So what does someone have to be to get this kind of favored treatment in EMC?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by jaqiefox, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please refrain from publicly posting names in the forums.

- IcecreamCow

I am really REALLY *REALLY* sick of this. Same people. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I log in now.
  2. Saying one line or so of caps, if appropriate, and not just for the sake of being disruptive, is not considered breaking rules.

I mean, look at the post you just made. You used caps for emphasis. It's not against the rules to use capitol letters in chat. It's against the rules to use them to the point where you are making chat unusable or overly distracting to other players.
  3. so entire lines several times in a row isn't an offense? That's funny, I have seen people kicked by other mods for just that, for much less actually, as well. I have also seen people get short bans for this. Not even to mention the insulting language these two people use nonstop.

"WTF" and "ur mom" and things like that are instant kick for some mods, others (like you) seem to go "so?"

This is the double standard I am speaking of, plain and clear as day. these two are getting away with crap that others are kicked or even banned for, and they are doing it basically nonstop.

Not to mention the supposed claim of keeping track of players for repeated offense and giving them worse punishments... which most definitely isn't happening with these two.

Look, I'll make it plain. I don't care which way the rules go here, what I care about is double standards and letting some people get away with what others are kicked and even banned for. One way or the other for cripe's sake, not both!
  4. 5. Thou Shalt Not Spam The Chat

Do not type jargon, nonsense, unsolicited shop ads, or repeated messages in the chat. Note that typing in all capital letters is effectively yelling. If you yell inappropriately that is considered spamming the chat. Flagrant chat spamming will result in a ban without warning.
    - Video reenactment
    mba2012 likes this.
  5. Exactly. And this rule is not enforced half the time and overenforced at other times.... or more to the point, overenforced with some people and not enforced with others.
  6. Wait what? Is this post about favoritism or something like that? Because i dont see that in EMC, every mod are different, dont expect that all the mods must be the same. About Maxarias banning you: next time you write that kind of message to a mod, 1- Dont be so rude, 2- Its a moderator, they also has feelings.I know you wouldnt like a person that treats you like that. 3- Think two times when you will rage toward a mod.
    P.S: Dont worry, people who dont obey the rules will receive what they deserve in any time.
  7. sonic, as I said in my first post (which I thought I had made very clear) that is over and done, I don't care, I was using that as an example of the unevenness in this... and as well, I wasn't being rude in the slightest. Im actually talking about what happens to others here, both good and bad. I have seen people getting banned for as much as saying one word in all caps in open chat, and this kind of thing above goes totally unpunished, even so much as they are allowed to do this continually for weeks.

I also have never "raged to a mod" so I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have also learned that your P.S. is just not true.
  8. From my experience on EMC, if people are excessively using caps, not only the moderators, but other EMC players generally say "Watch the caps" or give a warning to some degree. Like many moderators have posted, they don't always do everything out loud. They might /tell and give the person a warning, or they might leave a note on the player's moderation page so future moderators can be like "Ok, he knows this is wrong, so I should make this action."

Report buttons are nice, but with the constant amount of reports being made, it takes a while for moderators to take action. If you've ever played any other online games, you'll notice the EMC staff is a highly effective one when it comes to helping the community. The moderators here don't LIKE banning people. A lot of the time, a simple warning suffices. I understand your frustration with other people being disrespectful, rude, or vulgar to a very high degree, but it takes time to moderate all of this. Be patient, and if one moderator doesn't respond, PM another, but not in a spam-like way.

I also know several people with the same condition as yours, and of all of them, I feel like you are the most... dignified? You make a valid point and it's easy for us to feel your frustration. If you ever have a problem, PM me, and I'll make sure my brother looks at it.
    mba2012, jaqiefox, ISMOOCH and 2 others like this.
  9. Thank you. It's obvious they know it's against the rules, and it's literally been weeks since this whole cherade has started, which is why I have been bringing it up in the first place.

As for me being HFA, I try to be eloquent for the sake of eloquence, and like I said, I am also gifted with above genius level of intelligence so I try using that in ways that I am capable of, others which have this may not be capable of getting these points across but I have spent much effort over literally decades (I am 35) trying to learn how to get the point across eloquently and concisely.

