So I looked at the new 1.9 snapshots..

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Hmm... Yes I suppose she wasn't directing it towards me... Well, now the world (not really...) knows a bit more... :p
  2. Yup! The fill clocks are much better, even if your computer is super beefy. Basically, some of the new variants make the command run even faster than a fill clock, causing major lag.[/quote]

agreed my laptop hard drive crashed in the snapshot it cost me 25 dollars to fix :(
  3. A another snapshot released today. There may haven't been any notable features found at the moment,
    BUT:

Dinnerbone stated that : » B o a t s « : are in the works!

This great news reminds me about what Mojang has been trying to achieve with each of these major updates to Minecraft. They're attempting to solve one major complaint with the game at a time:

*1.7 - Lack of interest in terrain.
    *1.8 - Low performance for most players and Empty Oceans.
    *1.9 - Lack of interest in combat and The End and The Unreliability of Boats
    607 likes this.
  4. I'd be happy with just being able to get out the things without them shooting off into the distance, but I'd also take being able to fire an arrow from them.
  5. Finding a solution could be complicated.

A: Players and mobs can't push boats.
    B: Boats eject their contents further away than they did before, so they don't accidentally push them upon dismounts.
    C+: ?
  6. It could be as simple as players/mobs directly on top of a boat cannot move it. Then when the boat ejects the player, it ejects them on top of the boat, and the player can run off of it.
    ForeverMaster0 likes this.
  7. That seems like a good idea. When a player or mob dismounts a boat, their feet are teleported ≈ 1 meter vertically above the boat. Since a boat floats slightly above a block with water/lava and the player's hitbox is 1.5 meters tall, a clearance of three blocks above the water would the dismounting player safe from suffocation damage.

Another neat, but possibly complicated idea would be to apply inertia to unseated entities in contact with the boat's hitbox.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  8. First of all: this is not my discovery, a guy called DarkSilver32 discovered this behavior and shared it on the Minecraft forums. I tried to reproduce and what do you know?

If you attach an Ender dragon head to a dispenser and then shoot firecharges "through" the head you'll actually generate dragon breath (I still think dragon spit is a much better name for it though :D):

I assume this to be a glitch, but I really hope this behavior was intended and will stay in the game, because it really makes fighting the Enderdragon a whole more profitable. If you got a head then you got all you'd need to mass-produce dragon breath potions which are required for making lingering potions.

And of course that's just the peaceful approach, this thingie also makes an excellent long-range cannon. Just look what happens when I remove the target:

Just so you know: dragon breath is deadly, you'll easily lose 3 hearts per tick:

So yeah, some cool new discoveries in the upcoming version.
    ChickenDice, PenguinDJ, 607 and 2 others like this.
  9. Oooh! I wonder how long that has been in there! That's really cool, now the Ender Dragon head has a purpose other than looks! Why'd you think it'd be a glitch? I definitely think it's intended.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  10. I hope this gets used for the edges of mob arena. Making it less worth it to hide to a side and you have to go into the middle.
  11. I heard you guys like to fly...

Those do look like Dragon Wings.
    ForeverMaster0, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  12. ShelLuser likes this.
  13. The snapshot is now out, based on reddit comments, here it is:
    • Elytra (Definition: each of the two wing cases of a beetle.)
    • Chestplate slot
    • Deploys when you fall ~3 blocks
    • Takes damage based on how far you fly
    • Repairable but not enchantable. Can add Unbreaking with anvil though.
    And for boats:

• Available in each wood
    • Shovel in the middle with the normal recipe to craft
    • You now paddle with A and D (PE edition leaking in)
    • No steering by looking.
    • Controls are a bit inverted. Hold A to go right, hold D to go left.
    • 180 degree viewing area. (Cannot turn completely around)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  14. I think the new boats and especially Elytra will make me use third person perspective much more. What do you prefer for flying? First or third person?
    ShelLuser and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  15. Third
    607 likes this.
  16. Definetly 3rd. First person if you're into the scenery and want that FPS plane flying sim 2020
    607 likes this.
  17. Wow... more crazy stuff :p Dinnerbone was making a new enchantment:
    I don't know what you think, but to me it's clear enough: water walking boots! :cool:
    SkyDragonv8 likes this.
  18. I am more attracted towards the cracks in the ice. Possible momentum could break the ice?
  19. So today I'm not really feeling all that well (little bit of a soar sore throat, think I might have caught a small bit of the flu) and I'm less motivated to do things (still trying to get the next chapter of the story out, we've cooked up an awesome plot twist! but no promises, sorry :confused:). Alas, still not sure when I should make dinner (I know I should, and I will) so I fired up the snapshot...

First of all I have to re-evaluate my negative opinion on the golden apples. In 1.9 their effects have drastically shortened which makes me believe that they're no longer that much overpowered (which is what the achievement implies after all). Well, I can now understand why: eating food will also replenish your health a bit! So I'm not talking about getting the bar all filled up and seeing the slow regen kick in, I'm talking healing effects:

Here I only got 3 hearts, my food is also plenty low and I'm going to eat 1 carrot. Watch what happens:

See? I got an extra heart, even though my food bar isn't even filled yet. In total I gained 2 hearts by merely eating a carrot. I'm pretty sure that this is by design, so if eating food also heals you a bit then I think it makes perfect sense that the golden apple's effects have been a little reduced. After all: the effects of food in total have been enhanced.

Like I said: I'm not feeling too well right now so when I saw the new boats I was pretty negative. I mean: they ruined boats!

Like Sky said above you now need to use a shovel in order to craft them, and as you can see all wood types can be used to create different kinds of boats. Dark oak boats for those secret covert operations?

So when I crafted one and placed it I had to admit that it looks pretty decent:

And you know what? It's actually not that bad at all, it's good fun!

As said above: A and D need to be pushed to peddle; it basically rotates the peddles. And peddling left will steer you to the right whereas peddling right makes you go left. Using both together makes you go forward. The speed is pretty much pre-determined, I can't find a way to make it peddle faster. But that's ok in my book because boats are already using a prefixed speed right now.

And finally the cape... or Elytra.

I dunno :confused:

It looks decent enough, though I hope we can somehow dye it because that greyish look doesn't really cut it for me. I tried with dyes and banners but no luck so far (I didn't try very hard).

And what do you know, we can glide now:

Steering is quite annoying. I couldn't make it go up again at first but that was because I was trying to use the control keys. Instead you need to use your mouse to look at different areas and then you'll make the cape move you there.

It's decent enough, it's kind of exciting (I wonder what kind of reward this will be, as mentioned you cannot craft this one but you'll need to find it. It sounds plausible that it might be a reward in an End tower, though your guess is as good as mine).

In all honesty its more fun than I anticipated, though I don't see myself actively trying to get hold of this cape because well... It is good fun, but I like walking and using a horse better :)
    607, ChickenDice and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  20. Did you catch the Bird Flu?
    607, ShelLuser, Hashhog and 1 other person like this.