[Suggestion] Disable /res shout when owner isn't a supporter

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

So this evening I had an awesome time meeting up with my old friend AussieZaid and we even got a quick skin competition going. During which I immediately used /res shout in order to help steer the event. In case you don't know this command: it allows you to say something in residence chat using a cyan color, so you're sure to stand out from the rest.

However... It's also a supporter only command. Which I am at the time of writing, but my friend Aussie is not. So here I was being able to use /res shout (as res. admin) while he wasn't.

I think that's unfair towards the residence owner. That's why I also immediately stopped using it.

But yeah, I think this should be the other way around: when the owner of a residence is a supporter then he and their residence admin(s) (supporter or not) can use /res shout. But when the residence owner isn't a supporter no one should be able to use it. In my opinion this is much more fair towards the residence owner.

Thoughts / comments?
    Blondekid42 and 607 like this.
  2. Yeah but why?
  3. Well, first to make it more fair towards the res. owner (bit of equality) and also to make it compliant with the rest of the features: When a res. owner isn't a supporter then me being supporter doesn't allow me to add more than one residence locations because that's all the owner can have. It's a supporter thing, and the owner in my example isn't a supporter. So why would this apply for res. shout?

But the most pressing reason I can see is to protect residence owners from themselves.

Res. shout can only be used by players who have an admin status on the residence. The current situation could easily lead up to players giving others admin for the sole reason to have someone around who can res. shout during an event. And as we all (should) know: the admin flag can be dangerous.
    607 likes this.
  4. 1. If you think /res shout needs equality your priorities are in all the wrong places.
    2. Other features, these other features are actual changes on a res, which a supporter should have to pay for. /res shout is a message in chat which is a different colour. These have no link what-so-ever.
    3. If people are giving away admin to people just so they can do /res shout they aren't a smart person.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. I can see where you're coming from on this Shel, but the supporter status is exactly that. It's supposed to make you have access to more features than a base player. Apparently gaining extra rupees for supporting is against the EULA, but allowing special shouts seems to be fine. The system is Fair as it is: you support, you get more features. You don't, well then you don't.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  6. I think you meant wouldn't, there. :)

Yup, you're right. This should be rectified. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. Finch hasn't posted in this thread, has he?

... Ah, you edited it to say Shel. But I think that what you are saying does not go against what Shell is saying, and also doesn't apply in that way in this situation.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. ..Or just don't give them admin if you don't want them res shouting. \_(ツ)_/
    Tuqueque likes this.
  9. The other problem: Alts. When an event hoster hosts the event on their alt's res (wich is something quite a lot of people do) they want to be able to shout (when they're supporter, of course) on their alt's residence, due to that being a thing, a -1 from me.
    Tuqueque, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  10. Um... I feel like the most important case presented here is that of someone who does want others res shouting. And can achieve that by giving admin access.

That's a very good point! :)
    Tuqueque likes this.