Oh, and as for gaming I have played since the early days... I beta tested one of the first MMORPGs ever, and have been gaming ever since. That makes.... oh gawd, 15 years straight of online gaming...and before that all the way back to the era before there was such a thing as an IBM PC or x86. I know for the most part the moderation here is above reproach, but I see a huge glaring gaping flare of a hole here and I'm trying to find out exactly where the stance is supposed to be.
  10. There is never going to be any EXACT similarities with how moderaters do their moderating. Since we're not robots, it's silly to expect that. What you can count on is that rule breakers will always get what's coming to them eventually. If a certain person is bothering you, simply report them and do /ignore and they will be out of YOUR hair that instant, regardless of action taken against them. There's really no better way than this. :)
    mba2012 likes this.
  11. Still, i wanted to quote what you put as an example because it capture my attention, so sorry for going of topic. Well i think you rage, maybe, i cant tell, i respect your opinion but My P.S is true, even if a person broke the rules 1 year ago, it will surely would get what they deserve, margaritte and crazy for example punished them (by that i mean: Kick them) Normally caps gives you Kick, when its intense Tempban or even ban. If u feel frustrated about the in EMC injsutice (wich i still doubt about it :p) or something like that (and many of the mods already told you, so sorry for repeating :oops:) just PM, show them screenshots and they will get what they deserve.
  12. Also, if i am making you feel frustrated or uncomfortable i am sorry :oops:, i didnt mean too.
    jaqiefox likes this.
  13. Heh…so many people forget the /ignore command. We should really emphasize the wonders of that more. Well said, IcC, well said.
    mba2012, jaqiefox and sonicol1 like this.
  14. So there will never be a hard and fast rule for this? That's a huge problem, and it's what is causing the problem above.

I sincerely hope you change your mind on this and put in some sort of quantitative rule for things which can be looked up by mods and players alike so they know exactly what is and is not allowed. This is what's causing this whole problem, a wishy-washy lack of an exact definition and rule as to what kind of caps and/or language is allowed.

I submit this as a simple example:
    Anyone using all capitols for any single line of text which is more than five letters AND more than one word long is breaking server rules.
    Anyone using all capitols for any single line of text which is more than ten letters long AND one word long only is breaking server rules.
    Anyone using all capitols in two lines or more in a row is breaking server rules.
    Anyone using more than three continuous non-period punctuation is breaking server rules.

Anyone that is using either abbreviated acronyms for cursewords or misspellings of cursewords including symbols or the correct spelling of cursewords is breaking server rules. The list of words that ARE allowable which some people consider cursewords are: crap, hell, damn, (et cetra). Use these in moderation as they are subject to spam rules as well.
  15. I have half the server SMP5 on ignore because they simply annoy me. I know and use it more than probably most anyone else does. There is a difference between annoying me and blatant rule breaking. If I have to follow the rules, everyone else has to as well.

That having been said, many people simply do not use the ignore function enough.
  16. I'm sure our mods have much fairer judgement than a true set of rules. It really varies from situation to situation. I'd let the mods trust their judgment.
  17. The problem is, as ICC just said, it's going to inherently be uneven and unfair across moderators.
  18. Well being one of the new mods I can tell you that I am pretty strict with the rules on the server I happen to be on. You can ask the people on SMP9 just how I treat spam and caps. I am not afraid to tell someone to stop it, to kick them, or to ban them if it is needed. Unfortunately I also play the game and check the forums, and perform various other things so I may not always see what is said in chat. Though I am new I try to make it a point to check our reporting system often to keep an eye out for the offenses I am certain I can handle. Reports on hacks, flying, and things like that I generally steer away from right now due to still getting used to how things work.

As for your feelings that things are a double standard here on EMC, I am sorry but if you take 4 people and show them the same thing more than likely you will get a different response. That response can also be affected by other factors as well. For instance if I am on a server and I have been having an issue with several people either spamming chat, using caps too much, or anything else my patience will eventually start to run low. I may throw out a blanket warning and then kick or ban the next person that breaks that rule. I have done it already. I am not saying ever Mod is like this. Heck look at the police, not every one they pull over for the same thing gets the same ticket. It really depends on history, their attitude, and just plain how that police officer feels...we are the same here.

Lastly, just for your information, if you happen to report anyone for something and you feel that the report was ignored send me a PM and I will look into it. I hope this will help to alleviate your concerns a little.
    ZBSDKryten, NurseKilljoy and ISMOOCH like this.
  19. Thank you. The very problem though is the varying strictness and varying "personal levels" of rules since there is no hard and fast list to go by...
  20. I completely agree. I wish that there was a little more moderation consistency. If one moderator bans someone for spam for a day, and another would only so 5 hours, I understand that. But some moderators might be more harsh. It would be a somewhat large project to come up with a moderation rubric, but I've thought of this a lot and would happy make a demo and give it to a staff member to view.
    jaqiefox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.