[SELLING] Bulk Basalt & Obsidian at 1070@b smp1 [966]

Discussion in 'Selling' started by Egeau, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Whello there everyone,

TomvanWijnen and I are selling basalt, smooth basalt, and obsidian at 1070@b on smp1.

Price for basalt: 1296r per DC
    Price for smooth basalt: 1350r per DC
    Price for obsidian: 1856r per stack

For both basalt and smooth basalt, there are 32 DCs with shop signs, with another 50+ DCs of storage refilling the shop quickly. The buying quantities are 27 stacks, 9 stacks and 1 stack.
    For obsidian, there currently are two DCs in stock, with buying quantities of 1, 32, 64 and nine stacks. The obsidian shop is going to be expanded in the future, but this will do for now.
    Bulk buying is encouraged

To visit the shop, you can teleport to 1070@b, wherein the “b” stands either for Basalt or oBsidian. Alternatively, you can teleport to 966 to go to our central hub

If you are looking for a specific large amount, feel free to PM us, and I’m sure that we can figure something out.

Thanks and have fun!
  2. Smooth basalt is now sold here too!

It is thoroughly stocked. :)

Walking around in the area with a clean 1.17 client, I can tell the fps issues here have gotten worse. Combined for the Stones shop, this Basalt and Obsidian shop, and the wool shop, there are almost 4000 chests on these residences, and, to fill those, roughly 3000 hoppers and 5000 packed ice. The redstone now also uses roughly a DC of observers and a similar amount of comparators.
    Tom and I wouldn’t be able to run these bulk shops without automation: I wouldn’t transfer and smelt these amounts of items by hand, even if I would have the time to do it, so this is what it is. As far as I know, there isn’t a better, more practical way to have a few thousand DCs of stock in Minecraft. (No, shulkerboxes won't cut it either :p )
    I’m sorry for the inconvenience :p
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  3. If I may recommend something. Perhaps a system to buy shulker boxes full of the stuff? A system can be made to easily fill the box full of the material.

To not increase the price, you can make a system that dispenses shulker boxes full of cobble if you sell an empty shulker box. It would decrease the amount of chests you need drastically but would require a bit of a design revamp. It would cut your chest usage by around a third.

Surely a person of your wealth could make this happen if lag really is a worry.
    Egeau likes this.
  4. I don’t know how this ended up this long… I guess I had a lot to say :p

Just because I feel like I should sate this first: it's mostly client-side lag that is the problem here. I re-tested the server lag on the creative world from which we schematica, and according to my calculations, it would use roughly 1/10th of the available server performance for SMP1, which I think it reasonable, especially since I don’t afk there if there are more than 5-6 people online.

Okay, so:

Tom and I have played with designs for shulker box systems quite a lot. It is probably the most requested feature for these shops, and we do have the shulker boxes required to fill everything up.

Your system is, I think, not something I could implement. If I understand you correctly, I would need players to sell shulker boxes for a negative price to me, to then dispense them a shulker filled with cobble. I don’t know if negative sell prices are possible, but, if they are, I don’t think I would be able to make it fool-proof: I would have to make sure that in whatever pattern someone buys, the shop sign will be blocked off (or the chest will be filled) whenever the cobblestone is out of stock, as to not skam players. I would also need to make sure that it is completely unload-safe. I don’t want a system that breaks when someone teleports away in the wrong moment. Lastly, if I would want to replace parts of the current shop with this system, instead of using it complementary, I would have to make sure that every part of its operation is properly communicated through signs, and cannot be misunderstood.
    The most problematic, however, is that it allows players to accuse me of scamming them out, when either they didn’t understand the system, when they didn’t find the chest (I would dispense to an [access] chest,) or when some other than them quickly took the shulkerbox. I don’t think I would get in trouble for it by staff, but it would be quite bothersome to have happen every now and then, especially since I sometimes don’t play for weeks, and frequently do so during online lectures, where I cannot really respond to people.

