[SMP8 PTU] SMP8 Town Backups

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BankingClan, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello People! This thread is an Online SMP8 Utility, where people can download SMP8 TOWN World Backups for fun and exploration!

Feel free to post screenshots of your findings!

December 5th, 2016:
    (removed by staff)

April 8th, 2018:
    (removed by staff)

Hopefully this will be done every 6 months from now on :)

Thread nonlonger has use, closing
    UltiPig and khixan like this.
  2. These links are also available in the SMP8 Utilities Discord: https://discord.gg/5E9QwsG

How to play in this world downloads:

-Click link and click the green download button
    -Unzip file (This will give you a folder)
    -Take this folder to your saves folder
    -Have fun!
  3. 2016 Spawn

2018 Spawn

4. WOW this is really cool! This is a mighty big ask, but do you think you could do this for SMP3 as well?

I wish I could see what SMP3 spawn was like years ago before I started on EMC, that would be awesome!
    Tuqueque likes this.
  5. To do this I would have had to download the town world back then, so I don't have it. but... I can download current townworld, so in the future, people can look back to it. (I will download other smps soon enough :) )
    EvilTruman likes this.
  6. Can you do a current utopia and smo6
    BankingClan likes this.
  7. smp2 plz
    BankingClan likes this.
  8. bump

smp3 is downloaded btw, will work on others during the weekend

and I'll publish download links when they are all ready
  9. bump...
    have not had time to do other smps..
    I'm going to try to do these whenever I can
  10. That last skyscraper picture I recognize from planet minecraft, whoever build that just used schematica to copy it, whoopsies :p
    BankingClan likes this.
  11. Are these schematic files?
    Tuqueque likes this.
  12. World saves (a folder)
  13. Yes.. I finally can use EMC town in my graphics lol
    Tuqueque likes this.
  14. Bump! Changed from mediafire to google drive, storage wise
  15. Hmm, well this is an interesting idea, and I fully understand the reasoning after the recent debacle that took place on SMP5. However, according to the rules listed in the Conditionally Allowed Mods Page :

"Do not use the mod to save any area that you are not intended to have access to normally. Example: Other players' builds that you did not ask permission to view."

As such, I am not crazy about people just willy-nilly downloading my residences, which is prompting a potential suggestion for a new residence permission found here. Having downloaded my own residences in the past and knowing it is difficult to ensure you get your entire res without clipping your neighbors, I can see where a developer tweak for a permission setting could be nice, as I don't want to be the bad guy in this kind of scenario either.

That being said, I feel the Empire is still doing an amazing job keeping backups (daily) of our residences. Even the instance on smp5 was only out 2 days on tag usage alone. I do not see the need for entire town downloads in such a manner that there is any possible way you are going door-to-door asking permission of every resident.

This is not intended to shoot down the good intentions of a fellow Empire player, but rather offered to bring light on the this topic for discussion.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    EvilBlo likes this.
  16. Not sure what you mean here (been away the last weeks), but, to my knowledge smp5 just had a loss with resident tags.

Having a timecapsule of town doesnt really brake this rule, as anyone can just walk in town...

I completely disagree with you on this one. Although the system is good, is not perfect. The Derelict auto claiming system is not at all good, and well I know of some cases that players had their own backups and staff had backups, but staff are unable to bring it back, even if it was an error of the system.

Before I changed the download links, the files had like 30 downloads, and I know 3 of them have helped players get back their builds which were deleted for X reason.

Also there is this:

And well, the aim this Utility has is to provide future players a look of what was like EMC in previous years/updates, and well, to have a readily available backup of their res, even if they thought they didn't need it.

Also, if you want to have a further discussion please dont use this thread :)
    EntityAI and khixan like this.
  17. True, anyone can walk in town, but not anyone can access some of residences or parts of them. What about residences with move permission turned off? Or residences having specific locations, that you normally wouldn't have an access to without knowing the location name? Or residences that have a maze built on them? Those are just few that came in mind first.
    World downloader bypasses all of those restrictions/privacy we have in place here on EMC. I personally find it only fair (and according to rule) to ask for residence download permission.

Why though? The discussion, in my opinion, is very much in place. It is not like you are providing a service of downloading residences where owners asked it specifically for their own residence (I think Shel had such service a while back). Instead, if I understand it correctly, anyone can ask some residences to be downloaded they have no say over at all and the downloads are going to be massively public.
    Probably, better way in this case would be to stick to screenshots only, like in the post earlier, where we clearly can see the difference and changes within years. That is something anyone normally could access, as you always can see one's builds above ground, but not always (extremely rarely actually) access the underground part/facilities/whatever.
  18. Responding on the part of staff here:

If it's not EMC's own backup of a residence, then it's not valid proof of what was on a residence before reset because it can be manipulated prior.

Now, with regards to this further, our developer team is working on (after current projects) a manner to backup all residences at the time of deletion. This way if someone loses their plot due to being derelict, they need only choose a new location and load in their derelict file. It's a while off, but this is one of our goals to help with players that go derelict.

The downloading of an entire world is a pretty big deal and there are limitations in place for a good reason. You should NEVER download an area that is a part of an event you plan to take part in. You should never use world download to bypass restrictions in place by EMC, such as move permissions. You should ALWAYS ask permission before downloading someone's residence.

As such, I wish we had known about this particular project earlier. I kindly ask that you remove the save files from public access and will be removing the links to the location. If you wish to catalog historical moments of EMC, please utilize screenshots and single residence downloads you've been granted permission to download.

Thanks,
    EMC Staff
    Kryarias likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.