The price of MC these days.

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by kilmannan, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Yes, it was 8 times the amount of work. Minecraft is 100x more work than angry birds. Also Space wasn't a new idea, it was a ripoff of another game I can't remember the name of.
  2. Likely.
  3. I have often wondered why they charge 25-30 dollars for a game that wouldn't exist if it were not for third party's. If people like Justin and ICC didn't have the initiative to start servers like EMC then minecraft would never have lasted.
    _Stads_ likes this.
  4. Lucky...
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  5. Yes, this is common among game developers. I bought Kerbal Space Program early because they say it will likely go up as it gets closer to GA.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  6. Because they can! With pure capitalism, it is an error to say that prices are set by sellers/businesses. Prices are always set by buyers when they agree to purchase an item, service, or material. With a mixed economy where there is non-market intervention (usually governmental), consumers lose this control. Mandatory insurance is a good example.

The point is that a lot of people are apparently willing to pay $27 for Minecraft, so the developers sell it for that price. If the market goes down, prices would likely follow. It's the basic law of Supply and Demand, although in the case of software there is essentially an unlimited supply, but due to IP law all of the supply is controlled by a single entity, so the only thing likely to change the equilibrium point is the demand side.
    SparerToaster likes this.
  7. This is based off of nothing. Do you have any proof that Minecraft is 100x more work than angry birds? This is solely an inference, which cannot be relied on.
    Do you have any proof that it was a ripoff of another game? Without the name of the game that was ripped off, your statement is powerless.
    @Sparetoaster-Again, saying likely is only an inference. What if I said that it was likely that Angry Birds was 8 times the amount of work rather than minecraft? There is no solid proof.
  8. Angry Bird is practically a rip off Crush The Castle Made by Armor Games. Its practically a reskin with birds with special abilities. The thing is Mojang admitted what MC was based of stuff like Infiminer. Angry Birds didn't even credit the Crush Series I believe.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  9. Why are you complaining about Minecraft's price?

In beta they said 25% off, so it meant that the price will be higher if they didn't pay up for an account back then. So typically that makes your rant incorrect, they can change the price whenever they want. There is no law stating that they have to lower the price, its about public interest. It's been 1 year since the release of CoD: MW3 and the price is still $60, its been 2 years since the release of Black Ops, it's between the price range of $30-60. Imo the price of Minecraft is fine, but I do agree with you that they have to lower it sooner or later.
  10. Are you serious?
    RainbowChin likes this.
  11. Oh, I wouldn't put it past Jack, I'll say that.
    It's entirely possible, and a believable thing for Jack to do.
    Xxandster700xX likes this.
  12. But thats like a thousand us dollars
    EDIT:Er 9125 us dollars
  13. I gotta say I was only slightly joking at that.
    But the more I think about, probably not lol
    Xxandster700xX likes this.
  14. I thought you could play offline though? Can't you?
  15. No, because pirates don't have internet
    they download their games using microwave radiation.
    SparerToaster likes this.
  16. You can, it's more like a workaround though.
    If you have a friend, you can ask for his ".minecraft" folder. You can then insert it inside your "AppData".

When logging in, you can put any username on, leave the password blank, when you try to login you can play offline, however you cannot play online.

Tip: you can't play in offline mode servers either
  17. Not in SimCity, which was what i was referring to. Its a pretty big deal, you can play singleplayer, but your game saves are kept on an EA game server, which requires a constant internet connection to use.
  18. Oh haha, that makes sense
  19. Knowing the EA game servers they'll constantly crash and millions of game saves will be lost :p
    Angry Birds has the graphics of a flash game, and the gameplay of a flash game. It has the layout for a smartphone game. This combination would take 6 months.

Minecraft has crappy graphics compared to other games, but they fit well with the game. The game has the engine of Infiniminer, was based off that, but also has over 1 thousand blocks and counting, most were never even took from infiniminer, and it also has potions, sprinting, food and hunger.

Minecraft was released in its first development stage on May 17th, 2009, and began development on May 10th 2009 (the day I turned 9 :p). It was released in Beta on December 20th 2010, and finally released as a full game on November 18th 2011. That enough proof for ya? Going to say no? Then read on.

Angry birds entered development in March 2009, and was released in December 2009. That's 10 months of development.
  20. MC has over 1000 Blocks?! I dont't think it's that many more like 500 different Items