Test your EMC economy expertise!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Nov 15, 2016.

?

What will be worth more in (approx.) 2 months time?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2017.
Shulker box 45 vote(s) 51.7%
Totem of Undying 41 vote(s) 47.1%
Other (warning: you won't be entering the competition!) 1 vote(s) 1.1%
  1. -=> This mini-event has finished, please see Aya's further below (page 3 I think) <=-

Hi gang!

Warning: votes are public. That's done for a reason, read on. Also: this is obviously meant for fun and should not be taken too seriously.

1.11 is upon us and this means that we'll soon be able to welcome Llama's, Illagers, Husks, Strays and Vexes. On second thought: that's a lot of hostile mobs :eek: But we're also going to be getting new items, and 2 of them are somewhat special.

So my question to you: which do you think is going to be worth more (more expensive to buy)?

Totem of Undying

The totem of undying is a drop from the Evoker, which can be found in the woodland mansion. If you hold it in your hand (main or offhand) while taking a fatal blow then the totem will activate (it gets used up). It will nudge your health up to half an heart, clear all your effects and then gives you Absorption II for 5 seconds and Regeneration II for 40 seconds.

If you're about to die then this might just stop it from happening.

Pro's / Con's

Not easy to get, a woodland mansion can be quite far away. Also: Evokers don't respawn, which will make these also harder to get. And when using you need to have them equipped. And well... keeping a shield handy instead of this totem might just as well safe your life even better (in 1.11 shields block creeper explosions for 100%, and burning zombies also won't set you on fire anymore).

Shulker box

The shulker box is something you have to make by combining a (single) chest with 2 shulker shells. These are rare drops which you can get from killing a shulker; mobs found in End cities. Like the Evoker shulkers do not respawn which makes shells harder to get. However.. Using a looting sword is a good way to increase your chances.

The shulker box itself excels at transporting items: it will contain it's items when it's dropped, and this means that you can transport one whole (single) chest using 1 inventory slot.

Pro's / Con's

Although End cities generate more often than woodland mansions (educated guess on my part!) they are also easier to miss. After all: maps don't normally work in the End (thanks for the correction Evesthery!), structures aren't shown and if you don't thoroughly explore the End island you're on then you could easily miss one while building the next bridge. Using the shulker box seems like a no brainer, but they have their limitations. Unlike regular chests you can't stack them (sort off: you could place them sideways to a wall).

Can you imagine falling in lava while you're carrying 3 full shulker boxes with you? That's going to hurt even worse than ever before! :D

Which one do you think is going to be worth more?

Maybe something to consider: I think the demand for the shulker boxes will be higher than that for the totem. However, they're probably also going to become available in larger numbers. I haven't made up my mind about this, but I think the chances of finding either of these are 50/50 in general, though my estimate lies on 30/70 in favor for the shulker boxes (actually: shulker shells).

Mini-event!

(this was Aya's idea ;) ) => The poll will run for 2,5 months, and will be bumped occasionally. When all goes as planned we should be well on our way with enjoying 1.11 when it ends. After the poll ends Aya will check the votes, and she will draw a random winner from those who voted for the item which is the most expensive at that time * The lucky winner will then obviously win a prize. What prize? A good one ** :)

Disclaimers

* Obviously we'll be keeping close eye on all the servers, especially SMP8, before we come up with a price average. We'll be using average / estimate prices because in many cases the price for an item can vary between servers. So say you'd pay 75k for a totem on SMP2, 60k on SMP4 and 50k on SMP8 then the average price would be: (75 + 60 + 50) / 3 = 61,6k

** I can't tell yet what the prize is because the thing I have in mind doesn't exist on the Empire right now. And it also remains to be seen if we can actually manage to obtain what we want to give away. But even if that would horribly fail then rest assured that it's going to be a good prize. When all else fails it'll be a vault voucher + a pot of gold, but I am aiming for something a little different ;)

Good luck!
  2. Good Memes will gain more value in 2 months I'm sure. Always saving up on them good memes.
  3. Hm... that's a tough one! Interesting question, though!
    But I do think waiting a while before voting on the poll is likely to give you an advantage.
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  4. I feel as if the Totem has a good chance to be quite expensive. A hard to get item from a hard to kill monster in a hard to find place, I can smell the money already. Saying last time I checked they only got a 1 time use, people will need to buy another if they need one again.

Shulker Boxes are useful, I may need to grab one for when I go on an adventure. It's extremely useful and I think they may sell like hotcakes for the first few days, then have their prices lowerd before the Totem.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and nuclearbobomb like this.
  5. Shulker box will start at 10k, then 4k, and stay at 1900r

Totem will begin at >22k and end around 12k
  6. I personally think you should add 20K or more to all your numbers...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Have you tried hunting for shulker boxes ib SP? They are super easy to get. And if now that mojang added portals everywhere you can bring your echest + inventory full of them in boxes.

Maybe the totemm will at first be at 60k, but for people to sell them, theyll lower prices overtime cause noone wants a better health potion for 60k
  8. Ok, I see what you are saying here.... perhaps a little higher than your original numbers, though time will tell what they turn out to be.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. If they didnt you would be invincible.
  10. The totem will be worth more since its obviously harder to get. The shulker box is way cooler though and much more useful.
    Equinox_Boss, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  11. Totem won't be much money, sure it's a semi-rare item but the use of it is MEH at best. Established players who would shell out large amounts of money for items to be used most likely are at a point on EMC where they don't die much, if at all anymore. Hard to price it exactly but I don't see it being a good investment of time to find a mansion, kill the boss and try to sell it. Maybe for the first week or two people might be interested in them since it's the new cool thing on the market but don't expect it to have any sort of long-term value like beacons have had. (been out for almost 4 years still valuable)

Shulker box is what hardcore / long-term members have been waiting YEARS for. An item much overdo, the ability to transport large amounts of items will flip the game on it's head. It may not be the hardest item to get as traversing the End and killing shulkers is fairly easy, but the functionality of the item is top tier. Like every update, this item will be high demand the first few days/weeks, but I can see this item always being in demand because of how great it is.
  12. But... but... maps do work in the end!!!!!!! It's another 1.11 thing!! Oh, ShelLuser. So unknowing of the best feature ever...
  13. I say in the long run a Totem will be worth more. But here at the start Shulker boxes may lead the way.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. Yeah, that's what I thought too... :p

I do agree that the Shulker Boxes are way more useful.
    That makes me think, what do Dragon Heads go for? They aren't useful at all and are as hard to get as Elytra, so I wonder how their prices compare to each other.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. Dragon heads are dropped each time you spawn an ender dragon. They aren't hard to get at all.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and samsimx like this.
  16. Ah, okay, thanks!
    Equinox_Boss and kaptrix like this.
  17. I stand corrected! :oops: Yeah, I totally overlooked this feature, thanks for mentioning it! :)

Now I finally know where to go to :D

Good question! Some shops still sell this for 40 - 50k while there are also some which lowered their prices to around 30k (I seem to remember seeing this). I don't actively keep track of this though because I don't really care too much about these heads myself :)
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and Evesthery like this.
  18. i can promise you XD i will slime block pilot myself right into a end city XD
  19. crud, im i allowed 2 vote? lol, i just did ^.^

i think the totem is gonna be most expensive b/c its gonna be rare & not many ppl will want 2 buy. and why do i always have 2 do the work with drawing a winner :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  20. Huh, that doesn't seem logical to me... did you make a mistake typing it out, or do I not get your idea? :)
    It seems odd that it will be expensive because not many people want to buy it.
    Equinox_Boss, ShelLuser and Tuqueque like this.