[SUGGESTION] World DL Res Flag

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by KnightZer0ne, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Recent events have prompted the use of world downloader for players to make their own backups of residences and even some taking it to new levels of the entire town. I feel the Empire does an exceptional job in this department already, and as such it is not really necessary for players to do so.

After recently being made aware of this statement: "Do not use the mod to save any area that you are not intended to have access to normally. Example: Other players' builds that you did not ask permission to view." found in the Conditionally Approved Mods page in relation to World Downloader, I would like to suggest a new flag be developed to prohibit the downloading of one's residence if one so desires to prevent such.

I believe world downloader to be a great tool for importing an existing build into a single player format so that it can be designed more efficiently via creative mode for future reference in completing a build. If the developers can figure out a way to make such a flag, I believe it would make the use of World Download a more acceptable means of working in one's neighborhood. As those around you could simply turn off WDL if they do not want you to DL their residences, it would no longer fall on the shoulders of the unknowing WDL user to prevent accidental copying, but rather the residence owner to toggle such off in a new permission flag.

As such, I know this may be a technical hurdle to overcome, hence the suggestion part, but I have great confidence if anyone can figure this out, our development team is the one to tackle it. Otherwise, I look forward to what future discussions may provide on this topic so it is not such a gray area. I also look forward to what others may think on this issue.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    SkeleTin007, NuclearBobomb and 607 like this.
  2. I am fairly sure there is no way to implement this.
    607, FadedMartian and Krysyy like this.
  3. While I would love to have this, as I have things I’d like to keep secret, I don’t see how it’s technically possible.

My understanding is that World Downloader operates on client side, meaning the server isn’t involved and, I believe, the server doesn’t even know it’s happening. The mod simply grabs the loaded chunks and saves them. The permissions do however prevent anything inside containers getting saved, so there is at least something prevented in World downloader

It’s just one of those things that you wish you could stop, but there just isn’t a feasible way to do so.
    607 likes this.
  4. We have asked for this in the past from the developers and it wasn't feasible. That is why the wording of that rule exists the way that it does. So while it would be WONDERFUL, world downloader just doesn't really work in a way that we can effectively block in this manner.
    607, FadedMartian and SkeleTin007 like this.
  5. The World Downloader mod should sponsor EMC and make an update specifically to make this possible. :cool:
  6. I can practically guarantee there's a version of World Downloader out there that bypasses that setting though, making the flag feel like it's foolproof when in reality it can be bypassed (unlike the other flags).
    willies952002 and 607 like this.
  7. I know, but it will control those that use the official release, which I HOPE everyone that is using WDL is using, especially since the other one, as of the last time I checked, is not on the allowed mods list. (much emphasis)
    ThaKloned and 607 like this.
  8. I use this mod when I need to work on an upgrade on my res. So much easier in SP lol I also like the idea of the flag (if possible) just because some people don't want their builds/res just downloaded by anyone.
  9. I actually thought about this day before yesterday, coincidentally... for both World Downloader & Schematica-like mods

Implementation: By default having both be enabled, but if your residence had a flag to disable it, it replaces the block in the selected ranges with a defaulted block (say black concrete or dirt)

I have wanted to look into this, but preventing it would be a giant hurdle, so is not a current priority.

----
    The saving/loading individual residences, however, is currently being worked on, already, for backup purposes.

https://track.emc.gs/issue/EMC-124

Though, it is a nifty thought to have it so you could get a link to download a schematic of your residence.
    But that would have to be owner of residence, only.
    EvilBlo, ThaKloned and 607 like this.