The Name Boxes are too Small

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by CaptainFoxy_, Dec 19, 2017.

1. That's why I thought of something like (basic code - note: I only know a tiny bit of html and javascript :p)

Code:
    if( name.length > 15 )
    {
    font-weight: normal;
    }
    else{}
    What should I google for to do that? Because that sounds like a good idea. :)
    607 likes this.
  2. 607, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. Awesome! That works! :D

Tutorial for changing the size back to how it used to be:

First download and install the Stylish extention from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...es-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en.

Then download the ready to use code from http://puu.sh/yK3ld/1d8b80344e.json.

If you don't want to download my file, you can also copy the code from here, but you'll also have to change a few small settings (which takes less than a minute, but just using the file is easier ;)):

Code:
    .messageUserBlock
      h3  {
          font-size: 100% !important;
          }

Click on the Stylish icon on the top right of your screen, click on the three stacked dots, click on "manage styles" (or whatever similar thing it is in English).

Click on "Retrieve backup" (or whatever similar thing it is in English), and find the file you just downloaded, and open that.

And you're done! :) Click on "Change" (or whatever similar thing it is in English) underneath the just appeared Empire Minecraft name box 100% size thingy to see what the code is, edit which sites it works on (I put in empireminecraft.com), and change its name (which you never see). Everything should work now, without any input required from the user from now on. :)

(chrome:) If you want to hide the Stylish icon from the top right, click click it, and click on "Hide in Chrome-menu", and it should disappear, but still stay active. :)

So, I don't mind the change now, Aikar. ;)
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  4. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the change yet, today. :rolleyes: I only got reminded of it when I saw this thread again. :p I guess I don't usually look at people's names beneath their profile pictures in threads.
    But I guess I will install the extension Jack and Tom are explaining... it sounds interesting. ;) But I suppose it'll make it so that I won't ever get used to it, as I'll have it be the old way here and the new way on my iPad. :p

Edit: Why are there two identical styles in your back-up?... And like this, Foxy's name still doesn't fit. :p But I suppose I wouldn't know how to fix that (I'm not even sure if it's possible like this).
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  5. Because whoops :p If I remember, I'll fix it when I remember. :p But they should be identical indeed, so feel free to renove one of them. :)

And, yeah Foxy's new name doesn't fit completely, but for some reason that I kinda don't understand myself, that doesn't really bother me. Perhaps because I think something like "eh that's a too long name, their fault". :p Or because I kind of glance over that "extra" letter, and already know who it is by the first 15 letters and their profile picture. :p

[quote=607]iPad stuff[/quote]
    I assume that it's not as bad on your iPad, though, as I believe (but am not sure which version it is) that it has a higher pixel density than our computer monitors, making it display the letters better - which is really the problem on my computer and phone, for some reason the old size was just right and the new one just off making that tiny change look a lot different.
    607 likes this.
  6. You are also rendering a different font than I. Not sure who's missing a font in this case though.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  7. (talking to me? :p) The only thing that I changed is the h3 font-size, so a font change shouldn't happen, right?
  8. Yes, I'm saying before you tweaked the CSS size back. The reason yours looks different is more to do with the font.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  9. Good catch, I hadn't noticed that yet. I think it's you, as the 'ij' in 'TomvanWijnen' has always looked as it does in Tom's pictures, on my end, both on Windows and on iOS.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  10. Ah, I see, you're right! Interesting. This is without my CSS edit (as it's on my phone):

You can clearly see how I have round dots, and you have square dots above the ij...

EDIT: after testing the blue theme for myself (stayed the same font), it appears to me that yours is different from mine and 607's. Perhaps it's a Linux thing? Could you try it on your phone?
  11. That's just your phone, probably. I've never seen round dots on names on EMC.
    Edit: This is wrong. I was mistaken.
  12. My work computer that has pretty much zero modifications has the round dots :confused:
  13. This is getting more and more strange. xD Thanks for notifying, though!
  14. I also have round dots on names.
  15. If Linux doesn't have the Trebuchet MS font, then this all makes sense.

Code:
    font family: 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; 
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. Actually, you're right. I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I guess on our monitors, the dots looked square because of the low resolution?
  17. Judging from a quick google search, it appears that Aikar's Linux likely indeed doesn't have Trebuchet MS. And from another, that Helvetica's dots are square indeed.

It's because the letters do not get enough pixels to "use their full potential" - they have to be scaled down and messed with to fit into the pixels. I have (amongst others) a 24 inch 1920 by 1080 monitor, if I had a 24 inch 3840 x 2160 and put my browser at 200% size, so the forum would be the same size, I would be able to see the dots (on top of the i and j) and the other letters better, because there are more pixels that can be used to more accurately display the in itself infinitely (?) round letters.

The difference in fonts also explains why Aikar doesn't see it; the Trebuchet MS font is a very round font -> needs a lot pf pixels to display properly, while the Helvetica font is much more square, and therefore doesn't need nearly as many pixels to be displayed properly. :)
    607 likes this.
  18. MS stands for Microsoft. I have square dots since I run a Mac.

EDIT: after zooming in, I found that I do indeed have round dots.
  19. I published a modified version of Tom's code... but it isn't showing up where Rhy's style is. I'm not sure if I fully understand how this is supposed to work... it makes it harder that someone decided to make a Dutch translation that doesn't even make sense - and everything else on my pc is in English, so I don't even know why this plug-in uses 'Dutch' in some places.
  20. What are you asking? :p