[Suggestion] Take action to increase the rate at which updates come out

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Extendingskys, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Consider this the continuation of a mess I kind of created on someone else's thread. Sorry!

TL;DR I think that EMC needs to find a way to get more developers on board, an opinion shared by Willies, and krysyy says that finding trustworthy developers is very difficult.
    Joy_the_Miner and Kryarias like this.
  2. Then do what they do with staff. Have devs in training with a experianced dev over them to teach them the ropes of coding
  3. A lot of krysyy's concerns were also with the fact that devs also have to act as staff in the same regard as moderators. If they removed that then I think what you're saying would totally be valid. Also, since you can make commits to git as much as you'd like, they can pick and choose what code they like and don't like and only merge the commits that they like.
  4. This raises a question... what if the new developer in question is already well-versed in development? :confused:
  5. Then they won't stay in training long it would also allay Krysyy's fears that they need to find people who agree with them
  6. Current requirements to be a dev:
    • Experience in coding
    • 18+
    • Live in USA
    • Pass behavioral check (same as Mods)
    If you think you meet the requirements to be a dev, PLEASE APPLY!
    However, this is not for Aikar to have to teach you everything from the ground up. You need to have a good basis to start with.
    On that note: More devs isn't ALWAYS the problem. Right now it's the fact that each step we take has to be predated by a different step. Willies' work for example allows us to take a next step. And a lot of these later steps require Aikar because he has to verify, fix, and push the code (he's the only one with access for major reasons that won't change).

Meanwhile, someone needs to tell Microsoft to cool it with the complexity and unstable releases...
  7. Well, and that is where the real fallacy comes in. I simply don't understand why the developers have to be staff, and why they can't do a better job of incorporating people like willies. Someone like me I can understand, I haven't actually proven myself to them and am a wild card who needs to be approved and tested. But Willies already has shown his skill, it's very obvious he's either a professional software engineer or very skilled. From what I understand, it's not that he's developing on the team without a title, he just took it of his own will to update empirecraft to 1.14. Why not do a better job of incorporating him though?

Since we are no longer on someone else's goodbye thread, I will speak to my own personal experience in the process here a little more. I was told to contact aikar to apply by one of the devs who is no longer on the team. Aikar then told me I had to be a staff member first, but to get practice using PaperMC and join the discords. I did, I set up a play server for myself, wrote some code using the paper API, and then.... nothing. Never heard back on the staff app, so denied, and never had anything to do with the practice I did. There was simply nowhere for me to go to be more of use. The remainder of the EMC server is top secret, so I cant help with anything in that regard. I don't care about the fancy blue name or any of that, just give me the key to the github and add me to the slack, tracker, and wherever we test the changes, and I'd gladly get to work.
    My suspicion is that the dev team setup currently just pushes changes to a master, or maybe to a single test fork, and that's why they're so cautious of bad code. However, his is literally what forks are for: let me stand up a fork for my changes, and then make pull requests. There's no mandatory trusting of my code, and I can go ham without ruining a thing. Titleless devs with this setup is the solution IMO. I imagine willies would probably approve of this as well.
    Lukas3226, Kryarias and 607 like this.
  8. Unless I'm mistaken, the dev app is just the staff app, correct? My previous statements on this still stand: the rate at which we accepting mods is like 2 per year, right? The chance of someone being in that 2 per year, and willing to be a dev seems slim to none, which is backed up by the fact that the most recent dev joined the team almost 2 years ago.
    HazardousCode, Kryarias and 607 like this.
  9. The amount of staff we add is not based on a set number or need for staff. It's set based off receiving applications that we believe fit what we want our staff to be. So that 2 a year could be 20 if the applicants were good. Frankly put though, quite a few applicants simply aren't up to snuff.

