(SUGGESTION) new /maphide feature

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Mrlegitislegit, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Like I stated in the "Live map in the end" thread or whatever, if someone is really determined, they can find you with or without map hide. When I had supporter, that was the only thing I liked about it was being able to map hide. I have actually had someone hunt me down whether I was map hidden or not. I remember being in the end, and someone was PMing me the entire time, I turned around and he was standing right there in my face yet I was hidden. No matter where I went he would pop up in my face, when we had just been PMing me and he was hidden in his base.
    Other than that, I've not had any issues other than those who join the wild out post and then grief or because the outpost is too close to spawn.
  2. Do you think it would be possible to have a toggle-able feature like with chat?
    /map local
    /map full
    (Supporter Only)
    /map hide
    /map show
    But basically have a /map full so if you need someone to find you long distance, you can?
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  3. I have no idea what kind of restrictions may or may not apply to the creation of the the new live map and it's features, my programming knowledge is very limited in this respect. I imagine a discussion will take place leading up to its implementation that will allow for community input. :)
    southpark347 likes this.
  4. This topic has been discussed many times through EMC history, there is a number of threads about it.
    There is no doubt:
    forcibly exposing non-supporters on the live map means exposing them to stalking and grieving.
    As melody writes, this is by far the worst feature of EMC. :(

What I can't really understand, is how people can call hiding from the live map a feature? :eek:

If this would mean in the foreseeable future, and not - as a staff member recently explained - "in few years or never" ...
    Why not make /map show the feature, as it is naturally a feature to use the map, not to not use it?
    Can it get any more perverse?

Move far enough out? It does NOT help. People have followed me 35k out and more. And grieved in front of my eyes. On other occasion, they hunted me using the live map and tried to kill me several times with fire and lava. I was on the verge of leaving EMC for good, and it was only due to support I've got from the community that I stayed.

You're missing the point ... unfortunately. You're misled, because you think that if you have plenty of rupees that you're doing good and that you have fair role in the economy. That's not the case :(
    Did you (this is not only to boozle628) notice that your rupees have lost around 33% of their buying power since July 2012 (prices increased around 50%)?
    Do you understand,
    * that for a good part, you've worked for nothing and you've actually sold stuff and/or services for free - as in "free rupees"?
    * that all rupees that come into this economy are "free" - and, in terms of the in-game economy, it actually means that you're giving stuff for free when you sell it for rupees, and that you can only get very little if anything at all in return?
    * that this is the main reason why prices rise so fast and why most shops are empty or have very poor business volume?
    If you call this "fair", well then I guess it's fair for you, but it's generally considered very unfair.
    southpark347 likes this.
  5. Haha, you have to have a sense of humor sometimes when it comes to comments like that. Obviously we don't have "never" has an option for our feature timeline. :p

Shaun (I believe it was) earlier already mentioned the idea for how we plan to modify it. :)
    PenguinDJ and southpark347 like this.
  6. Well, I guess someone agrees with me :D
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
  7. Ok, just read 10k words and also I think that it would be a bad idea. People spend money for this and then BAM it is practically easy to get without spending a dime out of your pocket. It will make a lot of supporters mad. AND I cant think of anything else.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  8. People spend money on what exactly? What are they buying?
    Someone will be mad if her/his playmate can not be easily stalked and grieved? Really?
    Let's think about it. Be precise please.
  9. I like the idea of a Local Show as an option rather than as a rule also. One reason is that I often use Live Map to meet with soemone or help them go somewhere. If they aren't in range and an unhide feature isn't available, we won't be able to see each other on Live Map and we would have to exchange coordinates through chat.

I quite often have had people ask me to help them navigate to places in the Wild or Nether. If I couldn't see them on Live Map this just would be pretty cumbersome. Once the change is made, I think having /show and /hide as options would be good ideas.
  10. I guess my point is that you do mot need 50000000000000 rupees to have fun on the empire. Sure, the average donor has a lot more rupees than the average non-donor, but we are in sort of a Great Depression time in the empire. It will all get better if the admins get better about pumping thousands of rupees into the system at a time, and if possible, limit the amount of rupees in the economy. The empire is just growing at such a rate that inflation is occurring. (If you have studied the Great Depression at school you'll know what the term inflation means) There are too many rupees. The value of rupees is constantly going down because of the vast amount of them.
  11. I totally agree with you.
    As for that comment, I do agree with the person ICC was replying to. You should have the /map on feature instead of /map hide.
    And that is why non supporters should get the map hide feature. Many people would donate, but some cannot afford to pay monthly fees and others' parents will not let them. You leave non supporters venerable. One time I was playing on smp9 and someone broke the block under me killing me. I was extremely far away from spawn, so I did not know how a player could have found me. I lost diamond tools I had spent hours upon hours working and waiting for, and I lost them. As I posted my last comment, I realized that that is how they found me. With the live map. Either that or they somehow had extremely far render distance) I did not report them because I knew them In real life but still. Admins should give everyone the /map hide feature.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  12. 1. many people buy supporter to hide changing it is essentially telling those people sorry you wasted your money before we decided to let everyone do it.
    2. i use live map to see where other folks are, i then look around those areas for large jungle/sand biomes and go look for temples.
    3. if you cant afford 5 dollars a month pay someone who can in rupees to gift you im sure there are some out there who will do it.
    4. continueing on three if you cant afford to pay those people in rupees then this whole thread is moot anyways.
    PenguinDJ and PandasEatRamen like this.
  13. Please note, it says for non-supporters to use it for a fee, not for free. Supporters would get it for free.
    M4nic_M1ner and boozle628 like this.
  14. yes but unless it were a ludicris amount the math simply wouldnt add up some people have been paying for years now, suddenly people are able to pay 10k or whatever a month? unless it was something like 100k none of the supporters who remain will like this. and as i said three and four cover that eventuality
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  15. An easy solution to that is to tell supporters that in 3 months or so, the hide from live map feature will expire. That will let them know that they do not have to buy supporter anymore if that is the only feature they pay 5+ dollars a month for
  16. No idea how this would work, but perhaps /map optout could work as an Empire Credit thing (no Aikar, haven't forgotten about them - they still don't exist :p). So you have the supporter perk /map hide to hide from the map, but still be able to use it, and the voting perk /map optout which would hide you from the map, and hide everyone from you on it too (the map would have to be changed to support the site logins though). That way, both groups get to hide from the map, but supporters get the little bonus of still being able to use the map when hidden.

I'd say 3 votes = 24 hours of /map optout would be fair enough.

*throws idea out there*
    PenguinDJ, talukegord and mba2012 like this.
  17. If the admins are going to add empire credits and do the supporter thing, there would be no need for this conversation at all.
  18. The admins are going to add Empire Credits.
    They're probably going to have a limited, short supporter trial for a stupid amount of credits.
    Why not have an alternative, map opt-out only option?
    mba2012, PenguinDJ and boozle628 like this.
  19. so like, you can pay rupees to not use the map at all? that sounds reasonable, and has a good tradeoff i would support
  20. As seeing all the arguing/debating on this thread. I just want to say "map hide will be a supporter perk no matter what :), nuff said " lol but seriously, we don't need these logical points to make it available for non supporter . People just need to man up and pay the 5$ at minimum for iron to hide. I'm generally a nice person but I must say, I got a bit irritated by these arguments.

Rant over
    mba2012 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.