Soda vs Pop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jossytheninja, Sep 9, 2016.

?

What is the ONLY acceptable way to say it?

Soda 37 vote(s) 54.4%
Pop 18 vote(s) 26.5%
Other (please comment what you call it) 15 vote(s) 22.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. In the UK you either say pop so like, "ooh get us a bottle of pop" or Coke. A restaurant in the town I live sells Pepsi, so when you ask for a Coke, they say is Pepsi okay? And of course, it isn't. Also! The words fizzy-drink or soft-drink is used a lot to just say anything which is carbonated.

jk, I love whatever really. Pepsi or Coke.
  2. XD we were just talking about this in my Global Studies class (It's Soda btw) :):):):)
    Kytula and jossytheninja like this.
  3. It is technically called soda, but I usually call it pop myself
    jossytheninja likes this.
  4. Everyone here calls it pop in Canada, and in the US everyone calls it Soda. :p
  5. Being from Ohio originally I say pop, they started selling flavored (mostly fruit flavored), artificially sweetened, carbonated water, I told my offspring it was "Kids Pop" so they would rot their teeth out with the "real" one.
  6. here in colorado it is called Soda
  7. Yes! lol growing up around my family they said this :p But I have to agree with my fellow Texans it's "Coke",then what type from there. Family in Minnesota call it pop though :p
  8. It is actually called liquid sugar.
  9. The difference:

Hey, can I have some soda please?
    Papa, can I drink this soda?
    How much calories does this soda have?

The nemesis:

Hey, can I have some pop please?
    Papa, can I drink this pop?
    How much calories does this pop have?

xD I think soda won. Pop is an outdated word, like ill. No one says, "I'm so ill right now!" ;)
  10. Can't say I have ever said Papa, can I drink this pop? Its usually can I have a pop, at least in my family. The first and third one make sense with either. People still say ill.... also pop is widely used in northern/midwest regions of America, wouldn't say outdated. Now you are gonna tell me chips are called crisps not chips. Tisk.
    In the end no one can really dislike any way of saying it, both are correct, wouldn't say anything is outdated. Also its suckers not lollipops.
    607 likes this.
  11. This. I have never once in my life called anything a "lollipop" :p
  12. Chips. :p
  13. "Pop," isn't outdated, nor is "soda"; "soda pop," on the other hand, has come to sound quite old-fashioned. Usage of soda or pop depends more on location than time.

And style, of course. The really classy ones use "pop." :cool:
    607, Dufne and Keliris like this.
  14. wow dude! u my good sir are not a Coloradoan! U can not simply declare what our states opinion is! its pop DUH!!!! :p
    UltiPig likes this.
  15. Everyone I know (in Arkansas) calls it coke. If you're at a restaurant they'll ask what kind of coke lol.
    UltiPig, Kytula and jossytheninja like this.
  16. Nope its soda :p
  17. -shakes head sadly-
  18. Do you mean to say that you wreak a good Whiskey by putting stuff in it? :eek:
    As one of the older ones (age wise) on the server and being Canadian, I call it pop. ;)
    jossytheninja and gladranger7 like this.
  19. In the soda vs pop debate, I'm a "soda" man. However, I actually just call them by their actual names, Coke, Dr Pepper, Sprite, etc.

Side note: I haven't drank any carbonated beverage in over 2 years. I only drink water, tea, and the occasional glass of orange juice.