The system I am considering implementing works as follows:

There are two chest (arrays), one that sells full shulkers, another that buys empty shulkers.
    The chest with empty shulkers is always full, and is buying them for a price that is quite high. The price of a full shulker is the SC price + the too high empty shulker price.
    Whenever someone buys a full shulker, a slot opens op in the chest that lets players sell empty shulkers with some comparator magic, allowing the customer to get that high shulker price back by selling empty shulkers.
    Whenever someone doesn’t sell empty shulkers, the high price means someone else will probably do so.

This system has a lot less issues: It doesn’t have the scamming issue, whenever someone doesn’t understand it properly, they are still just buying a shulker of materials for a price, or selling a shulker for another, both of those are “natural tasks” that don’t require explaining, or can cause people to feel cheated off in a way that they think would be illegal as much as the other. Running out of stock isn’t an issue that can break the system either. However, I would still need to make sure the redstone is unload-safe, something that is a lot harder in 1.15+ than 1.12.

There are also new issues: it would require a whole lot more shulker boxes to run, and the redstone would be a bit larger.

There are also some minor issues both systems have: I would probably need to set up a shulker box quality control system, which aren’t unload-safe, and I would have to make sure with every update that it doesn’t break on EMC at the day EMC updates, to make sure no one can scam it when something works differently on EMC than in vanilla.

-

The second thing, when talking about lag prevention, is doing the backlog in shulker boxes. This would definitely decrease the amount of both server and client lag, but it would be rather unpractical with the amount of backlog we have. Fitting all the backlog for all the shops would require 36DCs of shulker boxes, more than a DC of shells. If I were to throw 9 stacks of shulker shells into this system, I would decrease the amount of lag by less than 20%. For the amount of effort this would be, that seems rather unpractical. Maybe if, because of 1.17, the shulker shell price drops drastically, but not right now.
    I should explain how the backlog works: we have the shops themselves, those should always be filled, such that someone could buy a whole lot at once without waiting, and the backlog, which is supposed to keep us automatically stocked in between people buying stuff, giving us time to restock without having to worry about the shop only being half-filled. We just have to afk for a few hours whenever someone buys out a lot to fill the shop back up, and then can refill the backlog whenever it suits us, since we sometimes don’t play for a few weeks.
    It is more practical, I think, to keep trying to decrease the amount of backlog for different shops. I am probably going to decrease the amount of wool we have in backlog: people usually never buy more than 6DC per colour in between the times I can run the farm, and our farm is fast enough, so I don’t need to have 50DC per colour, and can probably get away with decreasing it to 20, as well as decreasing the amount of sheep. The same is true for basalt. Currently, it is a direct copy of our stone + smooth stone system with different aesthetics, but the amount of backlog we used for the stones might not be necessary with the Basalt.

Lastly, no, I won’t reduce the amount of chests for the shops themselves. People have bought ~70DCs at a time, and our whole business model is the fact that people can do that.

-

To sum up: I don’t think shulker boxes are the answer to lag prevention in this case. For shops, they can, in my opinion, only be complementary to the system we have right now, and, for backlog, it is quite impractical.

However, I am aware that a lot of people want the option to buy shulkers instead of items, and I am working on that. It’s just rather complicated to get it working smoothly enough for me to be comfortable with using it.

-

I really think that, for now, people are just going to have to do with the fact that you will get 11fps when you have an old cpu and a unmodded client. With a properly optimised client my PC (i5 4670, GTX960, 8GB allocated RAM / 16GB total.) can still run it with 60fps, which I think is more than reasonable. Yes, some people might find it a bit choppy, but you’re just here for a few minutes to buy some items, it’s not the end of the world. Ultimately, it’s mostly my problem: I am the one who has to build there. :p
    TomvanWijnen and Unoski like this.
  5. Why don't u buy a few stacks of shulker shells from me, sell the boxes full of materials, pass the price on to the customer? Most people buying stuff for a few thousand r will happily pay the extra for a shulker box too, and it would save you alot of headaches