(SUGGESTION) new /maphide feature

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Mrlegitislegit, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How about the nether?
  2. lol So If I'm 27 does that make me less smart. ;)
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  3. Its not like a 100% chance of griefing if you cant /map hide at all, which is what you are making it sound like. Its super easy to not get griefed without hiding from the map, you just gotta go far enough out :/ Nobody is required to donate, and the live map isn't "forcing" anyone, to donate (although it does give an incentive to donate).
  4. Probably not 100% but at least 85%-90%.

I'm sorry but you are just incorrect. I worked with a group of people to build a large wild underground city - We eventually put one item above ground and within days we were hit by griefers. We were far out - we hid our stuff. Live map betrayed us.

Exactly what is is about live map that you find so useful you would say - heck with the 85-90% of people that can not afford it?
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  5. Pandas, sonicol1, and me had a small base to get sand and stuff out in the wild it was pretty far out we had to go through two nether portals to get to it. It was so crazy we only went when we had 0 sand and we still didnt want to go. I went recently and pretty much our buckets, important other stuff were taken. Now this isnt in the open we covered it with sand in a mountain side to hide it so its not like you can see it on live map. All i can figure is someone saw us on live map out there and went for it. I do remember some people whispering me going "Why are you all the way out there?"

Ill be serious even i look around on the live map at peoples bases and stuff out in the wild, I only look for bases so when i decide where i want to go i can be a hobo and stay there when its dark and maybe find their farm to either borrow some food and plant it back and to sleep there. If i do take anything though i try to leave a sign with my name telling them.
    M4nic_M1ner and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. I have a base with 5 non-supporters one of the servers, this base is within 1k of spawn, we've had it for over a month, and there's a giant building above, still has never been griefed. Its not nearly as terrible as you make it sound.

Just a random note, I dont think I have ever agreed with anything I've seen you post on here....lol (not meant to be rude)
    jrm531 and IcecreamCow like this.
  7. I think popularity is a major factor. If you are somewhat chatty in town, or are rumored to have a great res, it would make sense that people think to look for you.
  8. I duno - Ive never been chatty in town and I think most people think I'm a witch. lol They still found me more than I care to count. Even as a supporter.
    Edit: Although I should mention I've always worked with non supporters in my groups as well.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  9. [Suggestion within suggestion thread] How About This:

You need to be logged in on your account so see you 'and only you' on the livemap ... everyone else is pre-hid ... and only way you can see someone else is if they use a command like:
    /map show all
    /map hide all
    /map show (player name)
    /map hide (player name)
    /map remove (player name)
    /map show list
    /map hide list

/map show all and /map hide all is basically like what is already in place, it lets everyone on the server see you or not see you on the livemap

/map show player / map hide player .... is like the pset command it only lets the people you type be able to see or not see you separately from everyone else ...

/map remove ... removes the player from their current map setting and gives them the default of what you have set whether it be show or hide.

and to see who you have /map hid or /map shown will be shown in /map show or /map hide list

I think perhaps everyone should be given the /map show all and /map hide all ... where as the rest are supporter only
    M4nic_M1ner and stormboy231 like this.
  10. Did you just add thos flags or later on?
  11. He said it's a suggestion, it's not implemented.
  12. Will I love his idea
  13. Something along those lines, final details are still to be worked out I believe. :)
  14. It was actually one of the non-supporters that were playing with us, but I'd never hold that against him. Up to that point we had been careful not to make changes that could be seen. Once we were "found" we just gave up trying to hide our structures.

Something I don't like about a Local Live Map is that I often watch Live Map during the day. Not to look for places to grief of course, but so I can log in a be there when an unknown shows up. In the way I use it it's like a two edged sword. They can see some of us but we can also see them. The change would mean I would have to stay logged in to the area I wanted to watch.
    talukegord likes this.
  15. Shaun Maybe you can help us with this

Can we later on have none sopporters pay like 20k monthly to hide on live map?
  16. I think it is a safe bet to say that /map hide will likely remain a supporter only feature for the foreseeable future.

If each player can only see other players in their local area, then griefers will not have the ability to see far out locations, so essentially you are hidden from them. This will almost do away with the actual need for a /livemap perk, but supporters would still have that ability to hide them from local map as well. :)

For added security the wild land claiming ability will prevent griefers from being able modify anything in your outpost, so who cares if they eventually find it. This will be available to supporters and non-supporters, but it certainly won't be cheap, all good things are worth fighting for. :p
    jrm531, PenguinDJ, jkjkjk182 and 2 others like this.
  17. You may be the best person I've ever seen at spouting incorrect knowledge as fact without even blinking, haha. I understand you're frustrated that you were griefed. Hell, even I was griefed a few times AS an Admin. It happens, and it sucks and we have plans to fix it. The live map, however is used more for legitimate reasons (just based off the conversations I have with players) than it is for the few times we've heard of it being used for griefed.

It's like stories with guns. Everyone thinks guns are super horrible because the BIG stories where bad guys used a gun get major news...but you never hear about the hundreds of stories where the gun was used to protect someone or just for SAFE fun.
    jrm531, PenguinDJ, jkjkjk182 and 5 others like this.
  18. Then why are there so many posts here about live map being a problem. Brit has had problems. Pab has had problems and feels the need to stare at live map on a regular basis to make sure no one is griefing him. I have had problems. This post was made because PEOPLE have had problems.

You have got to be the best person I have ever seen at pretending problems don't exist without blinking. :)
  19. You must have missed this part ^, which just adds to my thing of you posting false statements as facts.

If people felt the need to post every time they used the live map for something good, which is more than the handful of people in this post (whose suggestions ARE legitimate, and why we're doing something about it), the forums would be filled with spam.
    margaritte, PenguinDJ and jkjkjk182 like this.
  20. I may have some problems but its no big deal i dont really care about getting my stuff greifed as much as other people "its just a game" is what i tell myself no big deal. I just hate it when people use the live map for wrongful purposes. Like i said i use it to find locations where i can stay at night to get away from mobs but i dont take anything. A lot of other people use it for that reason too, I remember going to my small wild house and someone was in it replanting my wheat because they used it for food.

The live map has many pros and cons but i think right now there are more pros.

There is always going to be problems with something because everyone can not agree on the same thing.
    PenguinDJ, Curundu, jkjkjk182 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.