[ SUGGESTION ] Teleporting in Wild

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Hoi, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Would youn like this to be added to EMC?

Yes 18 vote(s) 26.1%
No 31 vote(s) 44.9%
Maybe 20 vote(s) 29.0%
  1. You did it an easy way, I was thinking just like a nether portal, which would be:

B - B - B - B
    B - P - P - B
    B - P - P - B
    B - P - P - B
    B - B - B - B

That would increase the cost from 9 beacons to 14 beacons, which I believe would be in the range of 220,000r? Secondly, something I forgot to mention in the original suggestion: if you wish to take down your portal and make another, your beacons used to make the first portal would be completely destroyed. This way, you get unlimited uses from one teleport, but to move it to another location, you've got to sink another 220k (or a lot of wither skeleton hunting) to establish a new one (note: *not* a second, but a replacement for the first).

Also, I was thinking today about the shared-portal issue ... I came up with two thoughts.

1) Be able to add access abilities to a portal for others to use -- "using" would entail right-clicking on part of the portal to set it as an active portal for you (but again, only with permission). Doing this, however, would offset the potential limitation of one-portal-per-person. So, perhaps, if you change your active portal, the previous one would be completely destroyed, yielding no items.

2) Charge a fee of 7 beacons (or an equivalent # of rupees, though using beacons may add to the challenge) to a player who wishes to be registered on another's portal. Subsequently, if someone wants to change the portal location, both players must be within 16 blocks of the portal-to-be-destroyed, as well as type in a confirmation command to destroy. Again, neither player would get any items back.

Someone mentioned money sinks. I think this would work in that fashion as well -- when someone switched a portal, it would essentially remove the value of all those beacons from the economy.
  2. That's why I say that as long as it doesn't effect me, and no one is at an advantage/disadvtange except saving time, I have no issue with it. If I want the challenge, I won't use it. :)
  3. I don't like it. It will take away the hardness of the wild, and the wild could be more easily destroyed, as mega mall owners could walk out, dig a bunch of big holes, and then teleport back to town.
  4. Not really, because
    - the wild is huge, it is -> immense, there is space for hundreds of millions of players, it is far, far more than enough. Our problem is how to reach it.
    - with the special portal, you could more easily reach the untouched wilderness that you're looking for
    - you still need to walk out, you can not just teleport there
    - mega mall owners are busy enough with their malls, they don't have time to mine a lot themselves
    - the new -> "Wastelands" will unfortunately make mining in the current wilderness an inferior option anyway

Yes, I know, but it would be too expensive.
    The cost should be balanced, so that
    - it is a luxury for experienced players (because they already know how to and can travel efficiently),
    - but also not too expensive, so that intermediate players can profit from it.
    - New players still need to learn and master the game first, they need to collect resources or (otherwise) earn rupees before they can afford it.

Looking at -> that calculation, I think initial cost of about 20k-30k and per relocation cost of 10k would be adequate.
    Possible solution: (Beacon, Obsidian, Portal, Sponge)
    BOOB
    OPPO
    OPPO
    OSSO
    With S disappearing on destruction and costing 5k in the /shop.

In order not to change the vanilla mechanics (too much)
    I suggested to use sponge S for the part that gets used up.

I don't think it is necessary to control use permissions, because the portal is usually far away and you can hide it, perhaps even put it behind anti-griefing structure (obsidian with "removing=griefing" signs) and locked doors.

If players are sharing a portal, they are also sharing the land around it, they are already sharing the value of the portal, so there is no need to increase cost.

Money (rupees) sink, not materials sink. We have the problem that there is too much money there and not much to buy for it, so destroying stuff would make it worse.

PS (off topic here): Amount of rupees is increasing daily at a high rate through free daily rupees and voting bonus. This excessive increase in amount of currency is called -> hyperinflation. It occurs when there is a continuing (and often accelerating) rapid increase in the amount of money that is not supported by a corresponding growth in the output of goods and services. You can also check this -> scenarios and related postings (warning: still a current issue, but a rather old thread). EMC staff is pretty much aware of this problem and has adjusted /shop prices recently.
  5. Good call... apparently wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote that. Was thinking the money was going 'somewhere' and the things bought were being destroyed, but unless the money went to the shop, then yea... it would still be in the economy. :slap self:

;)
  6. For 1: 1 I still say that the teleporter would vanish after use, and each player could only use it like 3 or 5 times, and then they wouldnt be able to buy, or place a sponge, and, if using the beacon method, you couldnt light it after that.
    Secondly: 2 Whats with all the color coding? What, is this science class?

"Then, during the 2nd step Meiosis, chromosome 1 from chromosome pair 1 would go to the first cell, and chromosome 2 would go to the second cell, then chromosome 1 from chromosome pair 2 would go to the third cell, and, lastly, chromosome 2 would go to the fourth cell. etc, etc, ETC!"
  7. Ok, for 1, it should be that expensive, so that nobody wants to use it unless theyre like crazy, so nobody really gets a cheat cheat thats in anyway worth the money.

Secondly, I would come up with a new symbol for the beacon, or a new symbol for obsidian, otherwise, change the to line of you demonstration
  8. If it would be a crazy thing for some crazy people it would be of no reasonable use, so it would not be worth the effort. (?)
  9. Meh, i say its simply making emc too easy and so it should only be used be crazy people with crazy amounts of money XD