Super Turkey Hunting!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Slvr, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Hello, all! It’s that time of the year again where we give a massive thank-you to everything we are grateful for, and the Super Turkeys are out yet again, too. I wanted to share some tips and information I’ve come to notice from tracking and hunting these, erm, lovely birds, and would like to spread the information in a condensed post for all to see.

What’s a Super Turkey?
    Firstly, Super Turkeys are extremely fast chickens renamed with ‘Super Turkey. The name can be seen through blocks up to four chunks away. Super Turkeys often spawn in place of Chicken Jockeys - a baby zombie (or baby zombie pigman) riding a chicken - which means they are very rare, and that they spawn in light levels of nine or less.

To begin your adventure, you’ll want the correct gear. Super Turkeys don’t harm you, but the areas you generally find them in are dark, and so are usually mob-infested. You’ll want armor, preferably iron or better (as many of your excursions will lead you to the depths of caves in the Overworld (more on this later), and in the Nether, you always want iron armor or better anyway). An exception to this, I’d think, is Voter’s Armor, as it is usually sufficient in these situations due to its Unbreakable status.

You’ll want a very, very good sword, too. Preferably, a Voter’s Sword. If you don’t have a Voter’s Sword, then you’ll probably want many, many iron swords. Please don’t even attempt to take a ton of wood with you and kill one with wooden swords - you will be there for a very, very long time.

2016 Super Turkeys have 1024 health, or 512 hearts. An unenchanted iron sword has 231 durability, meaning you’d need 3 unenchanted iron swords alone to kill them. With Unbreaking III, you might only need two, and if you apply the Sharpness V enchantment, you might only need one. However, my recommendation is that you invest in a diamond sword with Sharpness V, Unbreaking III, to hunt Super Turkeys. When your sword’s durability is low, you can hit up SMP8’s Pigmentus to repair it and get gold on the way!

(Additionally - if you find a Super Turkey without having gotten the Gobble, Gobble spawn message, you may have potentially ran into an older turkey from 2014 or 2015. These turkeys have 2048 health - or 1024 hearts, and therefore are much more difficult to kill than their 2016 brethren).

Finding a Super Turkey
    Now, finding these evil birds. You may happen accross a pre-spawned turkey, or have one spawn on you. If one spawns on you, in large, orange text on your screen the words Gobble, gobble… will appear (if you have this option turned off however it’ll still appear in your chatbox). Additionally, if one spawns for you, it can only spawn within 16 Y levels of you. Meaning if you are on the surface, the turkey is likely on the surface unless there is a cave close to the surface.

The method of finding both is the same, though, as I said above, note that a pre-spawned turkey may be an old one from last year (and may have more health). Do also note however that the wastelands have reset since last year, so you’ll only have the chance of finding an old turkey with 2048 health in the frontier worlds.

If you find a turkey (you will get a message above your hotbar saying you hear gobbling X chunks away [Y]), you may kill it ONLY if it is clear no other player has “claimed” it. A “claimed” turkey may have a build surrounding it, be glassed off, or otherwise in a player-made hole. If it’s clear another player has captured it, please do not touch it. I emphasize this because many players do have "pet" Super Turkeys. I myself have one! Anyway, you may find a turkey be listening to the message that appears above your hotbar.

X in the example I used represents how many chunks away the Super Turkey is from your location. A chunk is a 16x16 meter (or block) cube that extends from bedrock to build height. If you’re using 1.10 or 1.11, you can press f3+G (cmmd+g for Mac users I believe) to see chunk borders. Y in the example I used is that Super Turkey’s ID - meaning that if there are multiple turkeys around you, you will want to use the Y number to hunt down just one and differentiate what gobble is coming from what turkey.

When you get a message telling you how far a Super Turkey is away from you, you’ll want to turn on chunk borders and then pick a direction. You will want to walk a minimum of two chunks, because sometimes the same turkey may move between chunk borders. If the number is greater, go back to where you started and choose another direction. If it’s lesser, congratulations, you’re nearing your turkey!

Rinse and repeat until the X number reaches zero, and then begin to dig down (if you don’t see the Super Turkey around you).

Most Super Turkeys spawn underground in labyrinths of caves because the majority of dark places in Minecraft are underground. The surface is only dark half of the time, and even then, it can be lit up or have blocks that can’t spawn blocks. Meanwhile, caves underground are always dark, and all of the naturally-generating blocks below can still spawn mobs (save for a few, such as rails and torches).

To find your turkey, please do not dig straight down, and do not leave a deathtrap for other players. This is also a good reason you SHOULD NOT hunt Super Turkeys in the Frontier worlds (unless, of course, you have a base you’d like to hunt them at). Another reason not to hunt Super Turkeys in the frontier worlds is because you have the potential to run into an old turkey, which has 50% more health than 2016 turkeys, and therefore takes much longer to kill.

If you aren’t at your own base, you’re simply destroying public land that someone could hurt themselves in, or cause headaches for others. It’s destructive to the permanent landscape of your SMP’s frontier, and will make the landscape even uglier than it may already be, and can even be dangerous for those trying to travel if there are pits everywhere. So please, coming from me, use the Wastelands for Super Turkey (and Blizz Ard) hunting. Or if you happen to run across one, please make the hole or area you dug safe once you are finished. This can be as simple as filling the hole you dug in with dirt.

