% vaulu
    UltiPig likes this.
  13. feathers are better tbh
    UltiPig likes this.
  14. It's a trap. Seriously.
    Burki and OhMiku like this.
  15. What do you mean? :p I read the thread linked, but it hadn't been posted in in a while, and I decided not to post in it.
  16. Yeah, well that's cuz IRL. Not a lot to update on the matter. Don't mind Balerina, somebody just doesn't like llamas. ;P
    Zomberina and UltiPig like this.
  17. I'm hoping my constant naysaying would inspire folks to spitefully help launch it.

Guess not. :p
    607 likes this.
  18. I love llamas.

MY llamas.

Not someone's litter that messes with my entity counts. XD
    UltiPig likes this.