The price of MC these days.

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by kilmannan, Dec 30, 2012.

1. I said unless they are upgrading the game with the money. I meant like a big upgrade like 1.2.5. Or launching a new game changing thing.
    fluffinator09 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  2. And here you are still spilling money out on it, lmao.
  3. I'm complaining because the game has been on full release for over a year now.

It was priced accordingly for an Alpha, it then went up in price as development progressed and it became a full release, but the price hasn't dropped back down.

The majority of new release games drop in price after a year, if not earlier, and I can buy XCOM Enemy Unknown which was released in October this year, for £13, but Minecraft, a game that's a year old on full release and has publicly made millions, is £17?

It irks me greatly. They're effectively milking MC to fund other venues of development.

People go on about the updates, but lets be brutally honest and say that a fair whack of features in any given update are a bit of a non-event and don't really add or change anything. "Oo... A new half brick... Set my world on fire why not."

*shrugs*

No, I was just looking out of curiosity. I didn't buy another copy.
    If you're referring to my Gold Supporter - that's not money I'm spending on MC, that's money I'm spending to support the Empire.
  4. Mojang wont lower the price of the game until it stops selling well. If it stops selling we might see a price drop, but until then the only way I see the price going is up. If people are willing to pay the amount of money the game costs, why would they lower the price?
    Equinox_Boss and Jeanzl2000 like this.
  5. NO ONE BUY THE GAME!! jk ;)
  6. It seems like everyone's complaining because of some principle. Honestly, I payed full price, and I'm not complaining in the slightest.
    SoulPunisher and HylianNinja like this.
  7. £18 for a brilliant game that has an amazing dev team who are continuingly adding content?
    Yes please :p
    But anyway, the only reason that some other PC games mentioned are going down in price is because they are finished.
    Minecraft can't really be counted as finished because they keep adding to it, it will only have a chance of down in price if Mojang announces they are no longer updating it.
    And that will be a sad day for us all.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  8. So what? Minecraft has always been a cheap game, if it was at £50 after a year I would complain, But at £17 it's barely anything for one of the best games with one of the best communites, it's clearly a good price, or JackBiggin wouldn't have 314 alts.
  9. Actually he has 365 Alts. One for every day of the year :). And on leap years he just uses his Main.
    PandasEatRamen and HylianNinja like this.
  10. Well, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to put it to you the hard way.

Mojang are a business. As a collective business, they have an aim of maximising profits. They charge this much for Minecraft because that's the price which maximises their profits from the game. If most people were prepared to pay more or believed they were getting the game for a relatively low price (which is called a consumer surplus in economics) they would raise the price.

Now, you probably think Mojang are these evil, corporate tyrants, right? Wrong. There's nothing wrong with providing a good for money. Would you not like the developers of Minecraft to be amply rewarded for their hard work and the many hours of fun they have given you, as well as creating an opportunity for great communities like this one to appear?

Almost all products and technologies we are familiar with today have come about because someone wanted lots of money. Mojang are following this approach, and look where it has gotten us all: to excellence in terms of the fun we've had with this quirky little Java applet. Is that not excellent?
    nfell2009 likes this.
  11. Better Minecraft = More People Working On It -> More Pople = More Pay Out -> More Pay Out = Higher Minecraft Cost. Remember you pay for Minecraft once, so money is going to get tight.
    Joshposh70 likes this.
  12. Angry Birds? It´s almost always the number one game in the Apple app store, with tons of purchases. More people work on Angry Birds to come up with new types of games, yet it still remains at $0.99.
    Let´s follow your flow chart now, shall we?
    Better Angry Birds (like Angry Birds in Space)=more people working on it ->More people= More Pay Out -> More Pay Out != (not equal to) Higher Angry Birds cost. Remember, you pay for Angry Birds once, yet money still doesn´t get tight with the price remaining at $0.99.
    Minecraft pocket edition is $8 (correct me if I´m wrong), saying that minecraft is worth 8 full-length Angry Bird games? Yes, there are multiple Angry Bird games, but you get a LOT of levels out of each one, and I don´t think that there are 8 full version of Angry Bird games out there in the Apple App market (correct me with the names if I´m wrong. I don´t believe that there are).
    As killmannan said, "It irks me greatly. They're effectively milking MC to fund other venues of development."

Referring to my reasons stated above, the prices are becoming irrational.
    I´m sorry, I don´t use euros. And sorry for the typographial errors. I´m using a spanish keyboard with literally sticky keys. Everything is highlighted in red so I don´t know what´s spelled wrong.
    vividOptimism likes this.
  13. I dont know what your on about. Me either
  14. To everyone who wants this to be less money, I have this to say. It's only $20 dollars. if you're so concerned about that, then there's a problem somewhere.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  15. £17 is really cheap for a game like this. Minecraft also isn't complete - look at how many bugs there and how many updates there are. I bought Minecraft in its final alpha stage, and it was about £10. The price didn't even go up that much.

Project Zomboid is £5. They pay their rent and money for their food with this, because it has such a large userbase it's going up on greenlight sometime within 2 months, even though it's only just leaving alpha, so if people pay for a cheap but great game, they will get alot of money.

If you can't afford Minecraft, you have to be a tramp living in a bin behind an ASDA/Wal-mart store, and be able to use the internet because you're using the free wi-fi from the Mcdonalds a few metres away on a grafted laptop.
  16. Well Minecraft seem's to cost nothing to JackBiggin with 6 and 1/2 accounts!
  17. So you're saying Minecraft took as much work as Angry Birds?
    SoulPunisher and nfell2009 like this.
  18. While Minecraft sill brings new things in with updates and Angry Birds just have another game:
    Angry birds in space. Angry birds at the beach. Angry birds have run out of ideas
  19. Angry Birds in space was a completely new idea with new physics.

@Sparertoaster: Possibly. But the real question is was it 8 times the amount of work?