Back to finding your Super Turkey! Dig down, preferably in a spiral, and be careful such that you don’t fall into a deep cave or lava. You’ll want to bring torches. And now you have the fun part of exploring the cave system. Typically, if you are in a range such that the turkey is 0 chunks away, then you’ll be able to hear it in the cave system it’s stuck in (considering you land in the correct cave system first - you may need to continue digging down, as there could be more caves below the first one you find).
  2. Capturing and Killing a Super Turkey
    Once you find your turkey, you’ll want to get it into a closed space. This may be done by corralling it with water, or just throwing some blocks down. You may also opt to take Leads, as Super Turkeys can be lead, and tie them to a fence while you put blocks around them to keep them in a pit. You will want to make sure this space you corral them into has a top as well, because as you smack the turkey, it may get knocked upward from your sword.

With your Super Turkey caught, begin to whack away! If you’re lucky, you’ll get the sweet Turkey Slicer, and probably many other goodies, too! Such as Cooked Turkey, diamonds, and loads of feathers.

Player difficulty does not affect drops, because Super Turkeys do not damage the player. I recommend a player difficulty of six for any trip into the wilderness, because it prevents minibosses from immediately attacking you and allows special drops without making mobs or gameplay too difficult. Seven is a similar caliber, but minibosses will summon you to them and begin to battle you unprovoked, and skeletons get a massive Punch boost. Note that you DO NOT need enraged spawns on to spawn Super Turkeys (you may not need miniboss spawns on either, however I need to doublecheck this).

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone! Keep a lookout for those turkeys and Feast Chests!
  3. This is good advice. When the "gobble gobble" message appears for me, I dig down (not straight down) to level 11 since they typically spawn in caves. I choose 11 since diamonds often occur here and I dig in each direction until I'm closer. May as well come across diamonds while looking for it lol.
    khixan and Slvr like this.
  4. Ah, that is a good idea! To mine down first and then explore from there. Brings a new challenge to it with the excitement of potential diamonds...
  5. Protip, turkeys can only spawn within 16 y levels of you, so if you're alone and on the surface, don't bother digging down.
  6. Is that new? Last year, at my frontier base, I would be running around on the surface and would always find them in caves or ravines below the island, at least 32 Y levels below the surface. Either way, I'll go ahead and edit OP for this.
  7. I think this is new.
  8. Are you sure? I had the gobble gobble pop up yesterday and I was on the surface but found the turkey at the bottom of a ravine. I guess it could've been an already spawned turkey.
    khixan likes this.
  9. This was from the thread last year, but as far as I know, it hasn't been changed.
    ShelLuser, khixan and kaptrix like this.
  10. It may SPAWN only 16 Y difference, but that sure doesn't mean it stays within that. Turkeys are perfectly happy to go flapping downwards if they can.

They will also almost always try to wind up in lava. Or maybe those are only my Turkeys. True story.
    ShelLuser and kaptrix like this.
  11. This is because of the way they run around. They end up in lava and then take a very long time to get back out - resulting in them staying in lava generally.
    khixan likes this.
  12. Nah, conspiracies. We all know that the lava is nice and warm for them. And they also can't stop laughing at the thought of new(er) players coming after them in the lava and then seeing their turkey spicer get burned up by said lava.

Chickens are evil, mkay? ;)
    Slvr likes this.
  13. ^^ Shell is channeling me there LOL
  14. This isn't THAT big of a deal since your consistently posted the exact health of the older versions but 50% more of the new ones would only be about 768 HP as 50% of the old one's 512 hp is 256 so 512 plus 50% of 512 (256) is 768 the correct answer would be 100% more health than 2016 turkeys (which equals 1024). :p Otherwise impressive article and got me thinking about some things I didn't even notice about them, thanks for the good read. :)

Quick Calculation: 512[Hearts] + 50% (256[Hearts]) = 768[Hearts] | 512[Hearts] + 100% (512[Hearts]) = 1024[Hearts]
  15. I don't do math. Which is further noted by the fact that my brain began to explode with the numbers that came up. I'll just edit the post, rofl.

EDIT: I'm... not sure I follow you.

2048*0.50 = 1024. 2048-1024= 1024.
    2048 being the original health of Super Turkeys, and 0.50 being the percentage in decimal form to get 50% of the original number. If they have 50% less health, then that means 2048 (original health) - 1024 (50% of original health) = 1024, which is the new Super Turkey's health.

To double check this I'll run damage indicators in-game to check, because I cannot do math and probably just spewed all kinds of nonsense.
  16. Using a calculator I can add 512 by 50% to get 768, but if I add 512 by 100% I get 1024.

EDIT: Also note I was specifying by hearts not health.
  17. And I was specifying by health. 1024 health is 512 hearts. 2048 health is 1024 hearts. 50% of 1024 hearts is 512 hearts, placing new super turkeys at 512 hearts.

Not sure why you're adding 50% to 512... And math in general confuses me, lol.