The Do's and Do Not's of Reporting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. This has actually been noticed by myself as well. I will work with the staff on this.
  2. It still has a serious meaning. It is a step below the f word, and several steps above banned words like "ass". It makes no sense to me personally. I couldn't care less about some film rating guideline.
    SoulPunisher and mba2012 like this.
  3. The a-word is banned.. So does that mean I have to rename my "donkey" farm..? :oops:
    boozle628 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. Seeing as how it is not used except when calling someone a name or referring to the donkey itself, it was not included in the above post.

As for using it when referring to donkeys, please use the term donkey. Referring to a donkey as an 'ass' is just purposefully using the term when there is no need to and leads to confusion in chat.
  5. The S-word was one of the seven words from the monologue George Carlin did named, Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television. Thankfully, the use of the other six are still banned here.

I went looking for it to listen to it again and got distracted by a Wiki article. In it, it said that Lenny Bruce was arrested in 1966 for saying the S-word and the A-word among other things.

Of course, these days they do much worse through innuendo.

Edit: I guess saying that something is "badass" is out?
  6. +1 for Pab10s for George Carlin reference
    QuarterStop, jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  7. +1 to you for recognizing who he was.
  8. That's fine and is a separate word in itself. Though you could just use the term awesome, stellar, fantabulistic, etc =P It's more positive.
    Pab10S and QuarterStop like this.
  9. I don't mean to be a shit (lol puns), but couldn't the same argument be used to replace the s word in "My shit is gone!" with crap? The s word not only is seen as a word with a high level of inappropriateness, but every time someone uses it in chat, people start to argue about it. Then we have more players start to use it because of people rationalizing its use because of the rules page. If I was a father, and my young kid started using the s word more frequently because "people online said it's not a bad word", I can guarantee you that I would not be comfortable with that at all.
    SoulPunisher and 607 like this.
  10. Shit is more often used as an outburst and often without realizing it. This is why it is mentioned in the do not report section. 'Ass' is rarely used without thinking. Notice where the post says that overuse of the word is still punishable. Shit, damn, and hell are all 'bad words', but they are allowable on this server in moderation due to the nature of the server being PG. All 3 of those words you could find in a PG movie. Action will still be taken if the word is abused of course.
  11. As opposed to spoken words, typed words do not just slip out of your fingers unless you are using a speech to text application or have some sort of Tourettes. The only time I have been banned, I deliberately typed something I should not have because I let my anger override my reason. At that point PG ratings went out the door.

I just have a different opinion about it. I realize not everyone can manage the same level of restraint and that even these rules are subject to your judgement. This thread and the others you have posted recently were a good idea to help all the new players and to refresh/clarify policy for the old players.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  12. Actually they do slip out. A lot of members (myself included) type faster than we can think sometimes. How else would I make terrible grammar mistakes in chat?
  13. Comparing grammar mistakes to word usage isn't exactly fair. Grammar mistakes are more of being uncoordinated physically, picking words is purely purposeful.
    607 likes this.
  14. Personally, I only report people out of habit from being a staff member on other servers (besides EMC) when they let nodus commands slip into chat, either by trolling or intent, so that they can be investigated.. As well as when they advertise other servers (besides EMC) in chat.. Normally, I don't otherwise report people because normally they can be reasoned with to let them know what they are doing is wrong without going mini-mod on them, and if that doesn't work there is the report.. :(
    krysyyjane9191 likes this.
  15. I know this may seem nitpicky, but people get onto others for capitalizing the first letter of a sentence. Can this be added to the DON'T rule? It's a bit annoying for people to constantly tell you not to use caps when all you did was follow usual sentence form and use a capital.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  16. :O... Why are capitalizing the letter 'i' when you use it by itself.. No one does that.. Ima report you for capital i.. :D
    jkjkjk182 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. I haven't seen any reports come across on that... :confused: This guide is for reports, but maybe I'll make one on server etiquette as well if needed.
  18. Sorry, I had a brain fart and I forgot this was reports. They say this in town chat and It honestly wouldn't surprise me if people get reported for it. Maybe server etiquette would help :)
    autumnrain26 likes this.
  19. What if someone posts the same message more than once, several times a day and week, and when ask then to please watch the spam, they still do it?
  20. Tell them to cut that shit out or you'll report them.