As stated before though, work is being put into a way to have devs that don't meet that criteria completely. Though if the player still fails some major points of analysis, the access to private development info just isn't going to happen.
    __Devil_, Kryarias, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Maybe for the staff problem go check out my suggestion in the recent thread box maybe adding that will help get more staff
    Kryarias likes this.
  11. been mostly just watching up til now but i decided it was time to put my thoughts out here,

this first thing applys to both Dev and Mod, As has been said in this discussion, EMC is Smaller than it used to be, which means less resources,

so 2 things, one is i think EMC has to lower their expectations a bit, i think EMC is spending to much time trying to find perfect Devs and mods, but the reality is no one is perfect, ive met alot of great people on EMC who have applied for one of the EMC teams but never heard back, people who would have been amazing staff/devs/team members, but no one was willing to take a chance on them, and eventually they got tired of trying and trying and getting no where, so they moved on, and EMC missed out.

i know taking chances on people will result in some people getting through that shouldn't, but im confident that during their training 9/10 people who shouldn't have gotten through would be weeded out, so even if 1/10 people who make it to training shouldn't have and 9/10 of those people are weeded out during training... that means only 99/100 would be good or better...

as for just general updates, EMC custom features i believe are a good chunk of what the delay in 1.14 is, making them compatible with the update, ive said this before that i believe we should update to 1.14 with some of the custom features disabled and re enable them as there ready for 1.14, because if you think about it we have had alot of time to use the custom features and will most certainly be more interested in 1.14,

might have more to say soon
    Kryarias and Extendingskys like this.
  12. Interesting points. I do think that EMC should be reluctant in adding new developers, as there are probably responsibilities to be taken into account and besides, I see a possibility of many developers, especially younger ones, being much less skilled and knowledgeable than they think themselves to be, and not end up being able to contribute significantly.
    But I can also well imagine that there are more potential devs active on EMC, or willing to get more active on EMC for a project like this one, and certainly, the more work that gets done on the 1.14 and 1.13 updates, the better.

I will read the goodbye thread you linked later, it is quite long already.
    Zbid and Kryarias like this.
  13. I have seen servers or other groups hire bad people in positions that they shouldn't be in, and cause a lot of damage. So I fully understand the caution that they have, because that 1/100 can really do bad things. However, I think that many people I know have really distinguished themselves in the community and are deserving of positions that they have been denied, so you are correct that the standards may be too high. At the very least, the related thread about finding out why you aren't accepted may provide some helpful insight into this issue.
    I know that when I do stuff like this it puts grey hairs on krysyy's head, so I'm gonna chill now before she starts pulling them out. I think I've made all my points, and whether or not something changes is out of my hands now. I hope that she and other know that I'm not trying to be critical of the way things are done to be malicious to the staff, but rather out of genuine concern for the community that I've loved for almost 8 years now.
    Joy_the_Miner, Kryarias and 607 like this.
  14. Your numbers seem pretty arbitrary but that's fine, I get the point. However, I am afraid that something else that might be worthy of consideration is that some players could be devastated if they first got invited to staff, and then told they weren't good enough in training. This might be a learning experience and maybe the image of training could be changed to alleviate this a little, but precisely some of the people that might have potential but do not get invited as it is now, are likely people that would find it hard to bear such a disappointment (mostly young players, quite probably, which I think we still have a good few of, despite EMC or even Java edition not being popular for newcomers to Minecraft anymore).
    Zbid, Kryarias and Extendingskys like this.
  15. yea just an example, no real data in the numbers :p
    Kryarias, Extendingskys and 607 like this.
  16. Oh man, with all of EMC Krysyy must be getting grey so quickly. :rolleyes:
    But wow, what a good paragraph! An attitude to learn from.
    Kryarias and Extendingskys like this.
  17. Soon, 1.15 will be out, and EMC will look more out-of-date than it currently does. I hope something is done, otherwise, EMC will be nothing but a memory, still stuck on 1.12.2... :\
  18. Question. I don't know if anyone has asked this or not:

Since the complicated update isn't working.... Could EMC just stay at 1.12.2 and add kelp, dolphins, turtles, seaweed, phantoms (okay and the Drowned, if you must....) as custom mobs. Like the Killer Rabbits and Netherhounds ??

The rest of the game code stays and they add the mobs.
    Kryarias likes this.
  19. No. ;)

Note that Killer Rabbits and Netherhounds don't actually add content to the game: they reuse what's already in there, namely rabbits and wolves. There's nothing remotely close to the dolphin or the turtle in 1.12.
  20. What 607 said.
    Kryarias likes this.