Soda vs Pop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jossytheninja, Sep 9, 2016.

?

What is the ONLY acceptable way to say it?

Soda 37 vote(s) 54.4%
Pop 18 vote(s) 26.5%
Other (please comment what you call it) 15 vote(s) 22.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quickest way to tell someone is a total n00b is if you hear them say they want a "whiskey and coke". Drink your whiskey straight or on the rocks or don't drink it at all!
    jossytheninja and FWRonald like this.
  2. Well, I have always thought so by your profile pic, but if this is your view, then it must be so. :)

I have lived in the south my entire life, and we have always referred to soda pop as coke, and yes, that would mean any of the potential flavors even offered by the competition such as Pepsi. Why do we do this? Well, the practice is probably more common than you may think. I believe it has to do with originality, or maybe a certain kind of entitlement associated with the creator of an item that is so intertwined with the product that any variation, imitation, or improvement upon thereafter is still referred to as if it were a product of the original inventor / creator.

Here is a link to a site that addresses some of these instances. There may be an instance that you use like we southerners use coke in our reference to soda pop.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56667/41-brand-names-people-use-generic-terms

I would also like to comment on the consumption of soda pop as something I got free from almost 5 yrs ago. I was a mountain dew addict. I try to drink water mostly these days, but find tea, kool-aid, juice and coffee for caffeine intake help put a little flavor in life.

I am curious to see if anyone else comes up with any other specific brand names associated with a product.
  3. Interesting point; tater tots are another thing that have become a universal term that is technically a trademark, if you're interested. :)
  4. I call it Softdraink
    Roslyn likes this.
  5. Hm, interesting.
    I never heard pop, when I wanted to use the word 'frisdrank' I used Google Translate and it gave me 'soda'.
    I don't drink it either way, though, so it doesn't matter much to me.
  6. Just make sure it's pepsico products so it will help my dividend :).
    gladranger7 likes this.
  7. I asked someone the other day if they wanted a sucker and they were like "What the heck is a sucker?" ._.
  8. I've always called it pop
    gladranger7 likes this.
  9. Here's a picture - how many suckers do you see on it? ;)

10. Don't people call that a binky/pacifier?
    AyanamiKun and jossytheninja like this.
  11. ⊂_ヽ
      \\ _
       \( •_•) F
        < ⌒ヽ A
       /   へ\ B
       /  / \\ U
       レ ノ   ヽ_つ L
      / / O
      / /| U
     ( (ヽ S
     | |、\.
     | 丿 \ ⌒)
     | |  ) /
    ノ )  Lノ__
    (/___
  12. I've always called it soda, but some people where I live call it a "soda pop" lol
    I also like how there's already 4 pages in less than 24 hours :p
    jossytheninja and 607 like this.
  13. Less than 12 hours, even. I was surprised, too. :p
    jossytheninja and TromboneSteve like this.
  14. I wonder why they call it soft drink when it is fizzy...
  15. hard drinks are alcoholic, soft drinks are not
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. Soft drink means not alcoholic I believe.
    Ninja'd meh.
  17. Oh. Well I feel stupid..
  18. Sure, some do. Some would say the sucker is behind it. :)
    jossytheninja likes this.
  19. ur all wrong ^.^

its sodapop, sodapop curtis:

the real funny thing is that i have no idea who this is, lolol!
    jossytheninja and BlinkyBinky like this.
  20. He's a character from The Outsiders and just has a weirdo name... though I'm not sure what you'd expect, what with his brother being named "Ponyboy" and all.
    AyanamiKun and jossytheninja like this.