[Suggestion Feedback] Shop Listings

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by chickeneer, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah. 10x10 is too large.

I would consider a variant of the sizes to be more like 8x4 though.
    In my head, I envision enough space to put signs to describe residence with a small amount of room to personalize and still have tps. Closer to a 5x4 size. I am still open minded to layout suggestions.
    607 likes this.
  2. The point is that it ensures that only active players are included in the listing. Subscription also meaning that they have to self-enroll in the system.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  3. Maybe have a sign you right click that puts detailed information about the shop in your chat (Categories in a mall)? That would eliminate the limited space signs have. Then people could just have a small description of what is in the shop is about on signs above it (Mall, enchant shop etc.), and a teleport pad below.

This would be perfect for a limited size area.
  4. Do you know about message signs? https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/feature-signs/#message
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. To stop ppl advertising a shop that no longer exists. We have a problem now with ppl using +shop or +mall and not even having 1 sell chest setup.
    ShelLuser and crystaldragon13 like this.
  6. Which ones are impossible to generate?
    1. stock of an item,
    2. price of an item,
    3. potentially a new factor such as a star- rating/review from players,
    4. last time/date someone bought from a shop from that player (shopactivity),
    5. last time/date when shopkeeper was online ingame (playeractivity),
    6. derelict yes/no.
    1&2 might be difficult, maybe you can use the 'Out of Stock' error message as an input for 1.
    For 2&4 you can use the last sale made, which is visible in the shop transactions feed.
    5 you already have that factor
    6 I explained below ;)

Actually I was making an argument completely against randomized results...
    Randomized =/= Relevant

Maybe the star rating wouldnt work. Player input is always dubious, but maybe make it binary? Was this shop helpful? yes/no. Or 'Is this shop in stock'? y/n

I think the derelict counter is counting down till 0 or goes negative, and then shows 'Derelict'. That is code already written, you can use that as a factor to decide if a shop is active, without you personally having to check and without player input. No need for a monthly check anymore, and the refresh is per hour instead.

Personally I don't see the added value of a physical directory when you have a chest interface. Instead, it comes up with more difficulties, permissions, building design, directory spots changing every month: which means manual labor for you changing spots and permissions....

Instead, improve the /v +shop to a GUI, which shows relevant results instead of randomized.

When the command is improved well enough, hardly anyone will use the physical location, so my advice would be to focus on the system/code behind it, instead of the design/layout in blocks.
    Baradar67 and jkrmnj like this.
  7. I like this general layout for Premium space, like an indoor mall with cubbyhole spaces. For general listings I'm thinking a separate area or floor for each category, with TPs lining the walls, a single sign for each. This way you could fit a large number of shops in a fairly small space.

You could also have four premium spaces at the center of each category room, like you would have booths/spaces at a convention. You could offer those spots to either highest bidder or on a first-come, first-serve basis with a waiting list and a new owner every couple of months. The shops advertised would have to fit the theme of that room (i.e. no veggie shops advertised in the premium spots in the armor & weapons room).
  8. Hmm, seems we have a fundamental difference of what this service would provide. All of your points are fair, but they don't apply to what I am proposing.

There is no concept of per item in what I have proposed.
    This system would be per residence which is not information we store.
    Possible. Not really relevant though if we are ensuring everyone is active.
    As mentioned previously. I want to design a system that ensures everyone is active and non-derelict. Therefore, we shouldn't need to give information regarding that.
    Randomization of access is good for fair access to this system. This is not in any way intended to be a per item listing. That would be more related to a potential update in the future shop system. But that is not something we have even started working on.

Sure. if we were designing an algorithm to push players towards the most popular and useful resources this would be an important system (with both positive and negatives). We aren't doing that though, we are not trying to be EMC google with this project.

This returns to where I indicated a fundamental difference in opinion on the subject of this idea. And it is just an idea at this point. I agree there is value in non-randomized results, but that is not my intent at this point.
    There actually would be no manual labor for the staff. This would all be system handled with code. The GUI counterpart would have the exact selection as the physical aspect, but less informative. Since you can only fit so much information in the lore of an item.

I will state this is just an idea I spun up last night. Far from being a fully mature and developed idea. In a desire to fill a gap I am perceiving with connecting new players to shops.
    bloodra1n, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  9. Tomorrow. I think I will try starting over with the idea (internally). In the sense that I will throw out all of the preconceived ideas I have for this feature and build from the bottom. Then, I will compare that with what I have described in this thread. See what is best for the players both new and old.
  10. They say when writing a story and deciding on a plot twist, the first few ideas you have are routine crap and useless. Your third or fourth or tenth idea is much more interesting and the one to go with.
  11. rather couldn't there be a system of shops actually getting sells (not out of stock) getting pushed up and added so that active isn't necessarily a prerequisite but you know, actually being a shop people like and go to
    bloodra1n likes this.
  12. So, on my res, I designed a Test Room...

This is what i Cam up with...

The Buttons on the lapis could have say Message Chests connected for more information. Then the Coal wall would be the portal to the Mall (For Example). It can be used Via walk in the lapis floor or click the button.

Then here are the sides from outside...

I find this would be a Good size shape to allow a Fully Custom room, but not suffocate :p

Any Thoughts?

~Finch
    607, chickeneer and MeadMaker like this.
  13. This seems like a great idea. I find that many shops don't end up being noticed much, unless they're well known by the community or heavily advertised.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  14. Why not allow shops in the space? Obviously players will never be able to fit entire malls in there, but being able to put a few popular items for sale doesn't seem like it causes any negatives. As for difficulty with traveling, that is easily solved with the gui or rails. 10x10 is a good size if these places are allowed to be functional. Otherwise, small works fine.

To put size into perspective, the player sprints at 5.6 blocks per second without any buffs on normal land. With buffs, they can get up to 7ish blocks per second. When you combine that with the jumping trick on ice, you can go almost 10 blocks per second. There likely won't be more than 100 shops at a time on any residence, so if you put half on each side and run down the middle jumping on ice, you can get to the other side in a little over 5 seconds. That means traveling to any shop in seconds. If a player is just browsing, they can step off the ice and travel across while sprinting in about 12 seconds. Still not a bad time at all. If the player intends to read every single sign and look at every shop, the distance they have to run is negligible.
  15. The concept wasn't intended to be functional. When I rebuild the idea I will consider this possibility. Probably will build 3/4 different ideas (This thread being the first one). Then evaluate which best meets our needs.
    I established some core ideas at the beginning that I may not have communicated well, and I have not budged from that core philosophy. A restart will allow me to consider certain other options.
    607 and jkrmnj like this.
  16. I hope this idea will be revised and be a priority someday because /v + shop is total garbage. Always the 10 same reses of each servers are getting drawn out.

Something like a GUI where you choose an item/type of mall in particular and then you get top malls of the selected specialty. Getting high ranking by getting votes (a command like "/res vote" while on the res) from satisfied clients.

Of course it could be reset every months and have a last month's best tab, to sink the afk shops and have a reminder that they where good even if the owner is gone.
  17. Specific concepts I want to revisit separately.
    • Similar concept, but use larger and more functional areas - allowing shops.
    • Cross server functionality; both via interface and physical.
    • A more algorithmic approach. Physical space is not needed, eliminating randomness that plagues /v +shop.
    • Treat more like an advertising spot that works similar to how paid ads work. Resetting monthly. Premium spots as well.
    • Simplify it further to allow very little individual customization. But presented cleanly in a gui.
    • Possible combination of multiple of these ideas without redundancy or extra work for the subscribing players.
    Again, the purpose of the revisit. Is that I did not consider certain alternative options when initially conceptualizing the idea. If you think there is a broad concept that I missed, mention it and I will add it to my list.
    Keep in mind I am also keeping in mind what is reasonable to be implemented. What I have proposed in this thread would be very doable in terms of whether it could be implemented. So, don't take it personally if I turn an idea down because it is too difficult. There are many factors that I am trying to take into account.
    bloodra1n, 607, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
    So how would it work if you are a few days late of the payment? Would you have to rebuild it? Also any idea how it would let you know? Ingame Mail, Forums, etc?

Also any idea on the Height Limit?
  18. As bloodra1n says, I think most ppl will use the gui once they know about it.

/shop
    But if we want something physical then it would be a few tutorial-type signs in /shop explaining how to use the gui and how to find +shops/+malls. Having now said it I can't believe this hasn't already been done. New players do find their way to /shop so it is the logical place to add it.

Directories
    In addition I would have a spot next to the gui tutorial for the +directories only. This keeps the +directories relevant and provides incentive for other players to set them up or maintain them. I didn't even know about +directory so this would be great as it creates a need for them on all SMP's and doesn't kill the existing ones.

More shop owners will want to be in those directories which makes them more interesting and possibly provide an income. A limit of 3 directories per server in /shop or (surely there would only be 1 for each at present) would be allowed which reduces the footprint compared to having a space for all shops.

/marketplace

I was against the idea of a marketplace for players to sell stuff when looking at straight advertising but in fact that idea should be expanded as it is a separate idea from the advertising site Chickeneer was first proposing. In fact, I remember there was suggestion thread about this sort of thing 2 years ago maybe?

There are already some player-owned marketplaces but the problem with them is trust about dereliction and stealing. An official /marketplace would provide a better location and the sub-res locations would purely have space for up to 8 shop chests.

The main advantage of /marketplace is giving new players a spot to stick their first few sell chests. Too many times you see new players ignoring (not knowing about) the 3 hour limit for advertising. Too many setup their shop but if they are not online or in town (because they are gathering materials) then their shop never takes off, they make no money and then leave the Empire unsatisfied with its economy.

The only thing players would be able to do is add signs to the booth. The chests are already there plus a space to add a tp sign and some advertising signs so it would still be an advertising spot but the focus is on providing a marketplace. Booth's would be limited to one per player (maybe 3 per IP, using 20 alts to drown out the competition is NOT fun for anyone else).
  19. See. This is the other issue I am having overcoming a larger space. If it is bigger, there is probably more valuable resources there that would be a major inconvenience if it goes late. There are some options we have in the resetting to return items to the original owner. But it gets complicated quickly.
    If you let the payments go delinquent, whatever that time may be, I see no reason why the person would not have to rebuild. Mail could be used to send notifications or even login notifications in chat in some way. I do not think we would use the forums in this way.

More complex the structures, the higher risk that comes with what could be lost. I would never want to communicate that there is any permanent qualities where people would feel it is safe to store their belongings on these. Supposed to be relatively temporary with the option to be renewed indefinitely. Just more to consider.
    ShelLuser and finch_rocks_1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.